TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Lack of presets

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Jer in Toronto, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Jer in Toronto

Hi,

I take delivery (P85) in the third week of April. Very excited.

One small complaint I have after several test drives - and this could be addressed with a firmware upgrade (though not sure it will be...):

From what I can tell on my test drive, the 17" display has no favorite preset options - for favorite radio stations, phone numbers to call, favorite locations for nav, favorite websites... This is one thing I'll miss about my current BMW 550xi - the 8 hard buttons are customizable such that button 1 calls my wife's cell, 2 calls my father, 3 is E-street radio, 4 calls my office, etc.. Looking at the MS interface, if I wanted to call my wife quickly, I would have to find her in recent calls etc.. While it's true that she would likely be in recent calls, it wouldn't be unheard of to think of a phone number that you would want to have easy quick access to but would not be in one of your recent lists.

If I were designing the apps, I would make each button across the top of the screen a little smaller and add one more for a "Preset screen" - this screen would include 20 buttons in two columns - one on the right and one on the left - all customizable to be set to phone numbers, radio stations, nav locations, or websites. Such a change would in my view improve the functionality and enjoyment of the car substantially. Has anyone else discussed such a feature?

J

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Presets are there. You just need to hit the heart button which brings up all of your favorite selections.

Best way for calls is to hit recents, and it brings up the numbers you use most. Easy and only two clicks. For the obscure number, I will use my contacts.

3. Jer in Toronto

my apologies - I guess I missed the preset screen for radio stations. what about for locations and websites? Also, I'm often on the road and make and receive numerous calls throughout the day. It could easily happen that my wife (for instance) would fall off the recent calls list (replaced by clients, etc etc) - so it still seems that a preset function for phone numbers would be handy, no?

4. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

For calls I usually use the voice commands.

The web browser has favourites...

5. Jer in Toronto

I have to admit, while I love almost everything about the Model S, I was unimpressed with the voice command functionality - and I was using it properly. The Tesla rep showed me how to push the button and when to speak - my problem is a) it was often inaccurate and b) most importantly, it took too long to "process" and understand what I was saying. It seemed easier to just go to the dial pad and dial the number...

6. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

Locations and websites can also be set as favorites. Location favorites was just added in the latest 5.9 update. It also has a Home and Work spot for locations.
    I prefer using voice controls for any phone dialing as well as navigation personally. By all means though, if you prefer it another way send a note to Ownership. That is how the car gets better over time.

7. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Radio presets live on the bottom of the radio app. To enter a preset, touch and hold the preset button and it will change to your currently tuned-in station. Easy.

8. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

I have presets setup in the various applications also, but for the phone I have never had any trouble using the voice commands.

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Tip on the voice commands: pause a full second after the "bong" before speaking.

10. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I have yet to use the radio, or XM in 1.5 years! I use Tunein and Slacker for everything!

11. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

Yours came with a bong??? I KNEW I should have waited for a later model!!! But wait...you got a really early model. I guess I should have placed my order earlier!!!

12. liuping

liuping Active Member

Also, don't let go of the button until you are done talking. That messed me up for a few days (being used to Siri), and I thought the voice command were totally useless. :)

13. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

WHAT? Is that why I can barely get them to work?!? I press the button until the bong, then talk. It works... poorly, and I gave up. Is this a case of RTFM that I missed? I know someone who's talking to their car later ;)

Edit: Yes, it was:

Well... crap.

14. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I've found voice command to be great. Gets it right about 95% of the time for me, if you use it properly. Only challenge is when going 60 mph with the pano roof...but even then it will work if you speak a little bit louder and lean toward the microphone.

15. Jer in Toronto

The bigger problem I seemed to have was not with accuracy - it was that it took too damn long for it to "process" and then initiate whatever action I was asking it to initiate... anyone else have that problem?

16. Todd Burch

It normally takes anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds, depending on the 3G coverage at the time the command is sent. Not super-fast, but the delay doesn't bother me. I usually only use it a few times a day.

17. invisik

invisik Member

...with the pano roof open at 60 mph... right? I assumed so, just clarifying. My car comes in 4 days!!

-m

18. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I just knew when I wrote that, that someone would go there...

Right, should have pointed that out too. Procedure is:

1. Press and hold button
    2. Wait for "bong" sound
    3. Pause
    4. Speak clearly (FYI the mic is above you, behind the rear view mirror.)
    5. Let go of button

If you follow these steps, the voice recognition is very reliable. Within reason - don't try to ask it to play Deadmau5. You'll get music about mice...

19. SeattleSid

SeattleSid Member

The most helpful advice I've gotten re voice commands was to use "where is" for navigation. "Drive to" or "navigate to" seems to confuse the poor little feller, "to" vs "two."

20. Todd Burch

Doug, I request Deadmau5 all the time. The trick? Request "Dead mau" (as in Mao Zedong). Works like a charm for me :).

- - - Updated - - -

Haha, important clarification: Yes, with the pano roof open.