TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Lack of rear usb in new console, big oversight...

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by zambono, May 24, 2016.

1. zambono

zambono Member

So they design a functional new center console and still the rear passengers don't get usb ports. Common now. I understand that they are currently 2 pieces, but if they are going to do the R&D for the console, just slightly modify the armrest part as well and add the ports. If the X didn't have them, one could argue that they didn't think they were necessary or whatever, but clearly they are aware they are useful yet they chose to omit them.

2. bro1999

bro1999 Member

FWIW, the Bolt EV will have 2 USB ports for rear passengers. ;)

3. zambono

zambono Member

I am sure the Cruze does as well. The new Cruze, a compact vehicle sub $20k has features missing in Model S such as mobile hotspot, Carplay, Auto or at least a decent custom interface, etc...

4. bro1999

bro1999 Member

#4 bro1999, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
    Just pointing out that it seems to be a rather glaring omission from a $70k+ vehicle...especially one that is known for being cutting edge tech wise, while a lowly Chevy will have them. :p I think even the cheapo Chevy Spark offers 4G LTE and mobile hotspot standard. People can criticize GM all their want, but they have jumped on the "connectivity" wagon pretty hard. Many GM vehicles also offer Android Auto and/or Apple Carplay standard too.

5. cman8

cman8 Member

I doubt the USB ports are considered cutting edge although I do agree that it is kinda silly that they dont put them in. As well as not making the leather seats standard but an option on a 90k car is rather ridiculous to me.

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Not to mention they were originally stated to be part of the S before it even launched. Very odd they didn't include it (we love the charging options in the X)