Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lack of Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several misses here, for the first, they haven't sold 90000, more about 75000. And I have heard from a very good source that tesla count one supercharger station per 150 car sold to come over all cost. If you take 75000/150=500 Supercharger. Right now they have 447 superchargerstations open and 23 that is known to be under construction according to supercharge.info. That's 470, just 30 under what they should have built. And all under construction isn't lifted on supercharger.info.
And another miss is there is no $2000 for supercharging per car. I don't know why people insist on repeating that figure, which comes from what Tesla charged for 60's for the supercharging hardware and software IN THE CAR. It has nothing to do with the capital or operating costs of the supercharger network. Superchargers are a form of marketing and Tesla will spend as much or as little on this form of marketing based on its effectiveness compared to other forms of marketing.

And another miss is there is no $2000 for supercharging per car. I don't know why people insist on repeating that figure, which comes from what Tesla charged for 60's for the supercharging hardware and software IN THE CAR. It has nothing to do with the capital or operating costs of the supercharger network. Superchargers are a form of marketing and Tesla will spend as much or as little on this form of marketing based on its effectiveness compared to other forms of marketing.
If you have a 60, you could buy supercharger capability afterward and it's just a software update so it's now different hardware in a 60 with or without supercharger capability.

If you have a 60, you could buy supercharger capability afterward and it's just a software update so it's now different hardware in a 60 with or without supercharger capability.
When supercharging was announced the $2000 option for 60s was described as $1000 for the hardware and $1000 for the software. It was much later that Tesla said all the 60's were shipped with supercharger hardware, so it could be enabled later (for $2500) if the owner changed his mind and to preserve resale value, so a future owner could activate it. It was probably easier for Model S production to build supercharging capability into every car.

This is clarification is irrelevant, though, as the $2000 was for the car features and not related to the cost of the network.

When Leaf hit the market in 2011 & 12, Nissan charged $1750 as an additional option for the low powered Chademo adapter at a time when there were almost no chargers at all. Even today there are only handful in my area and I have used it exactly zero times.

It took a very long time for Nissan to realize the absence of chargers when the were hoping tax payers would build the network for them and threw their customers at the mercy of highly unreliable Blink, evGo, Chargepoint. Even now it is a poor half hearted attempt from Nissan to address the problem through their dealership network.

With all that very few Leaf owners blamed Nissan for paying close to $2000 basically for nothing.

Now that Chademo comes with almost every Leaf no one says they paid $2000 for a poor unreliable network.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread subject is interesting...

While one can see lack of supercharger and there always too for more....

the question I have is how will Tesla sustain the cost of these "free for life" super chargers? The fact that the vehicle price is high can only go far in paying for these?

the question I have is how will Tesla sustain the cost of these "free for life" super chargers? The fact that the vehicle price is high can only go far in paying for these?

The original statement was that there would be enough solar panels installed along with Superchargers to more than offset the electricity used. Right now they are focusing on quantity rather than quality, but eventually they will either retrofit or add locations with panels.

And I can see Tesla (eventually) going to businesses around the existing supercharger locations and negotiating some kind of a cost sharing, "or else we move". They would have a few years of data as to how many people stop, when, for how long, and that's going to be worth money...

This thread subject is interesting...

While one can see lack of supercharger and there always too for more....

My guess is that Tesla will stop offering "free for life" supercharging for new purchases at some point. Or it will only be free on the Model S and Model X, but not the Model ≡.

My guess is that Tesla will stop offering "free for life" supercharging for new purchases at some point. Or it will only be free on the Model S and Model X, but not the Model ≡.

I doubt that. Long distance travel is the greatest barrier to EV adoption. There may be a one-time fee, as there was for the 60, but the basic idea that long distance travel is be easy and inexpensive in any Tesla will be around for a long time.

I can see the Solar Panel help offset the solar cost long term, but the infrastructure setup and long term maintenance cost ain't that cheap.

I could see happening is a per use charge. If BLINK / CHARGEPOINT can do $1.50 / hr, I can see the supercharger offer a reduced rate for Tesla users. Or be part of an annual membership fee or something. I doubt the fact they have Solar Panel and still be able to maintain profit to continue long term maintenance of these places.

Different Topic: What is the etiquette when using these Super Chargers. They have no lines, it's first come first serve and at some point people leave there for hours potentially (esp when it is by a shopping center or theater). You could be waiting and someone can easily cut on the available slot.

Different Topic: What is the etiquette when using these Super Chargers. They have no lines, it's first come first serve and at some point people leave there for hours potentially (esp when it is by a shopping center or theater). You could be waiting and someone can easily cut on the available slot.
The etiquette is you don't leave it there for hours. Most people are on trips and want to get to their destination as soon as possible and they leave when they get sufficient charge, not more than 80% unless they really need more. If it's a local owner charging there because he is going shopping, rather that shopping to kill time while he is charging, the etiquette is to move the car to a regular space when it has charged sufficiently. The Tesla app notifies you when charging reaches 80% for this reason. If you're going to a movie you shouldn't be supercharging then at all! Anyway crowding is only an issue at a few locations on California. In Texas I've never had to wait at any of the 5 superchargers I've used.

If you're going to leave it, Leave Your Phone Number!!!!!! Of course, if they're leaving it, and blocking a charger, somebody needs to flatten a tire. I try to leave my phone number on my dash whenever I expect to be longer than the charge will take. So far, no one has called me.

I drove by the Rancho Cucamunga station and they got plenty, but read Barstow and other with less stations usually have this problem.

Never had to wait at any CA supercharger, ever. Usually there might be one or two other Teslas there, but they are gone before I'm done. Only ever saw one other car at Barstow. Maybe two at Vacaville. One at Corning. Three at Harris. As I remember. Gilroy they added more stations.

I bet Tesla will either add superchargers or stations to alleviate any serious waiting.

I have encountered waiting @ Barstow (while it only had four slots last July), Hawthorne (again last July before the latest expansion), Mount Shasta and Fremont (before its latest expansion) in CA.
Certainly TMC Connect 14 brought a lot pf people out and onto the road, so that shaded a couple of them, but not Barstow and Hawthorne.

I have also encountered waiting @ Las Vegas, NV, Bellmead (Waco, Elon's Texas visit), Lone Tree and Grant's Pass.

Mind you, I am NOT complaining.
I have done the alternate charging method at multiple RV Parks, and Supercharging wins hands down.

Regarding "free for life".
Probably until the first 5 EV million cars or so are on the road, then it may be re-assessed.
But by then, a lot of PV panels and battery back-ups will also be in place @ Supercharging stations, so the economics will be adjusted accordingly.

Last edited:
Some of you are missing the point. My original post was about the lack of superchargers in major cities. Louisville and Cincinnati are major cities. Sales alone would suffer if a person going on a day long business trip couldn't drive 300 miles round trip to a major city and not be able to supercharge your car. I was told when I bought the car that they would have chargers in these locations. Cincinnati is now up and running, so that is great. By the way, here is a good article! The cost is built in, good article below;

http://ecomento.com/2015/06/24/how-free-is-a-tesla-supercharger/#comments

Last edited: