Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lack of Tesla customer support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sky49

Oct 6, 2021
CA
I have always been impressed with Tesla power point presentations on their cars. Even had some owners say how happy they were. When the range of the Model X exceeded 350 miles, I decided to take the plunge. That was on December 17, 2020. I was then told a delivery date of February. Then the update happened. Heard nothing from Tesla as my February date arrived. Finally called in early March to try and find out what was happening. After 2 phone call run arounds, was finally told that I now had 3 options, first pay an additional $10K and get in line for the refreshed version, second, they would help me find a used Model X but no guarantees. The last option was to cancel my order, and after some heated words it was agreed to refund my deposit. After a lot of stepping on my ego, I finally agreed to pay the extra $10K. I was told that I would be moved to the front of the delivery line due to my early order date. Well, that was the last I heard from Tesla. On reviewing my website, I watched my delivery date go from August to November and now no date appears on my site. It has now been ten months waiting on a car. This frankly sounds obsurded. I of course sold my other car and my wife and I have been a one car famly for 10 months. This must be another way Tesla is claim to reduce emmissions. But my patience is wearing thin. Not so much from the technology of the car but that the customer empthy from Tesla has been totally non-existent. In todays environment, I cannot understand how a company can stay in business with this total lack of customer support. I can understand delays but to not hear one word from Tesla during this period is not what I would expect from company trying to change the face of car manufacturing. Just an short email, telling me that things had been delyed and they would keep me informed would have made a world of difference. I the case of the Model X delays, what are we talking about, less than 100K future owners that hate being kept in the dark and feed nothing. I have set a date, that will end this ride. Either deliver by that date or I plan on taking my $100K and finding something that is predictible. Does anyone out there have a similar experience or hopefully have had better communication than I have experienced?

Wow so sorry to hear your problem with Tesla. I think I would walk away and wait until Tesla can get their stuff straight. I’m furious with the lack of customer service at Tesla, I’ve been a Lexus, bmw, and yes Tesla owner.

I have always been impressed with Tesla power point presentations on their cars. Even had some owners say how happy they were. When the range of the Model X exceeded 350 miles, I decided to take the plunge. That was on December 17, 2020. I was then told a delivery date of February. Then the update happened. Heard nothing from Tesla as my February date arrived. Finally called in early March to try and find out what was happening. After 2 phone call run arounds, was finally told that I now had 3 options, first pay an additional $10K and get in line for the refreshed version, second, they would help me find a used Model X but no guarantees. The last option was to cancel my order, and after some heated words it was agreed to refund my deposit. After a lot of stepping on my ego, I finally agreed to pay the extra $10K. I was told that I would be moved to the front of the delivery line due to my early order date. Well, that was the last I heard from Tesla. On reviewing my website, I watched my delivery date go from August to November and now no date appears on my site. It has now been ten months waiting on a car. This frankly sounds obsurded. I of course sold my other car and my wife and I have been a one car famly for 10 months. This must be another way Tesla is claim to reduce emmissions. But my patience is wearing thin. Not so much from the technology of the car but that the customer empthy from Tesla has been totally non-existent. In todays environment, I cannot understand how a company can stay in business with this total lack of customer support. I can understand delays but to not hear one word from Tesla during this period is not what I would expect from company trying to change the face of car manufacturing. Just an short email, telling me that things had been delyed and they would keep me informed would have made a world of difference. I the case of the Model X delays, what are we talking about, less than 100K future owners that hate being kept in the dark and feed nothing. I have set a date, that will end this ride. Either deliver by that date or I plan on taking my $100K and finding something that is predictible. Does anyone out there have a similar experience or hopefully have had better communication than I have experienced?
Most car manufactures simply don't know when they will get all the parts to complete cars. The people making the parts are dependent on someone else, and that company has workers out because of Covid or is themselves dependent on someone else. They are being honest when they say they do know.

Here in Silicon Valley, we have a lot of companies that are in this same situation. And even when their manufacturing customers are offering to pay double or triple for key components, they cannot give them a solid date because of the long interdependency chains of many components, shippers, etc.

So if someone says, "we can't give you a date" or "we don't know" believe them.

Last edited:
If it makes you feel any better, their home energy customer support is equally poor. Long hold times for telephone support, long wait times (month+) for onsite support. The experience completely turned me off on the thought of a Tesla car (which I was considering very much indeed, with my oldest starting to drive and needing another vehicle in the family).

Stating this to Tesla's technical support representatives (e.g. your poor customer support in one of your businesses is going to cost you $60-70K in one of your other businesses) seems completely lost on them. They either don't care, or they aren't being incentivized to care.

I wish Amazon would start to build cars and energy products. (Why not? They've entered just about every other business segment.) Although the news paints a dim picture of the treatment of their warehouse employees, I've always found their customer service to be stellar.

Fruitcake

V
@Fruitcake Are you nutty?

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. 😁

You are right on the customer support on the energy side. I had questions on the solar roof that were unanswered, so I canceled my order.
Very nutty. And with lots of brandy as a preservative.

I am glad you cancelled your order. Better for you, and perhaps the real nuts at Tesla will start paying attention to the fact that their horrible customer support is costing them real money.

Fruitcake

Reactions: Ormond

It's well known that tesla does not care at all about their customers. whether it is cars or solar, they act like they simply have too many customers already and have the "if you don't like it go somewhere else". I now it first hand as I'm a current MX owner, former MS that I bought directly from tesla. Customer service was abysmal. They just don't care

Reactions: jeffro01