TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Lady Called Police on Dog in Car with Dog Mode Running!

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by jamesspice, Sep 10, 2019 at 4:59 PM.

1. derotam

derotam Member

I love how this is your absolute FIRST post after joining TMC! haha

Try not to get dragged too far down the rabbit hole. :)

2. phillcom3

phillcom3 Member

Cos they were asiatic. The child was asiatic.

3. daniel

daniel Active Member

It was a good idea!

4. Ocelot

Ocelot Member

easy fix...
    get the screen to flash/or run rainbow of colour over a few seconds every 10 seconds or so...to draw attention to it.

5. Haggy

Haggy Member

But then how would you know when it's cold enough for water to freeze or warm enough for it to boil? Oh, right. You'd look at it and see the obvious.

6. Haggy

Haggy Member

Yes, it kind of goes against the fundamental notion of "degree" when thermostats have a decimal point and can show Celsius temperatures to the nearest half degree. By definition, a degree is supposed to be a small fundamental unit. But with Celsius there are degrees of degrees.

7. tpoltron

tpoltron Member

Well maybe to someone from San Diego. Where I grew up in Winnipeg, Canada no one called it very cold until -30C = -22F!

• Like x 1
  8. Phlier

Phlier Bluebird

I remember one morning in Edmonton, I discovered that the Fahrenheit/Celsius scales crossed at -40C! You Canucks seriously know how to get cold up there.

9. darth_vad3r

darth_vad3r Well-Known Sith

New SOP for police responding to "dog left in hot car" calls...

"Is it a Tesla?"
    "Yes"
    "Does it say 'my owner is coming back soon' and the temperature in the car?"
    "Yes"
    <click>

• Love x 1
  10. darth_vad3r

So I guess you use mm and cm instead of inches 1/2 inches, 1/4 inches, 1/8 inches, 1/16 inches, 1/32 inches, .... then?

• Love x 1
  11. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

Machinists use mils, 1/1000 of an inch. Seriously though fractions are great. 3/16 of an inch is a lot easier to deal with than 0.1875 inches. The fundamental flaw with the metric system is that it's base-10. It's easy to divide a foot by 6, 4, 3, and 2 (2", 3", 4", 6"). Imagine how awful metric time would be. 60 minutes can be divided by 2,4,5,6,10,12,15, and 30. Try doing that with a power of 10.

• Funny x 1
  12. darth_vad3r

:D Yes, fractions are great, in relation to numbers like 0.1875 inches.

Imagine trying to calculate the volume of water in gallons that could be held in a box that is 5-3/4" x 2' x 3 yards? ... and then how much does that much water weigh in lbs?

Metric? Easy. Multiply. Length x Width x Height ... Done. 1cm cubed is 1mL. 1mL of water weighs 1g. Easy peasy.

Imperial is useful in international trade with other countries that use Imperial, like .... Liberia, and Myanmar, and... that's it actually. Just those 2. Even Myanmar is changing to metric though :)

13. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

538.4 pounds! That's why we have computers: weight of (5 3/4" x 2' x 3 yards) of water in pounds - Wolfram|Alpha
    Yeah, Imperial units aren't better for everything.

14. Moabion

Moabion Member

I left my kids in the car and turned on dog mode. I didn't know what the screen would do. My 14 year old daughter had a really disgusted look on her face when I came out from the convenience store. "We are NOT pets!"

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Moderator note: A number of posts were moved away for being off-topic. I moved them to snippiness, not because they were (in fact, many were quite respectful considering the typical dialogue around that topic), but because I had no better place to move them.

Also - if you ever want attention from the moderation staff, please use the "Report" button at the bottom of a post. We don't see all posts, by a long shot. But we do see the reports. Only one report was made over this discussion despite the posts for moderator help. I won't see your plea, but I will see your report.. just a heads up!

• Like x 1
  16. Veronica

Veronica New Member

Isn't it true though that the air will stop running if the vehicle isn't moving ?
    I left my car running with the air on while my son went into the store and it cycled off and started to get hot in there so I had to drive around the parking lot just to cool it down again .

17. notrhj

notrhj Member

18. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

When you leave the car the AC will turn off unless you have it set to Keep On or Dog Mode. If it turns off you can turn it back on remotely using the mobile app, or by just getting in the car again. It has nothing to do with whether or not the car is moving.

19. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

California law allows a concerned bystander to damage the car for the good of a pet whether the concern is valid or not and the law exempts the Good Samaritan from paying any damages.

The article says "own risk" which is about the likelihood of non-White Good Samaritans who could be mistakenly shot dead.

20. derotam

derotam Member

The concern has to be "reasonable" and it has to be reasonably concluded that the animal is in imminent danger.