Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lady Called Police on Dog in Car with Dog Mode Running!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And it shouldn’t turn off if there is a passenger in the seat. At least on the S and X, this was changed a while back to use the seat occupancy sensor and keep the HVAC active for at least 30 minutes.
Yeah, we noticed that change a while back. Some older cars don't have seat occupancy sensors on all seats so they might still have to turn it back on manually.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
And it shouldn’t turn off if there is a passenger in the seat. At least on the S and X, this was changed a while back to use the seat occupancy sensor and keep the HVAC active for at least 30 minutes.

Yeah, we noticed that change a while back. Some older cars don't have seat occupancy sensors on all seats so they might still have to turn it back on manually.
Weird. My late 2014 definitely turns off the screens and HVAC when the driver gets out and closes the door, whether the front passenger seat is occupied or not, whether the passenger is seatbelted or not. I just tested. I'm on 2019.32.1.

I have front seat passenger occupancy sensors, since the "buckle your seatbelt" alert will go off if the front seat is occupied and the seatbelt is not buckled. There are no such alerts for rear seats (which my parent's 2018 added).

Weird. My late 2014 definitely turns off the screens and HVAC when the driver gets out and closes the door, whether the front passenger seat is occupied or not, whether the passenger is seatbelted or not. I just tested. I'm on 2019.32.1.
I’ll check out my March 2014 S later but my 12 year old son stays in it a lot when I’m in the grocery store and says he doesn’t have to tap the screen to keep it alive. There are two types of sensors - seatbelt sensor which checks for a connection in the belt connector, and seat weight sensor that checks for an actual occupant. If the seat weight sensor is on, it’ll prompt for the belt to be attached as you mention. So I’m not sure why your car wouldn’t know someone is in it...

Umm, what? On a road trip, I'm not leaving my dogs at home for weeks at a time and can't take them inside a restaurant when we need to eat. As far as destructiveness, my dogs wouldn't even chew on the dash if there were treats lined up across it. They're perfectly trained to just chill out while we're inside eating. Just because you wouldn't leave your dog in the car doesn't mean it's easier for everyone to.
We do take our dog with us on our annual trip across the country that takes 5 days driving 6k+ miles there and back. We stay in Red Roof Inns that are very pet-friendly and when we stop I walk the dog while my wife does her thing then I do mine. We eat fast food not requiring sitting inside when on the road plus I make sure at ever stop to give the dog water, food, and a walk which I happen to enjoy. When we take the occasional trip that we leave our dog, he stays with family to make sure his needs are met. Our current dog is well mannered and would probably never eat a dash as he won't even chew a shoe but that doesn't mean they all are. I see I have a few that must think from my comment that I must not like dogs but the opposite is true and that is why I always think of what will be best for him.

Oddly the videos stopped recording while the police were there.

Has anybody else had run in with the popo and dog mode?

The lady was taking pictures of the license plate. Should we be worried?

We showed the police what dog mode does... They were laughing and taking pictures too.

index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php

The dog mode is terrific but many people just don't notice it - this is particularly true if they're looking in either of the back windows, at which point the center screen is obscured. That is why I always put a couple of additional signs (same basic message) in other visible places: on top of the dash and/or on the retractable cargo cover. Glad your window wasn't broken!

California law allows a concerned bystander to damage the car for the good of a pet whether the concern is valid or not and the law exempts the Good Samaritan from paying any damages.

The article says "own risk" which is about the likelihood of non-White Good Samaritans who could be mistakenly shot dead.

Not covered by the Good Samaritan Law, isn’t medical

it’s CA penal code 597.7 and 43.100

Hope you called law enforcement
Hope this isn’t your first rodeo so we can show a pattern of Aberrant behaviors
Hope you’re legally blind so you can explain why it was reasonable to ignore
A 15 inch illuminated sign showing the Animals welfare was never in question.

As cited b) The immunity from civil liability for property damage to a motor vehicle that is established by subdivision (a) does not affect a person's civil liability or immunity from civil liability for rendering aid to an animal.

You might injure the dog with corneal lacerations and documented California (granola state) mental anguish. We will sue the banjos off you

There is no No criminal immunity, rescuers can still be prosecuted for property damage, trespass, or any other applicable crimes.

Always best to contact law enforcement before taking any action.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte and KenC
This week is Electric Week in Hawaii, and with the combination of Hawaii's heat and this event happening recently, my creative mind found a fun solution. Shirts for dogs that reads "Dog Mode"- so onlookers will not worry when they see the dog inside the vehicle or worse, call the police. I have made them available on my etsy shop- www.etsy.com/shop/shestesla Hope this can be one step closer for Tesla Owners to find a solution!

Tesla Dog Mode Anxiety Shirt

Note to mods from Danny: I have okayed this post.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 10.31.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 10.31.28 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
Last edited by a moderator:
sad evidence of the fact that the average American is too stupid to read, completely unmotivated by facts, and doesn't know Celsius from Fahrenheit from a hole in the ground ...
This issue of well intentioned people not knowing about dog mode isn’t an average thing. Average Americans don’t get mentioned because they either were minding their own business, or fully understood the situation and kept on going.
It only takes 0.01% of people doing something stupid to make the news.

Now on F/C yes the average American hasn’t had much if any exposure to Celsius. The average American can and would learn if the USA would switch but American politicians are stupid and like to promote the ideal of American Exceptionalism.

Reactions: Phlier