Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lady Called Police on Dog in Car with Dog Mode Running!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t understand why Tesla has a dog mode and not a pet mode. I haven’t had a dog for years (although I hope to have one soon), but for years I took my cat with me on my many overnight work trips. It would be nice to be able to leave any pet in the car with the notice on and not confuse passers by. (But officer, I didn’t see a dog and it didn’t say it was in “cat mode”.)

• Love
Reactions: Autumn and Pkmmte
Much easier to leave pets at home or take them out of the car. Our dog loves to go for a ride but I never leave him in the car for any reason. I've actually had a dog decide to chew my dash off one time in the winter/fall with the windows halfway down so the temp was perfect for him. There are multiple reasons not to leave pets in cars unattended for their own good as you can imagine that coming back to a destroyed dash was not a good outcome for "man's best friend". Before you think it, I didn't beat my dog but I sure felt like it and he knew it from my voice tone for a few days.

Umm, what? On a road trip, I'm not leaving my dogs at home for weeks at a time and can't take them inside a restaurant when we need to eat. As far as destructiveness, my dogs wouldn't even chew on the dash if there were treats lined up across it. They're perfectly trained to just chill out while we're inside eating. Just because you wouldn't leave your dog in the car doesn't mean it's easier for everyone to.

Spotted this once )

48551440981_539c81bec1_b.jpg

The problem is that in many places (certainly here in Texas) it is ILLEGAL to leave a dog in a vehicle unattended.

The law was written before "Dog Mode" made this practice safe.

So while it should be perfectly SAFE to leave your dog in the car (with Dog Mode enabled) - it's still not LEGAL...well, maybe it is in your state - maybe not.

Getting the law changed would be a good thing for Tesla owners - but I do see problems. How can people determine whether the dog is safe or not? Having the law say "If there is a prominent dashboard display that says that the dog is OK - then it's legal"...would be decidedly problematic. Most other cars don't have a giant display that's easy to see from outside the car. Having the law say "It's OK if the temperature inside the car is actively maintained between 60 and 85 degF (or whatever)" is also problematic because a police officer can't measure the temperature inside the car to see if you broke the law or not.

So - as with MANY other things relating to super-intelligent electric cars - we're waiting on the laws to catch up.

Meanwhile - (as it actually SAYS in the owner's manual) you're doing this at your own risk if you live somewhere where you're still breaking the law - even though you aren't actually endangering your dog.

The metric system is more logical but sometimes it is less precise. Fahrenheit has almost twice the precision of Celsius unless you go to decimal Celcius. Atmospheric pressure in inches of mercury is three times more precise than millibars.
At least be consistent in your stated accuracy regime. mbar in integers is vastly more accurate than inHg in integers. Fahrenheit in integers is somewhat more precise than Centigrade in integers.

The metric system is more logical but sometimes it is less precise. Fahrenheit has almost twice the precision of Celsius unless you go to decimal Celcius. Atmospheric pressure in inches of mercury is three times more precise than millibars.
You are absolutely free to use decimals, it's a really common thing to do
In this regard you usually go with step of 0.5°, for humans half degree it's ok
but that's beside the point, the point is: there is a standard and you need to follow it, if you are in america, follow your standard, if you are in the rest of the word you follow celsius, you can use another metric, but it's painfull and usually useless, so there is absolutely no point in "celsius is best" or not, since you use what you are used to
About "it's strange and pepole get pissed" when whe changed from our currency to eur many people were pissed, but then, in 5 years every one used the new currency no problem, in the mean time ( the first 2 years ) we used a double standard for prices so you have time to get used to, nothing too problematic, but it's a big change so i doubt America will change it, even if it's for it's own good ( like when someone crashes a good pile of cash beacuse someone don't understand that something worked in metric and something not )

I had this happen to me last month during the huge Dream Cruise car show event in Michigan.
Our car was parked, and the Tesla was one display’ for people to look at during the event.
Dog Mode was active, and our tiny Maltipoo dog was fast asleep on the floor in the front passenger side.

Police walked up and asked if this was my car.
Me: Yes, it is.
Police: Someone complained and told us your dog is in the car with windows up.
Me: Yes, she’s in the car asleep, but the air conditioner is on. If you look at the car’s screen, it clearly states as such.
(I start to get up to show them)
Police: That’s ok sir, we were just coming over to check.
Me: No worries. I understand. But I find it odd that a person literally had to be looking INSIDE my car to even see the dog sleeping inside. Surely they also saw the huge screen that indicates ‘Dog Mode is active’...
Police: Sorry about that. Have a good day, blah blah blah.

What is wrong with people these days?? I honestly don’t get the mindset that they are the xx police of whatever they feel their cause to be. Whatever happened to minding your own business, or at least having a minimum amount of common sense??

Reactions: erik_k
I don't know if it's been pointed out yet but this car appears to have tinted windows. If the windows are tinted enough it will be hard for people to see the screen of the car when casually walking by but they might see the dog with its faced pressed up against your black out 10% limo tint.

People don’t notice the display

Yep. First rule if you want people to notice something -- there must be a visual state change. The dog mode display should cycle between several messages, in different colors, with different backgrounds, with sharp transitions, no fades.

DOG MODE ON: / AC IS ON: / HUMAN RETURNING SOON:
72F

And in smaller letters:
For immediate assistance, tweet @elonmusk

:)

I don’t understand why Tesla has a dog mode and not a pet mode. I haven’t had a dog for years (although I hope to have one soon), but for years I took my cat with me on my many overnight work trips. It would be nice to be able to leave any pet in the car with the notice on and not confuse passers by. (But officer, I didn’t see a dog and it didn’t say it was in “cat mode”.)

Because the cat would try to commandeer the vehicle and drive it away