Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lady Called Police on Dog in Car with Dog Mode Running!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People simply don't know about things when they are not exposed to them. It is easier for the Tesla fan because our internet is showing us Tesla while some else is seeing news tailored to their interest. The recent poll by Ford that shows that 42% of respondents think EVs need fuel is a good indication how little people know about EVs. A feature like Dog Mode in a Tesla has to be very far down on the list of things people are aware of.

• Funny
Reactions: Reborn and drewpost
Because the cat would try to commandeer the vehicle and drive it away

Since this thread is already all over the place:

Also, regarding C/F, for me, I switched to C for everything. The problem with using F was that my life was in F, except for flying, which is in C. I constantly had to convert those values in my head, which was a pain. Finally decided to switch over the rest of my world and now just live in C. Took less than a month to change my mindset, but it’s so much easier to deal with now. It’s also a fun running joke with my friends and coworkers when I tell them what the weather is like outside...

Reactions: curry684 and doug
I am an animal lover and I find it hard to find fault with people worried about pets in Teslas. Dog mode is new to us, but it is not new to the police. There have been accessories for Police K9 units for decades that monitor the cabin temperature of K9 police cars that even decades ago paged the officer if the temp inside the car increased beyond a safe limit. I wish Elon would issue an ad campaign, at least to police departments educating them to dog mode so when people call in, they could ask the caller what kind of car it is, and if it is a Tesla, tell them to check the screen. It would save a lot of hassle.

It’s not just Tesla’s and Dog Mode. We have moved across many states many times and had to have our dogs with us on the cross-country road trip. Long story short for the well-intentioned, you don’t know the story of the vehicle, the owner, or the pet. Just because an animal is in a vehicle doesn’t make it an unsafe situation.

Sometimes you need to stay in a hotel that isn’t pet friendly or you need to sit in a restaurant or take your toddler to the bathroom and leave the car unattended. The vehicles I have owned always had a way to lock the car while it is on/running. With our Toyota 4Runner and Honda Accords this is accomplished by using the metal key in the driver door lock to lock the running car.

With a gas car it’s at least evident the car is running, but I’ve always left notes with my name and number. With our HYBRID Accords it’s the same big problem where the “well-intentioned” cannot understand that the car is on. So I leave notes on the window. I also sometimes left the front windows down an inch and the vents blowing up the window so people would feel cold air.
In my Ford Expedition you can’t use the physical key to lock the running vehicle but if it has the keypad numbers on the driver door you can lock it that way.

These laws are complete BS too. A locked and running/conditioned CAR is no different than my locked and running/conditioned HOUSE. My pets are safe, comfortable and provided for. There’s no legal justification for breaking into my functioning house and shouldn’t be any legal protection for breaking into my safe and conditioned car.

We used to own a motor home. Legally a motor home IS a house. So someone justifying a B&E into a motor home using “pet safety” would be breaking into my home.

Politicians and their feel good laws are just legal clutter.

In any case where animals will be left in a vehicle I think signage is required to protect yourself, your pets and your vehicle from the “well-intentioned”.

• Disagree
Reactions: Reborn and T-Mom
The risk is that someone may smash the window, then discover the 'Dog Mood' system. Law will probably hold that they did not see the computer and acted in good faith, and not liable for damage. But, when you post additional signs on the windows, then the law of 'stupidity', makes them liable for any damage. When I got my Tesla, I ordered the window signs that cling to the glass and can be removed and put in glove box. I have witnessed a couple of people pause and look in the car at the dog and pause to read the window sign, and move on.

So not only have I had the police called for my dogs in the Tesla (Lady Called Police on Dog in Car with Dog Mode Running!), I've also called the police for dogs in a car on a hot day.

After waiting by the car for over an hour (waiting for owners or police to show up) we decided to open the car windows in a "non-destructive" manner. This is the conversation when the police arrived. You can't make this s**t up...

Officer: What's the story?
Me: Dog locked in car for over an hour...90+ degrees...opened car to let in fresh air, give dog water, yada yada yada
[Young couple walks over]
Officer: Is this you car?
Couple: Yes
Officer: [Explains situation] OK. Resolved. I'm leaving.
Couple: Wait...aren't you going to arrest him for breaking into our car?
Officer:eek:_O
Couple: [Yelling at officer] We were only gone for 10 mins. The dog was fine. I work as a vet tech. The dog is not overheated. Why don't you take the dog's temperature rectally?
Officer: [Finally had enough] I'm not sticking anything up your dog's butt! You're lucky I didn't get here first because I would have broken the window.
Me: [To officer] If you need to cite me I understand.
Officer: No...just give me an ID.
Me: [I hand him my hospital medical staff ID from my car]:rolleyes:
Officer: [To me] Go ahead and take off.
Officer: [To couple as I'm walking away] I'm citing you for.....

My chemistry class was about 50 years ago but isn't Celsius based on thermodynamics? 1kCal of energy is needed to raise 1 liter of water 1 degree Celsius? something like that - it was a long time ago. I think they changed from Cals to Joules (1 Cal = 4.2 Joules) but that just screws things up again.

Reactions: Daniel in SD