Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lady Called Police on Dog in Car with Dog Mode Running!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually there was potential for harm. The police have serious work to do and shouldn’t be called because someone didn’t bother to read the sign.
The police to have serious work to do, and that is enforcing the law. They are able to triage things, and if a bank were being robbed two blocks from where the dog was reported to be in a car, the latter would be back-burnered while they dealt with the former.

Reactions: MightyHawk
Thanks for the good laugh this morning. Fun fact on this... if you use Dog Mode, the Sentry Alarm is disabled (last I checked).

I was using Dog Mode for fun, then I thought "what if someone breaks in and the music blares... at the dog!
I guess they thought of this, besides, there's a DOG in the car. Who would steal that car right?

No, they steal the dog !

• Funny
Reactions: SOULPEDL
0º is the ocean 1 mile away from me about to turn solid (in Fahrenheit).

Nope. That would be negative 2 C because of the salt in the ocean.

1' is the length of my foot. Entirely human.
1" is the width of my thumb. Entirely human.
2 yards is my height and also the width from tip of outer hand to tip of outer hand if I hold my arms out to my sides as far as I can.

You have very big feet. :)

And the rest of those are entirely arbitrary and are wildly different from one person to another.

I know it can get colder than 0F but I've never experienced it :p

I've experienced the temperature at negative 30 F, and wind-chill of negative 80. That was when I lived in North Dakota. Brutally cold winters whose benefit is that they keep the riff-raff away. Eventually, they chased me away. I guess your user name does not refer to South Dakota (which is what SD means to me). Maybe you're in San Diego?

I absolutely love this feature...we definitely need this model of Tesla in Bermuda!!!! From what I understand it notifies you via an app if the car's temperature rises.
My concern with people leaving their a/c running is that something can always happen and the car shutoff or the a/c stop working. The saving grace would be the notification. My only concern would be if the individual put their phone away - not monitoring it - or closed the app - or if their data plan ran out or the connection failed or was lost. If any of those things happened, I'm not sure if there is something that notifies you via an alarm on the app. I dont want people to have complete security...
I wonder if Tesla could put something in the windscreen and back window to indicate that dog mode was on and the temperature of the car...so that it displayed for the public to see. Even on the driver's side window.
A driver putting signs up is great...it should tell someone to check the console because anyone can display signs.
Note: it is common sense though to look and monitor the dog. If it isnt panting excessively and doesnt look in distress then it is comfortable.
To be honest, I'm not sure I would be comfortable leaving a dog I saw in this situation...it is fine now but I would be worried that something would happen and it would fail.
One issue that I believe is being worked on, is that you have to leave the a/c in auto mode (not set the fan to manual) in order for the car to stay cool.
Despite my concerns, I think this option is awesome and I'm sure Tesla will continue to make improvements.

I think I have a better idea: The sign you put in your window should read:

"This is a Mexican hoosepoctlta hound. Bred for the extreme heat of the Sonora desert, he cannot survive in temperatures colder than 100° and is happiest at 130°. He becomes uncomfortable when the mercury goes over 150°. For his safety and well-being, please do not let any air colder than 115° into this car. Several of Pancho Villa's lieutenants had hoospoctla hounds, who would happily run alongside their owners' horses for 12 hours under the full sun at 120° needing only half a liter of water a day."

Of course you actually turn on dog mode and keep the car at 72°.

If there are gawkers when you come back to the car you can tell them it's a joke and show them that it's actually nice and cool inside.

Nobody even has a comment on my idea? :(

works the same for kids in cars, I saw a girl asleep on the back seat of a car called the police gve the number didn't see police kept my eye on the car for 10 mins whilst peasants went in to a store. still no police r family im like I have reported it I haven't got all day and went. eventually I think I saw the Asian family stick there heads out of a car phone warehouse and then go back in . never did get to see if anything came of this but the last thing I want to do was smash windows with a kid in there too!

works the same for kids in cars, I saw a girl asleep on the back seat of a car called the police gve the number didn't see police kept my eye on the car for 10 mins whilst peasants went in to a store. still no police r family im like I have reported it I haven't got all day and went. eventually I think I saw the Asian family stick there heads out of a car phone warehouse and then go back in . never did get to see if anything came of this but the last thing I want to do was smash windows with a kid in there too!

Why the label “Asian” family?

***If any law is necessary it should be only to not intentionally endanger a pet, end of story.***

If we go by that logic, in our legal system. Then EVERY SINGLE criminal will SWEAR that they did NOT INTENTIONALLY mean to break the law. So does that mean, because they ALL will claim that, that the law says OK, YOUR FREE TO GO, SORRY FOR WASTING YOUR TIME? By your logic, it sure does. And besides, why can't people leave their four legged fur babie's at home in their 72 degree home. Instead of dragging them around on the OWNER'S errands. To which their locked up in a VEHICLE like they are on LOCK DOWN. Would you lock your baby up in your Vehicle? EXACTLY...