TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Laguna Beach, CA accident, title claims "autopilot" involved.

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Darren Donovan, May 29, 2018.

1. Darren Donovan

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  2. BobbyKings

BobbyKings Silver

3. Pale_Rider

Pale_Rider Member

And again an AP1 car...

• Like x 1
  4. Darren Donovan

So I assume the driver's insurance will pay to replace his car, AND the police cruiser's? Ouch! Wonder what the hike in his premium will be. And will he have 2 points docked against him by the DMV?

5. ArizonaP85

ArizonaP85 Member

For those who don't click on the link, the road widened from a single lane into two: a through (left) lane and a right turn only lane in which parking (presumably only at certain times) is allowed. AP centered itself on the new right lane and clipped the left rear of the police Explorer parked at the curb.

Two complete failure of the driver:

1. Engaging AP in that environment.
    2. Failing to look at the road ahead.

In the absence of driving-facing camera to track whether or not the driver is looking forward, to avoid future easily preventable collisions and ugly headlines, Tesla should consider geofencing AP to divided highways as it instructs drivers.

• Disagree x 4
    • Like x 1
  6. FURY

FURY Member

I pretty much NEVER travel Laguna Canyon Road-one of the most crash prone highways for years, as I recall.

Thank you very much

FURY

• Like x 1
  7. Economite

Economite Member

Yup... Assuming both cars are declared totaled (and the Tesla was sufficiently insured), the driver's insurance will be paying replacement cost on both cars.

His (or her) insurance rates will go up a lot, but not necessarily because the claim value is so high. With a lot of insurance carriers (including Progressive in CA) the impact on a driver's insurance rate is based on the number of at-fault accidents that have damage above a certain (low) threshold. So the impact on rates of an accident causing $2,000 in damage is the same as the impact of an accident causing $125,000 in damage.

And, yes, the collision will be charged against the driver on his/her DMV record, since this kind of accident will get reported to the DMV.

8. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

eventually Tesla is gonna be forced to take autopilot away from all of us because some people just dont look at the road when driving.

• Like x 3
  9. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

I think that's the shot that makes the poor lane markings most obvious. Follow that solid white line on the right until you hit a car. That's what the road makers want isn't it?

Why are there parking spaces inside the turn lane with what looks like not enough space to pass the parked cars without crossing the solid white line left of the turn lane?

[​IMG]

• Informative x 9
  10. Astraviel

Astraviel Member

That is a very strange road. There shouldn't be parking spaces there.

• Like x 5
  11. zjfk2

zjfk2 Member

The road design there is very special. I could totally see my car following the line and side swiping if I wasn’t paying attention

12. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Wow. Yet another nimrod who is incapable of following simple instructions. I have 80,000 miles in an AP1 car, most of it with AP engaged and despite AP’s quirks I’ve followed the common sense instructions to stay in control of the vehicle. And guess what? I’ve never wrecked.

I have zero sympathy for someone who refuses to keep both hands on the wheel and stay prepared to take control at any time.

In the current implementation, with the very clear user instructions, there’s simply no such thing as an accident that’s autopilot’s fault. Period.

• Like x 20
  13. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Active Member

Great job AEB! Oh right we dont like to talk about that.

• Disagree x 6
    • Funny x 5
    • Like x 1
  14. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

So, AEB didn’t activate? You’re sure of that? And, even if it did, perhaps you’re expecting that it would have prevented the collision, despite the documentation to the contrary?

It seems today’s world has completely lost the ability to assume personal responsibility.

• Like x 6
  15. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

#15 dhanson865, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    AEB only kicks in for frontal collisions where there is another object moving in front of the Tesla going the same way. This collision was a sideswipe. AEB would not trigger because it is designed not to trigger for anything outside of the obvious case.

For example from the Model 3 manual
    But the Police vehicle hit wasn't traveling in front. It was parked on the side of the road.

So collision in question was a Model S not a Model 3 will you see a difference if I pull from the other owners manual?

Hmm, traveling in front, not parked on the side of the road. I'm thinking the owners manuals all sing the same tune. Stopped vehicles don't get any consideration from AEB.

16. Barklikeadog

You are inspiring me to go back to the Autopilot page and watch the vehicle drive around hands free.

Honestly I have no clue how someone thinks it is safe to take their hands off the wheel.
    Where would they even get that idea?

• Funny x 1
  17. Barklikeadog

Automatic Emergency Braking

1. Designed to detect objects that the car may impact and applies the brakes accordingly
    Side Collision Warning

1. Warns the driver of potential collisions with obstacles alongside the car

Do I really need to dredge up the musk video of a car avoiding a front/side collision?

• Like x 2
  18. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

Wow, this road design is messed. Why are there cars parked on that right turn lane? This should be in the edge case catalog

• Like x 1
  19. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

#19 dhanson865, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    Do you have a video of AEB kicking in when confronted with a stopped vehicle (not TACC braking when following a car, but actual AEB followed by a collision)? You know AEB only reduces the speed of the collision it doesn't usually prevent one.

The brakes are released after Automatic Emergency Braking has reduced your driving speed by 25 mph and don't forget the key phrase from my prior quote. When a frontal collision is considered unavoidable. Not when the average customer would like it to kick in, just when it is considered unavoidable.

I'm sure the side collision warning kicked in but if the driver was inattentive and not holding the wheel what would they do in the half a second of beeping before the collision?

• Informative x 1
  20. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Tesla will soon be forced to limit autopilot activation to locations where it is intended.. Ie disallow activation on divided roads, when stop lights or signs are present, etc...
    Folks are using AP on inappropriate roads and then AP gets blamed.... At the very least, pay attention in this situation

• Like x 2