TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Lake Almanor CA

Discussion in 'California' started by jeffro01, Aug 2, 2018.

1. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Okay so we're taking a trip up to Lake Almanor CA and I'm trying to decide if it's feasible to take our Model S 90D... The closest supercharger is in Corning CA and a destination charger in Susanville but nothing at the lake. I'm really trying to figure out if it's feasible to use the Corning CA SC or if the elevation change coming back sucks too much energy? The designation charger in Susanville "could" be an option if we can find enough things to do there for several hours..

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

According to a better route planner u can make round trip at 100% barely but leaves no room to drive around one u get there

3. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Yeah I'm looking at segments closely. If I stop and do a 100% charge at Corning I can get to my destination with roughly 47% left. That's plenty to get over to destination charger in Susanville to recharge. The question remains whether I can stay in Susanville long enough to get the charge I need from the destination charger as I'll have to stop there a couple of times to add some more juice... It's the elevation changes that scare me and I've never been to that area before so I have no idea...

Jeff

4. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Doesn’t the golf course there have 14-50s I would think with golf carts there would be some plugs available

5. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Good question... I didn't see anything on plugshare. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into that... :)

Jeff

• Like x 1
  6. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

..also I checked RV Parky and there are some good RV park options 0D42E201-B22E-4C38-9612-5F1644696556.png

7. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Yeah I'm actually staying at one (second from the left) but it's 30A 120V only hookups so where we're at won't help for charging... LOL :)

Jeff

8. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Lol the furthest left and one at south have 50 amps ;)...btw this app was a tip from a fellow traveler back in the days of the supercharger drought and I find things not on PlugShare :rolleyes:

• Love x 1
  9. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Very much appreciate the help!!!

Thanks,
    Jeff

• Like x 1
  10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Hi Jeff, I recommend using the EVTO app, it’s very good for planning.

11. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Tesla doesn't make an adapter specifically for that, but you can cobble together adapters and charge at 16A at about 3 MPH on that.

12. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

Looks as if there may be a number of campgrounds there. That tens to mean a lot of 14-50s

• Like x 1
  13. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Then we can't plug in our RV and given how slow of a charge that is... It's a lose/lose... :) I'm going to call around to see where I can reasonably park and plug in for a few hours here and there... Seems like there is a way to make this work.

Jeff

14. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Yes ..You can pull off ! Download RV Parky app and they have filters for 50a connections there are a few out there

• Like x 1