Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lamenting 75D/100D pricing difference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an 85D and am likely going to trade up to a 100D at some point. The 3 long range caught my attention. At some point when the 3 D and performance versions are available, I may go that way. Range is important to me. One thing I don't like about the S is its size. I have to be exceptionally careful about turning into tight spots. Sharp turns into parking lots with cement medians is now a place I don't go. Surprisingly this is more common than I would have expected. My car is a daily driver and I expect/want to be able to go everywhere without hassle and enjoy all the aspects of the car. I agree that with a wider range of choice the 100D premium is unlikely to remain sustainable.

Compared to our P85, our S 100D's extra range is a huge benefit for road trips. On our most typical trip (under 200 miles one way), we completely eliminate the supercharging stop. And on our second most frequent road trip (under 300 miles one way), we only have to stop once (skipping the first stop).

For our Model 3, we'll probably go with the 310 mile battery pack. Even though the car will mostly be used for daily commutes, it will be good to have a second car with longer range, in case we need to take both cars on trips at the same time.

This is only true if you are on a route that has a Supercharging station. The Model S75 still has range issues going up to Yosemite and back on a single charge. There is also only a handful of places with a single charging station on a 40amp charger. With 300+ miles the range anxiety is all but eliminated. With the S75 I would think twice about driving up to Lake Tahoe to ski/snowboard without the fear of getting stuck.

I take my 60D up to Tahoe on a regular basis from San Diego and Vegas...no issues at all.

Reactions: gene and SG57
The model S 100D is clearly now the "S" or 7 series equivalent. If the prestige of the top of the line is not a motivator, it's hard for many to justify the price.
Actually, Elon compares the Model S to BMW's 5 and 6 series, not the 7 series. Presumably he's comparing the P100D to the BMW 6 and the rest of the S line to the BMW 5. The price difference between the 3 Series and the 5 Series is approximately $20,000. Currently, the price difference between a Model S and the Model 3 makes no sense. Model S offers nothing compelling that is worthy of double the price.

Reactions: WhiskySTL
I have an 85D and am likely going to trade up to a 100D at some point. The 3 long range caught my attention. At some point when the 3 D and performance versions are available, I may go that way. Range is important to me. One thing I don't like about the S is its size. I have to be exceptionally careful about turning into tight spots. Sharp turns into parking lots with cement medians is now a place I don't go. Surprisingly this is more common than I would have expected. My car is a daily driver and I expect/want to be able to go everywhere without hassle and enjoy all the aspects of the car. I agree that with a wider range of choice the 100D premium is unlikely to remain sustainable.

This is the same for me. We have SUV for family road trips. Currently the S is my commuter vehicle. I would actually prefer something smaller for all the parking ramps I have to negotiate and to take up less space in my garage. I just don't really have a need for a vehicle of this size to get me back and forth to work. That said, the 3 series and C-class are too small, so I'm hopeful the model 3 interior is more spacious than those.

Tesla needs to "normalize" the prices on the 100kw. It used to be $10K upgrade from the lower tier say 60kw pack to the 85kw pack ($69K vs $79K)

60kw = $69K
75kw = $69k

85kw = $79K
90kw = $79,000 + $3,000 = $82,000
100kw = $79,000 + 3,000 + $10,000 = $92,000

The base price has stayed the same from 60kw to the new 75kw - $69,000 essentially getting 15kw more at the same price point from 2012.

The 100kw should be refactored down by $13,000 to normalize prices between packs. With some of the newer VINs getting 85kw packs in 75kw cars, it makes the 100kw pack less appealing given the premium for a slightly larger pack.

This is the same for me. We have SUV for family road trips. Currently the S is my commuter vehicle. I would actually prefer something smaller for all the parking ramps I have to negotiate and to take up less space in my garage. I just don't really have a need for a vehicle of this size to get me back and forth to work. That said, the 3 series and C-class are too small, so I'm hopeful the model 3 interior is more spacious than those.

Funny, we too have an SUV as our other vehicle. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Currently, the Model S has a $23,000 pricing difference for nothing but an extra 25kWh of battery capacity (+high-amperage charger). Whereas the Model 3 has a $9,000 difference for an estimated increase of 20kWh. Previously, the Model S capacity pricing difference was increased when they added several features to the 100D not standard on the lower models. However, all those extras have now become standard. Yet the pricing difference remains $23,000. I know there is nothing we can do about it other than just not buy, and Tesla can charge whatever they want. I am just lamenting, because I really want the 100D, but have a very difficult time justifying that much more.
I recommend you wait.. be patient. Whether it will be on the used car market or new prices on the model S are going to go down.

I lamented the $18k price difference between 60D and a 90D at the time of my Model S purchase. I wanted the performance, I could care less about the range as 220 miles is plenty 99% of the time. I opted out of the 90D, I simply couldn't justify 25% increase in price for 25% faster 0-60. Unbeknownst to me had I waited 1 year they upgraded the 75Ds to have the same performance as the then 90D, so in a way I don't feel bad as I dodged that hit.

I've just accepted every year a new generation or tweak is going to come out that makes me wish I waited longer or had shelled out more at the time of purchase. I'm still plenty happy, but the salt is real though. I'd upgrade to a refreshed front-end <4.0 sec car any day if given the chance.

I lamented the $18k price difference between 60D and a 90D at the time of my Model S purchase. I wanted the performance, I could care less about the range as 220 miles is plenty 99% of the time. I opted out of the 90D, I simply couldn't justify 25% increase in price for 25% faster 0-60. Unbeknownst to me had I waited 1 year they upgraded the 75Ds to have the same performance as the then 90D, so in a way I don't feel bad as I dodged that hit.

I've just accepted every year a new generation or tweak is going to come out that makes me wish I waited longer or had shelled out more at the time of purchase. I'm still plenty happy, but the salt is real though. I'd upgrade to a refreshed front-end <4.0 sec car any day if given the chance.
I was in the same boat with my 90D also. I wonder if the 60-75+ acceleration is similar to the 90Ds of old or they are still a bit stagnant.

Reactions: SG57
I was in the same boat with my 90D also. I wonder if the 60-75+ acceleration is similar to the 90Ds of old or they are still a bit stagnant.

I have a pre facelift 90D end of March 2016 (missed the facelift by weeks ) and I believe the 0-60 is 4.3 on mine (or 4.4 0-100kph).
The new 75D acceleration is now 4.4 0-100kph so identical. I guess it was all the motor and not battery size in this case. Other than range the new 75D is a good deal price wise compared to the 90D of last year.

However given the 100D's reduced price recently, its around 15k apart from my vehicle and I don't have AP2.0 or the facelift.