Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Laminated glass windshield not required

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just now watched a youtube.com video of a model S windshield blowout, where an object striking the windshield caused glass fragments to enter the inside of the car. It's unlikely the windshield is laminated.

The MX is likely using some other form of safety glass. I assume Tesla feels it's still safe from road debris.

Just now watched a youtube.com video of a model S windshield blowout, where an object striking the windshield caused glass fragments to enter the inside of the car. It's unlikely the windshield is laminated.

The MX is likely using some other form of safety glass. I assume Tesla feels it's still safe from road debris.

The front windshield, pano roof, and rear hatch glass are all marked as "LamiSafe" glass, for laminated safety glass.

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
Great news, thanks for the clarification.
Waiting patiently for MX 5 seater.
Funny how I tired waiting for my M3 reservation and ordered an MX. If the M3 2nd reveal still looks sweet next year, then the M3 reservation stays in place.
If you get an X you are going to replace with a Model Ξ or get it in addition? From my experience once you drive an X nothing else compares.

All windshields must be laminated safety glass, per FMVSS.

Laminated glass is stronger than other forms of glass and will hold together longer under heavy impacts, but can still result in glass "dust" inside the vehicle on hard impacts.

The reason for this is the lamination layer is flexible, while the glass bonded to it is not. When you have a hard hit, the whole section will flex. Most of the glass will stay bonded to the lamination, but a little bit farthest from the lamination layer that flexes the most can shatter and separate.

Long story short, this is normal under particularly hard hits.

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear