Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Landlord letting me charge SR+ but wants to know cost.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my landlord has agreed to allow us to charge or Tesla Model 3 SR+ in our apartments garage but he wants to know roughly what it will cost per month so he can charge us for it. I'd love some help figuring out a good amount to quote him.

Here is some info:
  • We drive about 22km (~15 miles) everyday to work.
  • The cost of hydro where I live is $0.208/kwh
  • Being in a multicar garage i'd likely be running sentry 10hr a day (add another ~10miles?)
  • We will be charging off 110v to start but he is interested in installing a level 2
Based on this data I figured it would cost $35-40/month to charge our car. Does this sound reasonable? What do you think would be a fair price for him to charge ontop of this cost?

Thanks!

If he's not looking to make a profit, $40. If he is, you gotta talk to him about it. If the only inconvenience to him is unplugging your car occasionally when he wants to use the outlet AND your car is charging(presumably not during working hours, so this will never happen), I might offer $50 a month or something.

If there's wifi and he gets a Gen3 charger, he might be able to get you to pay for the electricity through Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
So my landlord has agreed to allow us to charge or Tesla Model 3 SR+ in our apartments garage but he wants to know roughly what it will cost per month so he can charge us for it. I'd love some help figuring out a good amount to quote him.

Here is some info:
  • We drive about 22km (~15 miles) everyday to work.
  • The cost of hydro where I live is $0.208/kwh
  • Being in a multicar garage i'd likely be running sentry 10hr a day (add another ~10miles?)
  • We will be charging off 110v to start but he is interested in installing a level 2
Based on this data I figured it would cost $35-40/month to charge our car. Does this sound reasonable? What do you think would be a fair price for him to charge ontop of this cost?

Thanks!
Get teslafi and then it can meter your charging

Thanks for the tips everyone. i don't have the car yet but I pick up on Saturday so it's hard to say costs right now.

Get teslafi and then it can meter your charging
Ill look into teslafi thanks.

If he's not looking to make a profit, $40. If he is, you gotta talk to him about it. If the only inconvenience to him is unplugging your car occasionally when he wants to use the outlet AND your car is charging(presumably not during working hours, so this will never happen), I might offer $50 a month or something.

If there's wifi and he gets a Gen3 charger, he might be able to get you to pay for the electricity through Tesla.

I'll probably just tell him it will cost 35-40 a month on electric and let him decide if he wants to charge more. There is no wifi in the garage but he said he's been thinking of getting a few chargers since there is good incentives right now so maybe I can pish him to do that if he can manage billing through Tesla.

Reactions: anhquan10
On a 120v outlet the car will draw 12 amps. The hourly watt draw is volts * amps. So 120v *12amps = 1,440 watts each hour you charge. That is same as 1.4 kW per hour. If your cost per kilowatt is ~21 cents, then it would cost about 30 cents per hour of charge.

The Model 3 adds about 3 miles of range per hour on 120v. If you drive 30 miles a day, it will take at least 10 hours to charge back up. Of course cold weather and sentry mode will add a little bit more charge time.

Sounds like a good deal if you can get access to the plug for less than $50 a month.

Is that 22km number in each direction? If so and after accounting for Sentry, extra mileage for groceries/shopping/misc, and charging inefficiencies on 120v, you may be pulling an average of 13 KW per day. That would be about $2.75 per day or $80 per month. But this will vary depending on the type of driving - city, highway, etc.

The suggestion to try Teslafi for a month is a good one. It'll tell you how much power you're using.

Is that 22km number in each direction? If so and after accounting for Sentry, extra mileage for groceries/shopping/misc, and charging inefficiencies on 120v, you may be pulling an average of 13 KW per day. That would be about $2.75 per day or $80 per month. But this will vary depending on the type of driving - city, highway, etc.

The suggestion to try Teslafi for a month is a good one. It'll tell you how much power you're using.

The 22km is actually both ways. I will give teslafi a try, I suspect we will be using the car more than average in our first month but I think if we go on any weekend road trips we will just use a super charger.

Sounds like if he wants to flat rate charge us it will be hard to say exactly what it will cost based on usage but 50-80/month sounds about right.

Thanks again.

The 22km is actually both ways. I will give teslafi a try, I suspect we will be using the car more than average in our first month but I think if we go on any weekend road trips we will just use a super charger.

Sounds like if he wants to flat rate charge us it will be hard to say exactly what it will cost based on usage but 50-80/month sounds about right.

Thanks again.

Its better to present data to him vs guessing, so something like teslafi (or any other tracker) that can track energy added to the vehicle over the month would work. It sounds like the landlord is being open minded and flexible, so you definitely want to encourage that by reciprocating with actual data, etc if possible.

Its better to present data to him vs guessing, so something like teslafi (or any other tracker) that can track energy added to the vehicle over the month would work. It sounds like the landlord is being open minded and flexible, so you definitely want to encourage that by reciprocating with actual data, etc if possible.
Thanks, i think this is a strategy I'll go with. I'll see if he is open to letting me charge for a month and present the data on costs at the end.

The Model 3 adds about 3 miles of range per hour on 120v.
Not it doesn't. That is terribly wrong info that Tesla put out and has allowed to propagate, and I wish people would stop repeating it.

Back in 2012-2013 or so, when Tesla had charging speed tables for the big inefficient energy hog of a Model S, do you know what rate of charging they showed for a 5-15 outlet? Yes, it was 3 mph, and that was about right. The modern Model 3 is VASTLY more efficient than that and gets WAY better mph charging speed from that outlet. But do you know what number Tesla still shows in their charging tables for the Model 3 on that outlet? Yes, the number 3 somehow got copied over from that, and it is just insanely, laughably wrong! The Model 3 gets 5 mph at least from that kind of outlet.

On a 120v outlet the car will draw 12 amps. The hourly watt draw is volts * amps. So 120v *12amps = 1,440 watt hours each hour you charge. That is same as 1.4 kWh per hour. If your cost per kilowatt hour is ~21 cents, then it would cost about 30 cents per hour of charge.

The Model 3 adds about 3 miles of range per hour on 120v. If you drive 30 miles a day, it will take at least 10 hours to charge back up. Of course cold weather and sentry mode will add a little bit more charge time.

Sounds like a good deal if you can get access to the plug for less than $50 a month.

I fixed your units for you. :)

$40/month does indeed seem pretty accurate. Hopefully OP's landlord is amenable to future L2 charging. It's always nice to hear about landlords who are supportive of EV charging.

Reactions: mrau and jjrandorin
If landlord installed L2 charging they can just install one of the one that requires an account and people can just pay directly to third party. Otherwise he could get one that has an activity log and requires a user log in and just bill everyone each month.

For the current 120V you could plug a commercial quality device similar to something like a Kilowatt Power Meter that tracks energy use through the outlet.

Last edited:
Great answers already. One thing you should check: The 120V receptacle may be a 20 amp "5-20" receptacle. You can tell because one side of the slots will have a sideways "T" shape. If it is, then I'd suggest ordering a 5-20 adapter from the Tesla Store for your mobile connector. It will get you a few extra KPH of charging speed over the 5-15 adapter the car comes with. The extra power would also be helpful during the winter.

Reactions: Phlier
Wouldn't the garage be metered? So, let's ask what is he charging other garage users for the energy they use? In the world of fairness, if he's not charging anyone else for the energy in their garage unit, then you should receive a credit on paying him the $40.00. But that's just me. When we were in an apartment we had a garage unit as well. I ask if they would mind us plugging in the car that it was just like plugging in a vacuum cleaner. They agreed and never gave it another thought.

Wouldn't the garage be metered? So, let's ask what is he charging other garage users for the energy they use? In the world of fairness, if he's not charging anyone else for the energy in their garage unit, then you should receive a credit on paying him the $40.00. But that's just me. When we were in an apartment we had a garage unit as well. I ask if they would mind us plugging in the car that it was just like plugging in a vacuum cleaner. They agreed and never gave it another thought.

"in the world of fairness" plugging in an EV is nothing at all like plugging in a vaccum cleaner. The cleanest of people might use a vacuum cleaner in a garage for an hour a day (and that is HIGHLY unlikely) while an EV on a 120 is going to be sucking electricity for hours and hours.

Well yeah. But most people don't leave their vacuum on for 8+ hours at a time. Unless the apartment has AC or electric heat the car even at 120V is using a considerable amount of a persons total energy usage.

Any unmetered outlets in condo / apartment garages were never intended to be used for charging cars. Those outlets are likely intended for hooking up equipment to clean / repair the garage itself. Expect "maybe" a handful of places built maybe within the last 5 years or so.