Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Adjustment for Autopilot Needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I normally drive in the fast lane and when Autopilot is on my car seems to veer to the right side of the lane. While I don't know if an adjustment is needed, it would be nice if we could adjust the tracking of our cars. Has anyone else run into this issue where the car seems to run on the right side of the lane?

There are many threads on this already, Tesla seems to think this is safer, many drivers disagree.

The theory seems to be that in the left lane, when you have a yellow line on your left, it hedges right to avoid the situation of a head on collision on an undivided road, whereas in other lanes it centres itself. Unfortunately people are finding that it is dangerously crowding traffic in the lane to the right instead.

This wasn't an issue on 7.0 and was introduced in 7.1 (ok, not technically true, in 7.0 the car tended to bias away from solid dividers and therefore towards moving vehicles, and people begged Tesla to fix this, Tesla made it worse instead of better)

I actually like it this way, at least for two-lane roads. With 7.0, the car was centered, but that was often uncomfortably close to the opposing lane. I can see that might cause some discomfort the other way while in the left lane of a multilane road, although I don't drive in the left lane often. Seems like having some user-configurable options would be worthwhile.

Yes, mine stays to the right. I think we all do now with 7.1. Just tonight I was in AP on a two lane country road (I know, I shouldn't use it. But it works really well) and there was a disabled car just barely off to my right. I held the wheel and left AP on to see what it would do. It sailed right past the car (35-45 MPH?) without even a hint of caution. I might have had 18" of clearance. It actually concerned me because the car was very close as I passed. No issues at all. The side sensors glowed bright orange. But otherwise, the car was unfazed.

It will be a very long time, if ever, before I completely trust any car with AP. I am always fully engaged, which actually makes it more fun for me.