Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Assist Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

My wife and I just got a new Tesla Model 3, and some of you helped immensely on the decision making process. We have a blue car that is amazing so far! we are still figuring out everything about it, its almost overwhelming! One major thing we where testing yesterday that did not seem to work.

We turned on, the lane assist... the feature which basically warns you if you end up going over the line... solid or dashed, and it did not even care! No noise, no nothing. We are concerned this might be a real issue and that we should take it for servicing.

Any thoughts?

By the way, the cameras have calibrated, allowing self driving etc.. and we're also on the December update.

Thanks in advance!!

I did.

Maybe i misunderstood how it works. Is it ONLY for autopilot? does it warn you if you're driving with no autopilot engaged? i thought it would just warn you if you drove over the line.
It works at all times if it's enabled and the car detects you going over dotted/white line when you are not indicating. Your steering wheel will vibrate every time you drift off from your lane/initiate a no indicator lane change.

I did.

Maybe i misunderstood how it works. Is it ONLY for autopilot? does it warn you if you're driving with no autopilot engaged? i thought it would just warn you if you drove over the line.
You are correct. It should warn you if you drive over the line when not engaged in Autosteer. If it's not working for you then I'd call your local service center and have them check it out. What firmware are you on? Works fine for me on 2019.12.1.2

• Informative
Reactions: Hank101
Lane departure warning. Hold on a second, are you supposed to see the lanes via the "radar" or the view with your car and other cars around it?

Not sure how to best answer that question, but the lanes should be detected through the cameras and shown on the view with your car and other cars around it. I honestly have never even tried LDW on my car so I'm not sure when it's supposed to work heh

Lane departure warning. Hold on a second, are you supposed to see the lanes via the "radar" or the view with your car and other cars around it?
Yes - absolutely. If you're not seeing that then it's definitely a SC issue. Try a soft reboot first (hold down both dials on the steering wheel until the screen reboots). If that doesn't work then try a hard reboot (same as a soft but also put your foot on the brake pedal).

If you still don't see lane lines or other cars around you then schedule an appointment.

Hi all,

My wife and I just got a new Tesla Model 3, and some of you helped immensely on the decision making process. We have a blue car that is amazing so far! we are still figuring out everything about it, its almost overwhelming! One major thing we where testing yesterday that did not seem to work.

We turned on, the lane assist... the feature which basically warns you if you end up going over the line... solid or dashed, and it did not even care! No noise, no nothing. We are concerned this might be a real issue and that we should take it for servicing.

Any thoughts?

By the way, the cameras have calibrated, allowing self driving etc.. and we're also on the December update.

Thanks in advance!!

The December update is a little old, you should be getting a newer one. Make sure that you are connected to WiFi.

"Lane Assist warns you of undesired lane departures by vibrating the steering wheel slightly if a front wheel passes over a lane marking and the associated turn signal is off. This warning is active only when driving between approximately 36 and 90 mph"

The steering wheel vibration is VERY light. Most people think that it's a problem with their wheels. Did you look at the screen, was it showing anything. Did you read the Lane Assist section in the manual that describes where it works and doesn't, and what it does and doesn't do? (Since you indicated no noise, I assume that you haven't, because it doesn't)

Reading the manual can be very helpful, especially after driving for a few days and getting a rudimentary understanding of the features.