Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane change bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When driving on the motorway in the fast lane and passing a lorry which is in the slow lane the display shows the lorry jumping into the middle lane. If this happens when you are passing a lorry the car violently cancels any lane change because it thinks the lorry is changing lanes when it isn’t.

It is 100% reproducible and it’s never happened before.

A reboot does not fix.

Anybody else having the issue with 2020.36.11 or is it a problem with my car?

Reactions: Alwayshopeful
That's pretty mild compared to the phantom braking I often get when passing a lorry at night, even when we're both clearly in our own lanes and on steady courses.
On my drive back I’ve just had the worst phantom braking experience in the past four years. Clear roads with no sun (dusk), nothing in front of me and it slammed on the brakes 70 mph. It’s shocking that this is still happening after all of this time

When driving on the motorway in the fast lane and passing a lorry which is in the slow lane the display shows the lorry jumping into the middle lane. If this happens when you are passing a lorry the car violently cancels any lane change because it thinks the lorry is changing lanes when it isn’t.

I've see this many times over the last year, not a new bug for me, just don't ask car to lane change until you are well past the lorry in the slow lane.

It’s disheartening to learn that the video link is 6 months old and it’s still happening.

I think they basically abandoned progress in favour of the re-write... For better or for worse.

I find it also (in my opinion) miss-recommends going back to the left lane way too late. If I'm going 70, overtaking a lorry which is going 60, after the overtake there is no recomendation to go back, by the time it does get there there is another lorry and you know as soon as it changes it will want to overtake again. It would recomend to go to the left lane just before an onramp with joining cars too...

It would recomend to go to the left lane just before an onramp with joining cars too...

Yep. I often wondered if that is one of those LHD/RHD mismatches. It would make sense if it was on inside lane and recommending a change into more outer lanes. Its almost as it confuses the on ramp with the off ramp and taking the onramp when joining it then immediately wants to take you into more outer lane.

New Here’s a link to the lorry “jumping” into the middle lane.

I have seen that a lot of time, but I do wonder if it's a visualisation glitch rather than something AP would take into consideration. I've had lorries and other cars vissualy crash into me on that display and no emergency braking was ever applied. Maybe lane change is more skittish of course.

Autopilot most definitely takes it into consideration EVERY time.

Did a long drive yesterday and every time I moved from the fast last to the middle lane with a lorry anywhere in the vicinity of the slow lane the car violently jerks back into the fast lane half way through the transition. It’s nothing short of bloody dangerous.

Did a long drive yesterday and every time I moved from the fast last to the middle lane with a lorry anywhere in the vicinity of the slow lane the car violently jerks back into the fast lane half way through the transition. It’s nothing short of bloody dangerous.

same with me. if there's a lorry any where near I delay the lane change confirmation until I've passed it.