TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Lane change warning beep?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Quesder, Feb 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Quesder

Quesder Member

last Saturday, I was driving a Model S. I changed lane without checking the right mirror carefully enough, and a car passed by my side fast. No thing happen to the car, but my wife questioned sharply why the car didn't warn me with sound, like when we are doing parking? Can this be called the safest car ?

I don't know what to say to her. Was it because the software not installed, or I have to turn any option on? Or it simply doesn't have this? I think some other cars has this lane change warning.

2. Quesder

Quesder Member

Sorry, failed to mention that it has AP HW2.

3. whitex

whitex Active Member

You have AP2 hardware, but AP2 software is still in development and "will continue to be introduced as validation is completed, subject to regulatory approval" . The quote is from Tesla Design Studio AP2 description.

4. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

Sadly it doesn't beep on AP1 either. You get the visual hint on the main cluster, but that's it.

I'm sure many people have suggested that it beep if it detects another vehicle and you use the turn signal. It was one of the things I noted in my 30 day feedback.

5. Quesder

Quesder Member

That is too bad. My wife now gets full ammunition to oppose.
    Then, any other car on the market has this warning?

6. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Same here. I don't think I ever heard it beep. Sometimes when I see car go right by, I barely see it the sensor picks it up.

7. whitex

whitex Active Member

As a reference, AP1 will visually warn you, I even had it once autosteer away from a motorcyclist that got too close. Sadly, AP1's ability to actually detect a vehicle in your blind spot is hit or miss - way too unreliable to count on it.

8. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

I was always under the impression, from things I've read here and elsewhere, that if a car started drifting into my lane, that AP would veer away from it. I had an extremely rude awakening a week ago that scared the crap out of me.....

I was in the left lane cruising at 70MPH with Autopilot engaged. I was very very slowly passing cars in the right lane. The #$&^%! next to me in the right lane was fiddling with his cellphone and started drifting into my lane. I thought for sure he would notice and correct. When he didn't, I thought for sure AP would veer away. Well, it didn't and this guy got within a couple inches of hitting me before I yanked the wheel and hit the accelerator.

This is a prime example where I first had too much faith in the other driver, and secondly too much faith in the technology. On a side note, I'm more and more impressed at how solid this car is in evasive maneuvers. No body roll, no understeer, no rear wash-out, just solid like it's on rails.

9. TheGremlin

TheGremlin New Member

Sadly the warning is just in the cluster as opposed to a bright light on the mirrors like most other cars I've driven (Ford F150, Audi, Mercedes, etc...) The dash display is exactly where I'm not looking when I'm changing lanes so it's pretty useless..

• Like x 2
  10. Quesder

Quesder Member

Sounds like the most useful tech in Tesla is still the Ludicrous acceleration?

• Like x 1
  11. dmode

dmode Member

This forum will not sort your marital issues