Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Changes Not Working Consistently

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Impaler

'20 MY LR Black/Black, 20" induction w/FSD
Jul 5, 2020
USA
Hi all. I've now had my MY for nearly two weeks. So far, I'm loving all the FSD features I've tried so far. I have not yet enabled "Navigate on Auto Pilot" but have enabled Auto Steer. I've noticed a weird issue. Sometimes, when Auto Steer is enabled, on a highway, and I press the turn signal stalk all the way down/up, it will not initiate a lane change. I've verified in all cases there was nothing really holding it back from changing lanes...no cars around me. Other times it works great. Anyone else getting this inconsistency? And if so, anyone know if Tesla has acknowledged it?

Hi all. I've now had my MY for nearly two weeks. So far, I'm loving all the FSD features I've tried so far. I have not yet enabled "Navigate on Auto Pilot" but have enabled Auto Steer. I've noticed a weird issue. Sometimes, when Auto Steer is enabled, on a highway, and I press the turn signal stalk all the way down/up, it will not initiate a lane change. I've verified in all cases there was nothing really holding it back from changing lanes...no cars around me. Other times it works great. Anyone else getting this inconsistency? And if so, anyone know if Tesla has acknowledged it?

I haven't had any issues with it until this past week when I was on the way home from out of town. It happened to me a few times, sometimes it just did nothing, and once an alert popped on the screen saying lane change not available. The roads were a little wet , so I thought maybe the lane lines weren't being picked up properly by the cameras (although it was staying in my lane just fine, so that wouldn't make much sense). Maybe it has something to do with the most recent update?

• Helpful
Reactions: Impaler
In order for the lane change to work, the cameras have to recognize both lane lines of the lane you want to change into. It's possible that sometimes when you tried to make a lane change the other line was faded or wasn't picked up by the camera for some other reason. You can easily tell if the lane is visible to the car from the visualization on the screen.

• Informative
Reactions: Impaler
Autopilot won't work until the cameras calibrate, but calibration doesn't usually take 70 miles. Mine were calibrated within 20 miles of driving when I took delivery.

Same. I was calibrated before I got home from the Service Center with less than 60 miles on it. I now have 500+ miles on it and was out driving over the weekend and it worked much better. Thinking back, it was raining that day so maybe it wasn't deemed safe enough. There were no indicators that it wouldn't accept my input. Just was wondering if there was a hard fast rule on that feature of Autosteer.

Thanks for all the great inputs.