Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane departure avoidance issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today was first day driving with the new update (I’m on 16.2). I drive the same boring road to work everyday through mostly nothing but forest. 2x on the way there and 1x on the way back I somehow triggered the lane departure avoidance. And damn is it annoying. It seems if you are driving close to or on the white line for the shoulder Tesla doesn’t like that and jerks you, uncomfortably away from it back to the middle of the lane. It was so abrupt, loud, and unnerving I turned it off both times. I do see the benefit for it but I don’t want it on anymore after today and it annoys me I have to turn it off every time I get into the car now. Anyone else having issues with it?

My wife complained about the noise as a passenger. I admit I hug the right side of the road, and the Tesla doesn’t like that. It’s an old habit and driving in the center of the lane is harder.

So I, too, turned it off. I hope to use Autopilot more as I learn how it works. It does a fine job centering the car in the lane.

However, I am abit bothered by the 10% fatalities caused by lane departures from the NTSA, caused by distractions and health issues....then again NTSA says it’s more dangerous to be a pedestrian than a car driver, so my safety chances are improving...

Last edited:
Ditto your post almost exactly!

There was a huge hunk of twisted-up metal in the middle of my lane today and I had to seriously manhandle the wheel to go around it-- which put me slightly over the right lane line. That wheel is strong and it happened so fast at first, my brain didn't understand why I was having to fight the wheel.

It really thinks it knows better, and I didn't like it at all.

Then there was some warning on the screen but I couldn't even read it because it took me a minute to recover from the battle, then it went away.

I have not purposely turned anything "on". So whatever it is, it's on by default. I just updated the other day to 2019.16.2 and haven't even had time to read the updates. That's my bad- but just sharing how strong the pull is back to center.

Was this the normal lane departure assistance that triggered, or the emergency one? I haven't had an issue with it yet, thankfully.

I thought emergency lane departure was only supposed to trigger if it detected a potential collision?
I’m not sure which one it was. I know I got the audible alert and the message on screen and the car jerked fairly hard to the left to avoid, nothing. The wheel does lock up like when you’re driving with AP so it can overridden but it’s tough to do when it all happens so fast.

I also turned it off temporarily. My main issue is that I constantly get the "lane departure avoidance is limited - if issue persists, please contact Tesla" warning popping up intermittently. It's annoying. I am sure Tesla will fix the bugs in a future update.

Today was first day driving with the new update (I’m on 16.2). I drive the same boring road to work everyday through mostly nothing but forest. 2x on the way there and 1x on the way back I somehow triggered the lane departure avoidance. And damn is it annoying. It seems if you are driving close to or on the white line for the shoulder Tesla doesn’t like that and jerks you, uncomfortably away from it back to the middle of the lane. It was so abrupt, loud, and unnerving I turned it off both times. I do see the benefit for it but I don’t want it on anymore after today and it annoys me I have to turn it off every time I get into the car now. Anyone else having issues with it?
Yup. Most everybody hates this “Feature “. The fact that it cannot be permanently turned off is a bug, not a feature.

Was this the normal lane departure assistance that triggered, or the emergency one? I haven't had an issue with it yet, thankfully.

I thought emergency lane departure was only supposed to trigger if it detected a potential collision?
Emergency one. Normal lane departure assistance will only vibrate the steering wheel. Enough people have complained and hopefully Tesla will allow us to permanently disable it or totally remove it.

Sorry, I didn't express myself clearly.
I meant, if the car is not equipped with the AP, meaning I didn't buy it. However the hardware is in the car.
Would the car pull me back in my lane ?
Provided i forgot to turn it of.
On firmware 2019.16.2 it does for me. I don’t know if it does that with a car that doesn’t have AP.

Can't wait to try it ;-)

It's like our cars are becoming models of the human urge to legislate and fix everything. Of course it's not always a well thought out idea. Like the little old lady who's being helped across the street finally blurting out "but I wasn't going there!". Some will love it.

Can't you in fact disable it or set to vibrate only?

Reactions: SmartElectric
I am not saying it is a bad thing, I wish you wouldn't have to turn it off each time you go for a drive. It reminds me of software which ask you to confirm everything
Do you want to erase this file ?
Are you really sure ?
The file is not recoverable !
Confirm you understand the file is not recoverable.
etc....
Ok, I am a bit exagerating....:)

Reactions: hcdavis3
I guess I'm in the minority on this one. I haven't had any false positives at all but then again I don't hug the edge of the road except when I was trying to set it off :) It did actually pull me back into the lane the other day as I was thinking I had engaged AP and as I realized I hadn't it was already correcting and letting me know.

Departure from the road way is never a good thing as most drivers over react and over correct making it even worse. Having worked many accident scenes over the last 30 years I've seen many situations that had this been a feature of cars before now there may have been much better outcomes.