Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane departure avoidance limited

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
for the last 3-4 months I get periodic warnings saying the lane departure avoidance is limited. The warnings are more frequent first thing in the morning, but not exclusively and they normally clear in under 5 minutes.

I took my car into the dealer and they said no issue found, cleaned the car and said good to go because it wasn’t showing the error at the dealer.

It of course came on the next day.

Is this something everyone else is seeing and it’s a SW problem or is this a HW problem ?

I found a thread on the forum about something similar but didn’t seem to fully align to the symptoms.

Thanks!!

Do you have autofold on for the side mirrors? Every time I drive into my garage this happens b/c mirrors fold (despite some nonsense a tesla mechanic told me about "light changes" - my garage has a sky light and is no different in light btwn outside and inside during the day.

Thanks everyone. I’ll capture some footage on the cameras and see what I see (good suggestion).

I do have auto fold but it usually turns on after I’ve been driving for 10-15 seconds and stays on for a few minutes. Sometimes it just gives the error in the middle of the drive.

So I captured two instances where the message showed up. The only thing I noticed in these two cases is that the front of the car is facing the sun and the front camera gets pretty convoluted by the coloring of the sun and dimming everything else. I assume this is normal?

Anyone know which cameras are used for lane departure warnings ? Is the front camera even used ?

• Informative
Reactions: UTMB
Since the 24 update I get these notices - sometimes randomly while driving and it covers something I want to see beneath it and sometimes in my garage (turned off autofold mirrors which I thought caused it - didn't make a difference) which is REALLY irritating b/c it covers the option to open my trunk!!! So I have to use my phone app so that I can get groceries out of the trunk b/c, well, there is no mechanical release :mad:

BTW none of my occurrences happened when car was facing the sun

So I have to use my phone app so that I can get groceries out of the trunk b/c, well, there is no mechanical release :mad:
There is a button on the overhang above the license plate.
I get the Lane Departure Limited warning whenever I have my trailer hitch mounted bike rack on and sometimes when I'm in my driveway where I'm parked a few inches from a wall with the mirrors folded.
EDIT: just realized you probably meant frunk...

Reactions: aymelis
There is a button on the overhang above the license plate.
I get the Lane Departure Limited warning whenever I have my trailer hitch mounted bike rack on and sometimes when I'm in my driveway where I'm parked a few inches from a wall with the mirrors folded.
EDIT: just realized you probably meant frunk...
No I meant trunk and I want to open from the car b/c I don't have a free hand once I get out to press something to open the trunk rather than just lifting it up ;(

I had the same issue couple days ago, and I scheduled a service appointment, and about two days ago I got a text message from Tesla Service asking me to try to clean the wind shield behind the rear view mirror part where the three cameras located.
And it solved my issue :)

Only happens with my Model 3 early morning or late evening when the sun is low. And only at certain angles, and only in two locations. I think that glare interferes with one of the cameras and causes a false positive. I wouldn’t sweat it.

Last edited:
Since the 24 update I get these notices - sometimes randomly while driving and it covers something I want to see beneath it and sometimes in my garage (turned off autofold mirrors which I thought caused it - didn't make a difference) which is REALLY irritating b/c it covers the option to open my trunk!!! So I have to use my phone app so that I can get groceries out of the trunk b/c, well, there is no mechanical release :mad:

BTW none of my occurrences happened when car was facing the sun

I've gotten this warning a few times since getting the .24 update too. Haven't been able to correlate it with any specific driving behaviors yet. The message will come up for about 10 seconds then generally goes away.

I've gotten this warning a few times since getting the .24 update too. Haven't been able to correlate it with any specific driving behaviors yet. The message will come up for about 10 seconds then generally goes away.

When I'm driving it goes away in a bit but once I'm stopped and in P it stays (although sometimes goes away when seat slides back for easy entry/exit) totally covering the "open" for the trunk :(

Any type of moisture or dirt on any one sensor will cause that. Happens to me rather frequently when it is raining or snowing. I went to a bulk gardening and landscaping place and when I turned the car back on that warning returned. I just took a clean cloth (that I keep in the cars for this purpose) and wiped the dust off all the sensors and it went away.

Only happens with my Model 3 early morning or late evening when the sun is low. And only at certain angles, and only in two locations. I think that glare interferes with one of the cameras and causes a false positive. I wouldn’t sweat it.

Same happens to me. It only happens when I am facing the sun when the sun is at a low angle (i.e. early morning or close to sunset). Don't know if this is expected behavior.