Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Departure Avoidance vs. Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is my understanding of the difference between LDA and ELDA correct? From what I gather from the manual LDA will warn with audio and steering wheel vibrations, or slight assistance (depending on the setting) when the car drifts out of the lane, in any situation. Whereas ELDA will apply steering assistance to stay in the lane, but ONLY when it detects that there may be a collision with another vehicle if you drift out of your current lane. Sound right?

So basically if I turn LDA totally off but ELDA is still on I can freely drift out of the lane with no warnings, UNLESS there is another car in the way, in which case ELDA will kick in and steer me back into my lane.

I'm wondering also if LDA set to "Assist" is then the same thing as ELDA, only it will steer back into the lane regardless of there being another car in the way, whereas ELDA would only assist if a car was in the way. If this is the case then it seems LDA in Assist mode essentially makes ELDA a redundant setting.

I don't know for sure, but I turned it off after a few days. I only use my blinker when I'm in a situation where my lane change would actually affect another driver. But this thing was buzzing the wheel every time I changed lanes without signaling. Was super annoying.

I also turned off the steering feature when using autopilot. That was actually kind of dangerous. Without FSD you can't change lanes at all unless you yank the wheel hard enough to disengage autopilot which in turn causes a violent oversteer when it finally breaks loose. Scared the sh*t out of my wife one day when I was using it while she was in the car.

Reactions: jonquiljo
Dan, I don't experience the violent over-steer when disengaging AP via the steering wheel. It only requires a GENTLE movement.

It required a pretty significant movement to me. I only ever used it twice and both times disengagement was an issue. I don’t really need it, and the fact that you can’t easily change lanes with it engaged pretty much makes it useless, so I just turned it off. If you live in an area with stop and go traffic it might be useful. That’s not really an issue here. The bigger issue here is people going too slow and camping in the left lane, so the need to be able to quickly and easily pass is more important than the car steering itself.

I don't know for sure, but I turned it off after a few days. I only use my blinker when I'm in a situation where my lane change would actually affect another driver. But this thing was buzzing the wheel every time I changed lanes without signaling. Was super annoying.

I also turned off the steering feature when using autopilot. That was actually kind of dangerous. Without FSD you can't change lanes at all unless you yank the wheel hard enough to disengage autopilot which in turn causes a violent oversteer when it finally breaks loose. Scared the sh*t out of my wife one day when I was using it while she was in the car.
You can disengage autopilot by tapping gently up on the right stalk.
Or by pressing the brake. I think of you don't have EAP/FSD the turn signal also disengages it but I'm not sure on that one.

And Dan doesn’t know how to drive.

You always signal. It’s the whole point. The car is smarter than Dan. So what does Dan do? He turns off the feature that tells him he doesn’t know how to drive.

Ok. Nevada state law says you only have to signal if it’s going to affect the actions of another driver. We don’t really have traffic so signaling is optional.

And as my experiment showed signaling doesn’t disengage it anyway.

• Disagree
Reactions: SSonnentag
Ok. Nevada state law says you only have to signal if it’s going to affect the actions of another driver. We don’t really have traffic so signaling is optional.

maybe they should add a camera detection feature to see if the lane change should have been indicated :)

j/k but I'm using the lane change assist w/o AP as a test to see how good AP will be. It only works sporadically on solid whites and tells me to take control often. I'm hoping AP will be better.

It required a pretty significant movement to me. I only ever used it twice and both times disengagement was an issue. I don’t really need it, and the fact that you can’t easily change lanes with it engaged pretty much makes it useless, so I just turned it off. If you live in an area with stop and go traffic it might be useful. That’s not really an issue here. The bigger issue here is people going too slow and camping in the left lane, so the need to be able to quickly and easily pass is more important than the car steering itself.

Um, if you want to change lanes with AP engaged, just turn on the appropriate turn signal.

No. NV law requires you to signal whenever turning or changing. It would also be pretty odd for the law to be subjective - i.e., how are we always going to know when it will affect the actions of others, when you don’t always know their intent?

Reactions: mswlogo

What happens when you don't realize that it's going to affect another road user? Just always signal it's literals half an inch away. Just lazy not to do it. Sorry but this is a pet peeve of mine, The amount of times I've been on my motorcycle and some idiot neglected to signal and almost killed me and pulled the "Sorry I didn't see you". It's hubris to assume you know when it's going to affect another road user 100% of the time. Signaling isn't hard just do it I can't understand why this is a thing. I'd literally have to try to not signal at this point it's a simple action that become muscle memory pretty damn quickly if you just do it. Also you're completely misinformed on that NRS 484B.413 | fighting "Failure to Signal" tickets in Las Vegas, Nevada

What happens when you don't realize that it's going to affect another road user? Just always signal it's literals half an inch away. Just lazy not to do it. Sorry but this is a pet peeve of mine, The amount of times I've been on my motorcycle and some idiot neglected to signal and almost killed me and pulled the "Sorry I didn't see you". It's hubris to assume you know when it's going to affect another road user 100% of the time. Signaling isn't hard just do it I can't understand why this is a thing. I'd literally have to try to not signal at this point it's a simple action that become muscle memory pretty damn quickly if you just do it. Also you're completely misinformed on that NRS 484B.413 | fighting "Failure to Signal" tickets in Las Vegas, Nevada

When there is literally no one else around it's usually safe to assume it's not going to affect anyone else.

Plus, as I've said twice above, signaling does NOT disengage auto steer so it doesn’t fix the issue being discussed. If it did I might use it more.

I realize pushing up on the gear shift level disengages it, but that feels unnatural. Like I'm trying to throw it into reverse at high speed.

IDK, for my needs the auto steer just isn’t really necessary. It feels like a gimmick. Although now that I realize you can enable autopilot without auto steer, even when the option is enabled, I'll probably leave it on just so I can have it available if I really need it. Like if I get stuck in stop and go traffic due to an accident or something. (the only time I see it around here)