Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane departure disabled??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla stated that they have temporarily disabled certain vehicle functions while they complete development of the initial release of the Tesla Vision system. Emergency lane departure warning , assistance functionality would be restored via software update hopefully within a few weeks.

Tesla stated that they have temporarily disabled certain vehicle functions while they complete development of the initial release of the Tesla Vision system. Emergency lane departure warning , assistance functionality would be restored via software update hopefully within a few weeks.
Is this only for new Model Y or is this applicable for older Model Ys which have radar installed

I just cannot fathom why they would go about it this way. I literally chose the MY due to these safety features; don't care much for FSD since I actually like driving and being in control of a machine. This feels like a bait and switch and makes me feel unsafe in a brand new car. The lane departure warning is a pretty basic safety feature and so is collision awareness; taking these away while they retool their software is dangerous and can lead to liability issues, especially since those with radar did not agree to these changes. Love the car, extremely disappointed with the management.

I just cannot fathom why they would go about it this way. I literally chose the MY due to these safety features; don't care much for FSD since I actually like driving and being in control of a machine. This feels like a bait and switch and makes me feel unsafe in a brand new car. The lane departure warning is a pretty basic safety feature and so is collision awareness; taking these away while they retool their software is dangerous and can lead to liability issues, especially since those with radar did not agree to these changes. Love the car, extremely disappointed with the management.
I think they still have autonomous emergency braking (not using radar) which is shocking, since radar is better in foggy/rainy weather.

I just don't understand how they removed lane departure when the car has the vision system to detect lane changes already.

I have a radarless Y and it definitely isn't disabled for me. I've gotten warnings, and corrective action which puts me back in the lane. It's yelled at me a few times also when cutting across the edge line at an offramp.

Tesla drivers are beta testers. As someone who programs computers for a living, I would never put a beta release in production.
Lol. Then software would never be out. There is a reason why software companies have moved to a more iterative (agile) way of delivering software. The term beta personally is old school lol.

Every company I've worked for as an sol.arch. or an arch expect you to release an MVP and use your user base to get feedback.

Nothing beats a production roll out and getting telemetry and feedback from prod users to know what to fix or what feature to add later.

I have a radarless Y and it definitely isn't disabled for me. I've gotten warnings, and corrective action which puts me back in the lane. It's yelled at me a few times also when cutting across the edge line at an offramp.
Yup same. Especially under just cruise control. If I fail to use the turn signal it will not only yell at me but it will also want to get control from me lol.

Lol. Then software would never be out. There is a reason why software companies have moved to a more iterative (agile) way of delivering software. The term beta personally is old school lol.

Every company I've worked for as an sol.arch. or an arch expect you to release an MVP and use your user base to get feedback.

Nothing beats a production roll out and getting telemetry and feedback from prod users to know what to fix or what feature to add later.
That's fine for some things. I develop medical software, so I guess I have different experiences. Not all "oopses" are the same. Plus, our early release customers are opt-in. Our happier customers aren't forced to update beyond the rare critical patch.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I was just fixing to ask a question on this subject: Does a "lane keeping assistance" function or whatever Tesla may call it work when NOT in autopilot? On our existing vehicles it jiggles the steering wheel and beeps. Incidentally many times it does this when it shouldn't.

I was just fixing to ask a question on this subject: Does a "lane keeping assistance" function or whatever Tesla may call it work when NOT in autopilot? On our existing vehicles it jiggles the steering wheel and beeps. Incidentally many times it does this when it shouldn't.
I HAAATE this. Random steering wheel pull for no discernable reason. I'd like to keep the collision avoidance but totally disable the "lane keeping assistance." If I'm wandering out of my lane, I need to get off the road and take a nap, and NOT trust a beta-release system to save me!!!

Last edited:
Yes, the Tesla Model Y will vibrate the steering wheel when being driven even when not using Autopilot (with or without Autosteer) if the Model Y detects that the vehicle is drifting outside of the lane markings unless your turn signal is active.

Yes, the Tesla Model Y will vibrate the steering wheel when being driven even when not using Autopilot (with or without Autosteer) if the Model Y detects that the vehicle is drifting outside of the lane markings unless your turn signal is active.
I'm just a guy waiting for a MYLR but p. 114. of the owners manual indicates that it can be disabled.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe