Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Departure Feature erratic after camera upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2017 S had its cameras upgraded at the service center last week. Up until then, I have driven the car for years with no problems with the Lane Departure Feature. Since getting my car back, I am constantly fighting with the Lane Departure Assistance. It keeps thinking I am departing my lane when I am not. I have tried being extra careful, and I swear this thing out of nowhere starts jerking my wheel saying I am exiting the lane. It happens so often, that usually within a few minutes of driving on the highway, it shuts off and says the feature will be unavailable until my next drive. What's crazy is, when looking at the screen, the blue lines that light up don't make sense. For instance, it will show the blue lines on the right hand side of the car as if I am exiting the lane accidentally to the right, but it will also jerk me to the right, instead of the left. Basically doing the opposite of helping.

I re-calibrated my cameras, but that did not help.

Has anyone else experienced this after upgrading their cameras?

I never had any issues and found this feature very useful up until my cameras were upgraded. I know I can just turn off the feature and not have to worry about this, but that seems stupid. I want to have the feature in case it is actually needed, in case I am ACTUALLY departing a lane accidentally. But the way it is now, is useless at best, and dangerous at worst.

Mote: regular auto-pilot seems to work correctly. Keeps me in the center without problems. It's only when I don't have autopilot on that this comes up.

Try turning off the lane departure correction for awhile and see if there are other issues. Sounds like you will need service to correct this.
Touch Controls > Autopilot > Lane Departure Avoidance> OFF
Controls > Autopilot > Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance> OFF

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Try turning off the lane departure correction for awhile and see if there are other issues. Sounds like you will need service to correct this.
Touch Controls > Autopilot > Lane Departure Avoidance> OFF
Controls > Autopilot > Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance> OFF
This of course prevents the issue, but then I don't have the feature. Not really the solution I am looking for as mentioned.

Yes, I know I likely will need to take it back to service, but wanted to see if anyone else upgrading from 2.0 cameras to 3.0 cameras ran in to this problem.

I just thought it would be interesting to see if there are any other issues besides Lane Departure. It seems odd that the other systems would work with that being so inaccurate.
Yup, agreed. Everything else works flawlessly (from what i can tell). I mean auto-pilot definitely works without issue. I guess I wouldn't know if the other safety features work unless they are needed and then don't work. For now I turned it off and made an appointment with the service team. They are probably going to tell me i have to update my software. I am still on 2021.44.6 Was hoping to keep it awhile longer. My guess is I'll update and then the problem will persist.

Reactions: DerbyDave
If that's true, then that's just bad engineering. I mean, what's the point of a software calibration if you have to slightly tweak the physical aiming to get it right. If it was way off, then I could understand, but I doubt that the hardware allows it to be way off.
The pitch on one of the forward facing cameras are off, and they physically fixed it at the service center and my issue is resolved.

I wonder if this is similar to the issue my car is in the SC for. I continually get the LKA message and then it kills all functions, AP included. I can see on my work order there replacing the entire camera array in the window, side repeaters, AP ecu. The weird thing is, even if I disable like DD mentioned above, I STILL get the same messages regarding LKA and disabling. Oh and whenever I have the car wash, all the cameras grenade themselves also LOL. #TESLATHINGS

Has anyone experienced lane keeping on one side but not the other, without any error notifications? For some reason, my 17MS75 won’t allow me veer on my right side. However, it’ll allow me to freely move on the right side without any lane keeping.
From everything I can see, the cameras are functioning normal as FSD works fine and I see my right cameras when Sentry is on.
Any ideas? (FSD 11.3.6 2022.45.15)

For what its worth, my 2020 S sometimes alerts and tries to keep me in the lane, and sometimes not (either direction). I was amazed that the FSD steered my car to the right when a low flying bird flew in front of me from right to left. We missed the bird. It was an amazing and appropriate diversion that a human could never react that fast to. The bird was lucky in any event.

Reactions: TexasDuke
Has anyone experienced lane keeping on one side but not the other, without any error notifications? For some reason, my 17MS75 won’t allow me veer on my right side. However, it’ll allow me to freely move on the right side without any lane keeping.
From everything I can see, the cameras are functioning normal as FSD works fine and I see my right cameras when Sentry is on.
Any ideas? (FSD 11.3.6 2022.45.15)
Turns out that all I needed to do was a camera calibration. Thankfully that fixed it. No idea why, of course. But glad it was a simple fix for this issue.