Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Departure Safety Features Not Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other day I went to show my wife the various lane departure safety features and none of them worked. The steering wheel didn't vibrate and the car didn't warn me or assist us in staying in the lane. Today on the way to work, the steering wheel was back to vibrating when I hit the fog line (on purpose). On the way home, steering wheel wouldn't vibrate and car went wouldn't warn me about leaving the lane again.

Anyone else noticed this?

The LDA (Assist) works too well, that system see the lines, turns them blue and yanks me back into the lane, so well that it forces me to use the turn signal. And when I have it on warning the steering wheel vibrates. March 2019 SR+ HW 2.5 build. Recommend you submit a service call ticket and get it checked out.

What version Model 3 do you have?

Fred

I've been seeing the same thing. On the first build with LDA, i found that it did almost work too well. But in the 2 SW updates I've had since then (I'm on 20.4.2 now), the LDA seems very sporadic. If I try to intentionally activate it, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. But I'd say 75% of the time it doesn't activate. I've tried a reset too but it had no impact.

Reactions: Autovoid and Asgbma
The LDA (Assist) works too well, that system see the lines, turns them blue and yanks me back into the lane, so well that it forces me to use the turn signal. And when I have it on warning the steering wheel vibrates. March 2019 SR+ HW 2.5 build. Recommend you submit a service call ticket and get it checked out.

Fred
Damn it makes you actually use your turn signal?? Oh the humanity. To actually be forced to follow the law.

Fred

I know this might be a dumb question, but does just send an e-mail to [email protected] ?

This has happened to me as well. On 2019.16.2 the LDA and ELDA would work 80% of the time and sometimes when I didn't want it to like when trying to go around bicyclists or pedestrians. The next update after that (2019.20.2) I too had much less success with getting LDA or ELDA to activate during intentional testing. This is still the same on 2019.20.4.1 but I haven't updated to 4.2 yet. I assumed that they "tuned" the ELDA/LDA down to be less sensitive because of the complaints about the car taking over in unwanted scenarios. I don't plan to schedule a service appointment as I assume this is intentional.

Reactions: Asgbma
Honestly this doesn't sound like a service issue. The SC and Rangers don't have anything to do with the OTA software updates. Nothing for them to physically fix in this case.

Same thing applies to TelsaCAm/Sentry recordings dropping out from time to time. Totally software related and not camera hardware. The service ranger that worked on my car this afternoon and I discussed these exact issues. He said they were getting so many service request and spending time check perfectly good hardware. If a camera fails it shuts down the functions that rely on them until you get them repaired. He said, "if the car still functions in AP then the cameras are not the issue".

I took mine in today to get checked out. The tech went for a drive with me and noticed it only worked around 30% of the time. We went back and they checked out everything and said while he saw the issue during the test drive, the car was testing 100% and there was nothing he could do without it showing any faults. Said it's still in beta. Told me to keep sending bug reports when it doesn't work any hopefully someone in California takes notice.

I took mine in today to get checked out. The tech went for a drive with me and noticed it only worked around 30% of the time. We went back and they checked out everything and said while he saw the issue during the test drive, the car was testing 100% and there was nothing he could do without it showing any faults. Said it's still in beta. Told me to keep sending bug reports when it doesn't work any hopefully someone in California takes notice.
Same here.

I’ve tried to drift many times into another lane and it has never once engaged. If I change lanes without using my turn signal I do get the steering wheel vibration so I always use my turn signal now even if I’m the only person on the road because I don’t like feeling the vibration.

I’ve tried to drift many times into another lane and it has never once engaged. If I change lanes without using my turn signal I do get the steering wheel vibration so I always use my turn signal now even if I’m the only person on the road because I don’t like feeling the vibration.

That’s the way mine is too. My 2016 Honda Accord had a better “lane keep” System than my M3P. I have to remind myself that my far more tech advanced M3P doesn’t do this simple task. (And yes I have it turned on). I’ve tried all the settings and it seems to be the same.

The other day I went to show my wife the various lane departure safety features and none of them worked. The steering wheel didn't vibrate and the car didn't warn me or assist us in staying in the lane. Today on the way to work, the steering wheel was back to vibrating when I hit the fog line (on purpose). On the way home, steering wheel wouldn't vibrate and car went wouldn't warn me about leaving the lane again.

Anyone else noticed this?

I’ve had some inconsistencies also. I keep mine on the warning and have had days where it works 100% of the time and days where it works 70%-80% of the time. Bad news when people rely on it for safety. The time it doesn’t work can be the time you really need it. The unfortunate thing is like you said, you gotta prove to Tesla that something isn’t working right and if you go and say “it works moossttt of the time” there is nothing they can do but say, “it’ll get better buddy!”

Same as the above, I know its "beta", but it was working perfectly when it first came out, but steadily getting worse with each firmware update. How do I report the problem ? Its likely not a hardware issue, so not worth getting a tech dispatched,

Same as the above, I know its "beta", but it was working perfectly when it first came out, but steadily getting worse with each firmware update. How do I report the problem ? Its likely not a hardware issue, so not worth getting a tech dispatched,
Mine has that too. I’m not sure there’s a point to reporting this. Tesla’s SW QC team is perfectly ok releasing bugs. Quality isn’t that high up on the agenda. If it kinda works, release it. Seems to be ok with some people (judging by this forum).

Generally I’ve found the system works a lot better when you are not testing it. So best to not test it and then see how it does when you need it or when you screw up.

If you’re testing it, it’s pretty easy to add enough steering input recently enough such that it does not trigger. The feature is not intended to keep you in your lane in all situations. It’s most likely to trigger when you are not steering (and have not been steering) for a while.

It is also speed dependent. There is no point in “testing” it if you are not going at least 40mph.

It’s also quite subtle in some cases.

It definitely won’t prevent all unintended departures from the road, but it is intended to reduce the rate - which I’m pretty sure it does.

People get upset when the car is constantly intervening, which is what it would do if it were tuned more aggressively.

Reactions: talononeguy