Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Departure Warning Always On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the ability to turn the lane departure warning off or on comes under the heading of 'Auto Pilot', I figured that this function only happens while driving with the autopilot engaged. Not so in my car. If the warning is turned on and I am NOT in auto pilot, I still get the wheel vibration when changing lanes, usually when I am going 40+ mph. Is this normal for it to work this way? If I go to my settings under autopilot and turn off the warning, the vibration goes away.

Since the ability to turn the lane departure warning off or on comes under the heading of 'Auto Pilot', I figured that this function only happens while driving with the autopilot engaged. Not so in my car. If the warning is turned on and I am NOT in auto pilot, I still get the wheel vibration when changing lanes, usually when I am going 40+ mph. Is this normal for it to work this way? If I go to my settings under autopilot and turn off the warning, the vibration goes away.
If you signal changing lanes it won't vibrate or give you a warning :)

Yes, it is normal to get the vibration when you change lanes without signaling - even when driving without autopilot. You can turn it off or use a signal to avoid it.

Thanks for the replies. I really thought I had a balance or steering problem, but it was this warning system. Since the screen only shows this when you call up Autopilot, I was thinking this was only a function of the Autopilot system. I was wrong. I wonder what other features are available under non-related headings.

Thanks for the replies. I really thought I had a balance or steering problem, but it was this warning system. Since the screen only shows this when you call up Autopilot, I was thinking this was only a function of the Autopilot system. I was wrong. I wonder what other features are available under non-related headings.
Autopilot is more than just the driving assistant features. It includes all of the active safety features too. That’s why they mention safety and convenience features in the description. These safety features are also found on the support page for autopilot.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Hmmm. I have 2700 miles and started receiving this notice "Lane Departure Avoidance features unavailable. Features may be restored on next drive”. Is this normal? Something I am causing? Appreciate your guidance.

Attachments

• Lane Departure.jpg
    Lane Departure.jpg
    550.8 KB · Views: 783
Hmmm. I have 2700 miles and started receiving this notice "Lane Departure Avoidance features unavailable. Features may be restored on next drive”. Is this normal? Something I am causing? Appreciate your guidance.
I have the same issue recently (6800 miles since July). it seems to have started with the latest software upgrade. I don't know what causes it.

I have the same issue recently (6800 miles since July). it seems to have started with the latest software upgrade. I don't know what causes it.
I believe that this is normally caused by the driver overriding the lane departure assist. So for example, if you cross over lines and it tries to correct, but you steer to overpower it.

All Photos - 1 of 1.jpeg

So let me get this straight, Tesla's golden engineers decided that when a driver mistakenly/inadvertently crosses over the lanes in which that feature is meant to alert the driver, one is warned, and then the 'Lane Departure' feature is disabled all together?

This action is mind blowing, ridiculous and should be investigated by NTSB. Who automatically disables safety features when their whole function is to provide safety? I note that Tesla does not auto disable the seat belt warning when I forget to buckle, they do not disable the warning that a door is ajar, but they choose to auto disable lane departure (which would avoid a head on impact or off road accident) when one crosses over the lane. It is also random as this warning happens even on roads where additional lane painting exists in construction zones.

I could see asking the Tesla driver if they would like to temporarily disable 'Lane Departure' but to assume that this safety feature is not needed anymore during the current drive, is a huge mistake. And one has to stop the car, press the 'Park' button and then Press to Drive to re-activate???

Hi @KurtSanders ,

That particular message may also relate to blinded, obscured.
or dirty lenses on the cameras that sense the lane markings...
If the blinding resolves the Lane Departure Avoidance may return.

Good luck,

Shawn
I wish it was, but this issue happens exactly right after an unintentional slight lane departure and my immediate intervention to return to the center of the narrow road. Tesla almost always then issues the persistent warring that Lane Departure Avoidance has been disabled, which is frustrating since that is a safety feature that should never be automatically disabled.

I started receiving this message when I updated to 11.0. I washed my car thinking one of the camera lenses might be dirty, but the message persists. At any rate, I don’t have lane departure avoidance enabled, but I do have side collision avoidance. Is this feature also impacted by this alert?

Just be glad you aren't in the Northeast where it thinks every line and crack in the road from repaving or water line work is "the" line it shouldn't cross.
I swear they should have designed it to work in northern Maine and then SoCal would be no problem for it.

I just picked up my Model S LR. The vibration works well (when I drift) but the steering correction doesn't. It sees the lanes, but almost rarely corrects (or notifies me). (my older 2019 BMW does a much better job) - i suspect its a software setting because when autopilot turns on - it works brilliantly.
Anyone have any thoughts/comments on this?

2016 model X best car I've ever owned. 2022 model x worst car I've ever owned. So many bugs in the software, including this alarming and annoying Lane departure warning that is completely wrong but you cannot turn it off. I have both cars and the difference between them is sad. The features on the 2016 are so much more reliable. The 2022 has better potential autopilot, but all the software bugs are so annoying. You can't rely on the automated features.

I've seen this when the cameras got blinded by the sun (and started several false alarms). It was genuinely difficult driving conditions due to glare. I supposed that the system can be temporarily paused either if you argue with it too much, or it can't see well...

View attachment 741796

So let me get this straight, Tesla's golden engineers decided that when a driver mistakenly/inadvertently crosses over the lanes in which that feature is meant to alert the driver, one is warned, and then the 'Lane Departure' feature is disabled all together?

This action is mind blowing, ridiculous and should be investigated by NTSB. Who automatically disables safety features when their whole function is to provide safety? I note that Tesla does not auto disable the seat belt warning when I forget to buckle, they do not disable the warning that a door is ajar, but they choose to auto disable lane departure (which would avoid a head on impact or off road accident) when one crosses over the lane. It is also random as this warning happens even on roads where additional lane painting exists in construction zones.

I could see asking the Tesla driver if they would like to temporarily disable 'Lane Departure' but to assume that this safety feature is not needed anymore during the current drive, is a huge mistake. And one has to stop the car, press the 'Park' button and then Press to Drive to re-activate???
Sorry, I know this is an old thread, but I got this message today driving our brand new Model Y for the first time on Interstate 90 up to Snoqualmie Pass. This message got my blood boiling. Some idiot programmer thinks that because I drove too close to the line for 10 seconds, he is going to disable the safety system completely and it _may_ be re-enabled if I behave well on the next restart of the car. WTF?! I am so pissed. There are very good reasons to drive close to the line, like to avaoid the giant pot holes on I-90. Unbelievable childish programmers. I don't who to turn to to have this fixed. What a piece of work.

Reactions: KurtSanders