Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Departure Warning - Doesn't do anything

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the 8.1, and tried out the LDW by intentionally crossing over the lane markings (safely of course, with no one around!), but it didn't really do anything. I confirmed that LDW was enabled, and I confirmed that the lanes are showing up in my dash display. I tried both left and right lane encroachments, but there was no steering wheel vibration at all. What am I missing?

Also lane departure warning systems often do not activate if the system thinks you might possibly be doing an emergency maneuver. They are more designed for drifting that occurs with a tired or distracted driver. After activating, try slowly drifting over 35mph without the turn signal on.

Also lane departure warning systems often do not activate if the system thinks you might possibly be doing an emergency maneuver. They are more designed for drifting that occurs with a tired or distracted driver. After activating, try slowly drifting over 35mph without the turn signal on.
Makes sense. I did just that. Gradual drifting. Basically I gently switched lanes without the blinker on (making sure there is no one behind me to be annoyed by this)

When I do it, it feels almost like my car is vibrating over the raised paint of the lane line. Is this what it feels like to you guys? I can't even tell if the vibration is due to the road or the steering wheel.
Like hitting a rumble strip, but not as hard as a real one. I find it noticeable enough. But I'm almost ready to turn it off. Not sure if my driving is bad or getting a lot of false positives. :confused:

Reactions: vandacca
Like hitting a rumble strip, but not as hard as a real one. I find it noticeable enough. But I'm almost ready to turn it off. Not sure if my driving is bad or getting a lot of false positives. :confused:
It feels exactly like driving over rumble strips to me. I too had to turn it off because it kept going off all the time. It made me realize that I drive a lot more on the edge of the lane than I expected. Usually when I try to "straighten" a curve or pass a large vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: Paul Carter
I see the OP is a fairly new poster, so makes me wonder if the car is also new. Even if driving over 35 mph AND slowly drifting into the lane AND having the feature turned on, the car also needs to be driven enough for the sensors to calibrate and activate auto steer even though you don't have auto steer activated at the time. Thus, do you see the faint lane lines in the center display? If not, that indicates the car isn't yet seeing the lines.

My Model X with 22" wheels has this problem. There is close to no sensation for lane departure warning. I took it to the dealer and a service mechanic confirmed it is working, but it is so subtle as to be completely useless.
I don't know if this is peculiar to 22" wheels?
Evidently there had been complaints earlier that the vibration was too strong. Now, they might as well drop the feature: it is false advertising to describe this as "lane departure warning".
Maybe if enough people complain, they can fix this?