Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Departure Warning - How Much Does It Vibrate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

Been driving my P85D for a couple days and loving it but I honestly have not felt the steering wheel vibration when veering out of a lane.

Yes... the setting is turned on.

Yes... I let the car veer without turning the signal on trying to test it out.

I honestly do not feel anything nor does my wife.

My P85D was delivered with the first revision of 6.0 software that did not include the Insane Mode button and still had the steering response options as well. I had to update when I got home... maybe my BlackHole P85D didn't get the right steering wheel???

Compared to my older P85+ I do however seem to feel a lot more road vibrations on the steering wheel especially at highway speeds. It's almost kind of annoying on longer drives but it's definitely not an Alert Vibration that I have had on other vehicles.

It may just require a visit to service but curious on your thoughts.

Thanks

The lane departure warning in my P85D feels the same as the new S85 loaner I had last week.

Feels like driving over these:
figure1.jpg

Not like these:
RPM-Rumble-Strip.jpg

I drove a service loaner with lane departure warning last week. Its noticeable, but not overwhelming. Kind of like hitting a small rumble strip. I have driven other cars where the lane departure warning drives me nuts (thanks GM), but Tesla implemented it really well, and I like the feature.

JStepy:
If you are not feeling the lane departure rumble strip vibration, then I would suspect that your
software which is in the car is not supporting that feature for your car.

Do the software steering response options, when you change them effect the steering feel?

I notice you said you do not have INSANE mode.... that is a tip off that something is not up to date.

JStepy:
If you are not feeling the lane departure rumble strip vibration, then I would suspect that your
software which is in the car is not supporting that feature for your car.

Do the software steering response options, when you change them effect the steering feel?

I notice you said you do not have INSANE mode.... that is a tip off that something is not up to date.

No my software was updated after I took delivery when I got home as they did not want me sitting around for almost 2 hours while it did it's thing. Everything is up to date now but I just haven't been able to notice it.

I will take it to service after the new year. From what everyone is saying it should be quite easy to recognize.

Make sure you're going fast enough, it's either 30mph or 35mph... I forget which one. At lower speeds than that, it will not activate. My DS said it also may not activate on "really curvy roads".

It's a bit more subdued than hitting rumble strips, but the sounds & vibration of the 3 short pulses should be quite noticeable.

I wonder if some people have malfunctioning cars or if some people are just less attuned to the vibration. I find it much less strong than an actual rumble strip, but still pretty noticeable. If I only have one hand on the wheel or I'm not holding it tightly, I notice it much much less.

I'm not sure the vibration I'm experiencing in my P85D is indeed LDW, some mentioned 3 short bursts, but mine is just a continuation of vibration sound and from steering wheel that lasts for about 2 seconds.

Can anyone shed some more light?

I'm not sure the vibration I'm experiencing in my P85D is indeed LDW, some mentioned 3 short bursts, but mine is just a continuation of vibration sound and from steering wheel that lasts for about 2 seconds.

Can anyone shed some more light?

The more recent firmware versions dropped the 'three short' bursts and now it's just 'one long'. It's almost too subtle, IMHO. So I turned it off.