Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Departure Warning Sensitivity Options Poll

With respect to the current Lane Departure Warning System available in my Model S

• I use the system; I don't think there would be any benefit from a lower sensitivity option.

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • I use the system; I do think there would be a benefit from a lower sensitivity option.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I do not use the system; I might consider using it if there was a lower sensitivity option.

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • I do not use the system; I would not use it even if there was a lower sensitivity option.

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could some of the people selecting the first option in the poll, stating you don't think there would be a benefit to a lower sensitivity option please explain why you feel that way?

Thanks.

For me, it works correctly 99% of the time. When moving around in a lane, it hasnt gone off for me.

The purpose of this is safety. It shouldnt go off too often without cause. However, if a lower sensitivity led to a lack of warning when a line is crossed, that would seem to be a worse problem.

As far as I'm concerned, the system should have one setting: If a car's tire is about to cross a road marker/line, it should act like a rumble strip. If your driving style takes you over a line, it should rumble. If you're on a rural two-way road and you need to cross a line, it should rumble. In both of these situations, however safe you may be driving, you're not using the road as intended. Yes, we may all do it, but until sophisticated object detection is in place, it has to assume the worst to be most effective. Just as real-world rumble strips would always "activate" if you swerved to avoid an obstacle, the lane departure shouldn't be forgiving. After all, where does it stop? A foot over the line? Five feet over the line? This is all leading toward automation and needs to follow the rules of the road. Because you know that OTHER car coming toward me in a two lane road, momentarily distracted for some random reason? I sure wouldn't want them to have a "low sensitivity" setting.

Now, I wouldn't mind a setting for only activating over a certain speed (like 30-45mph). I've never had it go off (at highway speed) without genuinely moving over in a lane too much.

That said, I do find it activates erroneously for some asphalt repairs, which is annoying, but it's still a great safety feature. This is also a good discussion to have because if it's too aggressive, people will just turn it off. And that's worse than lower sensitivity.

I turned off the lane departure warning a while ago, but isn't the warning the same as blind spot warning? That is my recollection and if that is the case then it is another reason to turn it off since lane departure warnings that I have received were really of no benefit and were often false positives (streetcar tracks, zebra crossings, snow coverage) but the blind spot warning has helped a few times. IMHO keeping lane departure warning on is in danger of becoming a "Boy who cried wolf" situation.

Lane Departure Warning and Blind Spot Warning are not the same thing. Lane Departure Warning is supposed to alert you, via the rumble, if you are veering out of your lane, whether there is another car around or not. The Blind Spot Warning alerts you when there is a car in your blind spot, whether you are changing lanes or not, and the alert is more significant if you try to change lanes with a car in your blind spot.

I find it only alerts if I go over the line so, to me, it's working as intended.
I find it useful as it keeps me driving between the lines (the wife approves... she doesn't like it when I drift out of my lane).
I'm not sure what a "lower sensitivity" setting would do...

99% of the time mine only alerts me when I start driving over the line.
The other 1%, there are certain areas that have... a different kind of pavement near the edge of the road, and it alarms when I start driving on it.
So I'm happy with where it is, but if there was a lower sensitivity setting, I might try it out.

For me, it works correctly 99% of the time. When moving around in a lane, it hasnt gone off for me.
The purpose of this is safety. It shouldnt go off too often without cause. However, if a lower sensitivity led to a lack of warning when a line is crossed, that would seem to be a worse problem.

As far as I'm concerned, the system should have one setting: If a car's tire is about to cross a road marker/line, it should act like a rumble strip. If your driving style takes you over a line, it should rumble. If you're on a rural two-way road and you need to cross a line, it should rumble. In both of these situations, however safe you may be driving, you're not using the road as intended. Yes, we may all do it, but until sophisticated object detection is in place, it has to assume the worst to be most effective. Just as real-world rumble strips would always "activate" if you swerved to avoid an obstacle, the lane departure shouldn't be forgiving. After all, where does it stop? A foot over the line? Five feet over the line? This is all leading toward automation and needs to follow the rules of the road. Because you know that OTHER car coming toward me in a two lane road, momentarily distracted for some random reason? I sure wouldn't want them to have a "low sensitivity" setting.

Now, I wouldn't mind a setting for only activating over a certain speed (like 30-45mph). I've never had it go off (at highway speed) without genuinely moving over in a lane too much.

That said, I do find it activates erroneously for some asphalt repairs, which is annoying, but it's still a great safety feature. This is also a good discussion to have because if it's too aggressive, people will just turn it off. And that's worse than lower sensitivity.

It sounds like Lane Departure Warning is working very differently for the four of you than it is for me, and for some of the others that have posted in this thread.

I agree that if it only alerted when the wheels were crossing the line, that would be fine, and a lower sensitivity option would not be necessary. But that's not how the system works for me, and it sounds like that's not how it works for some of the other people who have posted in this thread.

When I am driving on a two lane highway, driving down the center of my side of the road, if I move a little too much to one side or the other, WITHOUT HAVING THE WHEELS TOUCH THE LINE, the system will alert. This happens frequently, and it is really annoying.

I will try to make a video, using my dashcam, to demonstrate this, but I don't know if the sound of the rumbling will be picked up by the dashcam's microphone or not.

When I am driving on a two lane highway, driving down the center of my side of the road, if I move a little too much to one side or the other, WITHOUT HAVING THE WHEELS TOUCH THE LINE, the system will alert. This happens frequently, and it is really annoying.
This is exactly why I have mine turned off. I like to use the full lane, depending on traffic, and the constant vibration got to be extremely annoying. If I wasn't dead center, it complained. Even rutted asphalt that tends to drag you to one edge of the lane or the other, was enough to pull me off of the perfect alignment and trigger it.

This is exactly why I have mine turned off. I like to use the full lane, depending on traffic, and the constant vibration got to be extremely annoying. If I wasn't dead center, it complained. Even rutted asphalt that tends to drag you to one edge of the lane or the other, was enough to pull me off of the perfect alignment and trigger it.

This isn't the case with my experiences. Have you had service check into it?
Mine allows me to move quite a bit from side to side within the lane. It only goes off when I cross a line.
I wonder if it is a regional thing?

Or perhaps it is a software version?

Mine allows me to move quite a bit from side to side within the lane. It only goes off when I cross a line.

I'm with you. I have plenty of room within the lines on a highway. When mine rumbles, I'm fully aware of the reason and I'm too far over. The region thing is interesting. Lanes are typically between 9 and 15 feet, with federal interstates requiring a minimum of 12 feet. Perhaps it's the roads we're on most often, the quality of the lane markings, or other road-specific factors? The system may "play nice" with certain widths more than others.

I'm with you. I have plenty of room within the lines on a highway. When mine rumbles, I'm fully aware of the reason and I'm too far over. The region thing is interesting. Lanes are typically between 9 and 15 feet, with federal interstates requiring a minimum of 12 feet. Perhaps it's the roads we're on most often, the quality of the lane markings, or other road-specific factors? The system may "play nice" with certain widths more than others.

That's a good point.

I'm in VA, the roads are super wide here (compared to NYC where I grew up). I'm taking the car up to NYC in a few weeks, I'll report back as to how the lane departure warning interacts there.

I think it is annoying and having tons of false positives is going to make you less likely to pay attention to true positives from other similar sensors like blind spot collision detection.

I think it is annoying and having tons of false positives is going to make you less likely to pay attention to true positives from other similar sensors like blind spot collision detection.

I agree with you that the false positives on the lane departure system are annoying. That's why I wrote to Tesla and started this thread seeking a lower sensitivity option.

But I have to disagree with you about any confusion from the false positives from this system causing people to ignore valid alerts from other safety systems. Since the only alert this system gives is the vibration in the steering wheel, and none of the other safety systems use that alert, I really don't think false positives in this system would cause someone to ignore the more drastic alerts of the other systems.

I turned it off. It false positives way too much. Much more so than LDW on my wife's Volvo XC60, which incidentally it also based on a Mobileye chipset.
Maybe your roads are different or the calibration of the system is different but I don't get any false positives. Every time I feel the warning, I'm over the line. In fact, when I first had it turned on, I thought that the state highway department had overnight converted all of the lines to "rumble strip" lines since every time I trespassed on a line, I would hear/feel the vibration.
It does do a good job of keeping me in my lane.
I'm also watching it carefully since I assume that this will be part of the upcoming "lane following" autopilot upgrade. It does a good job of warning me about the lane even on curves or areas where the paint has worn thin so I assume that the lane following feature will also do a good job of keeping the car in the lane.

Or perhaps it is a software version?
I may turn it on again and take closer note of how close I am when it triggers. In my area, the highways are fairly quiet and wandering close to a line isn't a dangerous thing. Crossing it, of course, would be! But my recollection is that I only had to be close to the line, not on it. In areas where rumble strips have been milled into the asphalt, I'm fairly sure I was feeling the Tesla rumble before feeling it from the tires themselves. But I will check again... as I think I received a software update after turning the function off. Maybe it's better now - worth checking anyway.

I will try to make a video, using my dashcam, to demonstrate this, but I don't know if the sound of the rumbling will be picked up by the dashcam's microphone or not.

I did make a video. You have to listen carefully, but you can definitely hear the alerts.There are thirteen of them in the approximately two and a half minute video. Obviously I was driving in a way intended to generate these alerts, to demonstrate the fact that the system is overly sensitive. Naturally I didn't drive this way my entire trip, so I edited some dashcam exports together into one video.

You can hear the alerts at approximately :18, :25, :31, :46, :55, 1:03, 1:20, 1:29, 1:43, 1:52, 1:57, 2:16, and 2:21.

My car is a P85D, and my current firmware version is 6.2.2.4.236.

Last edited by a moderator: