TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Lane Departure Warning

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by WillAustin, May 2, 2015.

1. WillAustin

WillAustin Member

I guess I haven't quite figured out how Lane Departure Warning is supposed to work yet. It almost seems to fire off randomly when I'm not drifting near the edges of my lane. Does that happen for anyone else?

2. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

It seems to regard going near the lane lines as suitable for a warning. I frequently decide I want to shade to one side or the other to avoid people who seem likely to wander out of their lane and it often buzzes when I'm merely near the line. I do find that it has the occasional false alarm, especially when random lines are painted on the road, like for a crosswalk or utility paint lines on the pavement. Sometimes it does seem to go off randomly, although when it happens over and over in the same spot I can usually figure out what it was thinking eventually. It can process strong ridges in the pavement or other textural changes as lines.

3. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

#3 araxara, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
    Although I don’t have the Lane Departure Warning in my Tesla, I do have the Mobileye system on which it’s based. According to Mobileye, they assume lanes are 10-12 feet wide. If one of the lines in a lane goes away, it will use the other line and make sure based on the 10-12ft lane width that you are still within the lines. This can cause a problem, I’ve noticed, when a road goes from single lane to two lanes. The lanes lines that it is following start to become wider and it locks onto one of them. If you stay within the wider lines, it will assume you are drifting from the side it locked onto.

4. WillAustin

WillAustin Member

It seems to happen when the road curves even though I'm not straying right or left. Thanks!

5. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Mine falses so much that I don't take it seriously. I put a report into Tesla about it. It either goes off for no reason or does not go off. I find it to be wholly unreliable and hope that they can improve upon it.

6. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

You know you can turn it off, right?