Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Departure Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to regard going near the lane lines as suitable for a warning. I frequently decide I want to shade to one side or the other to avoid people who seem likely to wander out of their lane and it often buzzes when I'm merely near the line. I do find that it has the occasional false alarm, especially when random lines are painted on the road, like for a crosswalk or utility paint lines on the pavement. Sometimes it does seem to go off randomly, although when it happens over and over in the same spot I can usually figure out what it was thinking eventually. It can process strong ridges in the pavement or other textural changes as lines.

Although I don’t have the Lane Departure Warning in my Tesla, I do have the Mobileye system on which it’s based. According to Mobileye, they assume lanes are 10-12 feet wide. If one of the lines in a lane goes away, it will use the other line and make sure based on the 10-12ft lane width that you are still within the lines. This can cause a problem, I’ve noticed, when a road goes from single lane to two lanes. The lanes lines that it is following start to become wider and it locks onto one of them. If you stay within the wider lines, it will assume you are drifting from the side it locked onto.

Last edited: