Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Drifting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my Model S for three months now and have tested out autopilot 2 quite a lot on New York highways. Obviously there is a lot of work to do before we get to true autopilot, but one thing I notice is that the lane integrity on 3+ lane highways is less than ideal. Even at low speeds, the AP often drifts to the edge of or even into the lane with traffic. It tends to err to the lane away from the shoulder or barrier and towards the lane with traffic, not good! At low speeds on straightaways, it should stay in center in all scenarios but does not. I am new to posting here so this may have already come up in other posts. I am not sure if others have this issue but I would be interested in what the general consensus is and if anyone has to override as I have had to. See attached image at 19 mph on a three lane highway, I was in left lane with cars (very close) to my right.

Attachments

• IMG_4298.JPG
    IMG_4298.JPG
    305.1 KB · Views: 63
Yes I overrode it and it cost me $231 in Oklahoma last summer.

First day of using the automatic lane change. It seemed to be going too far over into that lane, so I lifted the left stalk to cancel the auto lane change, and the car drove back into the right lane-- right past the police car with the flashing lights.

Some minutes later we saw him in our rear view mirror. After he made us sit about 30 minutes in our car, gave us a ticket for $231.

With AP1 it follows the car in front at really low speeds. So if that person gets to the edge it simply follows him.

At higher speeds it seems mostly centered EXCEPT in corners where it will hug the inside line. It like pretends it's some race car driver or something.

Lane placement is definitely on my list of annoyances with AP1. So I tend to follow AP2 threads to see if there is any improvement.

Mine works pretty well most of the time. Sometimes i swear it moves to the right when a car is in the right lane.

Lonely maybe. Lol

With AP always have your hands on the wheel and be prepared to take over.