Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane placement improvements are needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an AP-2 model S that I got last May, and have lived through the evolution of AP-2 from the era when it would immediately make everyone in the car nervous, to the current state of affairs (17.44 for me) where after some period of time it makes my wife nervous. Of course, full disclosure, she is nervous when I drive too.

I think some lane placement improvements, mimicking human drivers, would make a big difference in acceptance. I notice two big things:

1) On turns, human drivers move modestly towards the inside of the lane, and they move more the sharper the curve. AP-2 does not. The result is that even though the car is tracking the center of the lane, there is an impression that it might not continue to hold the curve properly. It feels in peril of drifting past the outside of the lane, and this does not inspire confidence. This is probably simple to address since it is so specific.

2) When there is a massive vehicle in the next lane, human drivers adjust lane position away from it. Once again, failing to do so creates tension in the people in the car. It may even go so far as to seem like the car is 'lusting' for the truck, even though it may be dead-center in the lane. This might be a little less simple to address.

There are undoubtedly other little things like this that would improve how it 'feels' to use AP. And there are probably secondary issues. For example, if the driving gets confident enough that people stop paying as much attention, safety might actually be worse (although I am not at all sure if this is true.)

Comments? Have you noticed other little behavioral tweaks that would improve the experience?

just last week I encountered this situation, needed to disengage since it looked like AP would side-sweep that house.

2116602877152.img.data.jpg 2120602776256.img.data.jpg 2120609536896.img.data.jpg

Turned out there was till space as the house moved more onto the right shoulder, but still.
2124602581248.img.data.jpg 2124609265440.img.data.jpg 2124611168000.img.data.jpg 2124612202560.img.data.jpg 2124618356704.img.data.jpg

Moving away from the centre line on corners would be helpful, as sometimes AP crosses into oncoming traffic unexpectedly and it would give the driver extra time to react.

We’ve needed this since AP1 AS debuted 10/15/2015.

What we’ve gotten so far is the nudge feature which was more noticeable with AP1 than AP2 to date.

Use cases include but by no means limited to:

1. Overtaking (as noted above) - shift left to avoid rock chips and for general safety.

2. Against oncoming traffic - shift right to avoid rock chips and for general safety.

Shifting position within a lane is Driver Ed 101. Two years later, no sign of it with AS in either AP1 or AP2.