Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane position with Auto Steer on - is it just me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVer Hopeful

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
Took a long trip over the weekend and got to use Auto Steer for most of it. However I noticed that it put me about 6, maybe 9 inches or so further to the right than I would normally drive (This is in the US btw), in fact I could feel the car move over when I activated Auto Steer

It appeared to put the driver in the middle of the lane, whereas I normally would put the middle of the vehicle in the middle of the lane

Maybe it's me, but I figured I'd see if anyone else thought the same.

You are referring to the old autopilot, which will be replaced by new code, currently being tested as FSD Beta. I guess that this will also change the non-FSD autopilot code, once it happens.

Therefore I would not worry too much about the position in the lane. Since the biggest danger comes from other cars, it may not be too bad to be a tad farther away from them.

On two-lane upcountry roads I often change from autosteer to TACC to control lane position manually. You could do that too, whenever the position is too far away from your desired one. I don't think there is any other workaround.

Some people always recommend recalibrating the cameras, but I don't believe that it helps.

Our problem on our 2021 Model Y "auto steer" is exactly the opposite. Both my wife and I feel it hugs the center line too much, especially on curves, even though the display says we're in the center of the lane. On a two lane road, it's uncomfortably close to oncoming traffic, so we tend to not use it then, just on four lane divided highways. I really wish Tesla would allow drivers to adjust the lane position to accommodate driver preference, just like they do with TACC following distance. Although even at the highest setting, 7, it's still closer than I prefer. I need a "10" setting. :)

Hopefully future updates will address these problems.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
In many cases the car is in the center, but we don’t think it is. This is because we spend all of our driving time on the left side of the car and attempt to put the center of the road down the center off the car, with various degrees of success. If you want to check the centering, either what you or the car is doing, adjust both side mirror in and down so you can see the side of you car and the road lines.

In many cases the car is in the center, but we don’t think it is. This is because we spend all of our driving time on the left side of the car and attempt to put the center of the road down the center off the car, with various degrees of success. If you want to check the centering, either what you or the car is doing, adjust both side mirror in and down so you can see the side of you car and the road lines.
Or turn on your side view cams

It's you.

Pull up the rear camera + side camera views, take a pic, and post it here. I bet your car is right in the center of the lane.

Took a long trip over the weekend and got to use Auto Steer for most of it. However I noticed that it put me about 6, maybe 9 inches or so further to the right than I would normally drive (This is in the US btw), in fact I could feel the car move over when I activated Auto Steer

It appeared to put the driver in the middle of the lane, whereas I normally would put the middle of the vehicle in the middle of the lane

Maybe it's me, but I figured I'd see if anyone else thought the same.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Right in the middle. Position rendering on left and rear & side cameras match.

1639513657011.png

Good idea, I'll give that a try

Yup. I'm almost always on FSDbeta now.

Are you on FSD there?

If not, then what's with the red lines and the green dots?

and tsk tsk for being seven over ;)

1UP are the most popular racks in the Bay Area.

Gonna shout out that 1UP bike rack you got there, nicely done! 😎

My cell service has been simply outstanding since getting jabbed. 😃

I thought it was the 5G booster antenna, in case the embedded chips weren't getting a strong enough signal from Bill Gates 😈

• Funny
Reactions: DarthStar