Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Positioning for Autopilot/Autosteer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lane positioning is contextual, it's not always programmed to keep dead center. I've noticed for example that when I have a right-exit coming up in the navigation, Autopilot (not NoA) will bias to the right of the lane. I think they may also have programmed in a bias to the left if you're in the far left lane of a highway; but of course on a one-lane undivided road, the far left lane is the only lane, and it doesn't make sense to bias toward oncoming traffic.

I get what you're saying, but that isn't what I'm trying to convey. On the same road, in the same lane, there is different behavior between left and right turns. The car should not be touching the lane lines in this situation. It feels like a calibration or controls issue, like a PID loop isn't tuned correctly somewhere.

People in this thread clamoring on about what the manual says are adding noise that isn't relevant.

• Love
Reactions: mikes_fsd
People in this thread clamoring on about what the manual says are adding noise that isn't relevant.

If you don't think responding to "It's not working right on these roads" by pointing out "the owners manual explicitly says it's not intended to work right on those roads" isn't relevant then I dunno what else to tell you.

The problem isn't the car- it's the...individual....behind the wheel.

• Disagree
The problem isn't the car- it's the...individual....behind the wheel.

To be fair to @hellchris , they may be using Autopilot in intended circumstances if they mean left and right hand curves, instead of left and right hand turns. But even sharp curves, as you may find on local-road-to-highway on-ramps are difficult for Autosteer right now. I do think it will improve once the 4D rewrite makes it public, as that aids the computer in predicting the trajectory of sharper curves.

To be fair to @hellchris , they may be using Autopilot in intended circumstances if they mean left and right hand curves, instead of left and right hand turns. But even sharp curves, as you may find on local-road-to-highway on-ramps are difficult for Autosteer right now. I do think it will improve once the 4D rewrite makes it public, as that aids the computer in predicting the trajectory of sharper curves.

He specifically mentioned it going over a double-yellow line.

Which doesn't exist on the limited access divided freeways autosteer is intended for use on.

I agree this should be "fixed" (or at least greatly improved) once AS is officially released as intended for use on local roads- but that's not the case with the current wide-release software- so complaining it doesn't work someplace it's not even intended to work is a waste of everyones time.

• Disagree
He specifically mentioned it going over a double-yellow line.

Which doesn't exist on the limited access divided freeways autosteer is intended for use on.

I agree this should be "fixed" (or at least greatly improved) once AS is officially released as intended for use on local roads- but that's not the case with the current wide-release software- so complaining it doesn't work someplace it's not even intended to work is a waste of everyones time.

On right sweeping curves, It also goes over the single yellow line and into the shoulder on divided highways. It also crosses the dashed white line on multi-lane highways. You aren't contributing to the conversation. Look at the title of the thread (
Lane Positioning for Autopilot/Autosteer) and then look at what you've been saying. We are all adults here, stop trying to be the AP police. It isn't germane to the conversation.

On right sweeping curves, It also goes over the single yellow line and into the shoulder on divided highways. It also crosses the dashed white line on multi-lane highways. You aren't contributing to the conversation. Look at the title of the thread (
Lane Positioning for Autopilot/Autosteer) and then look at what you've been saying. We are all adults here, stop trying to be the AP police. It isn't germane to the conversation.

Do you have some teslacam video showing it driving onto the shoulder on a divided highway or into other lanes on such roads?

I did look at title. Also the first post (which was about using it in the wrong place) and then your original post- which also was since it specifically cited double yellow lines.

If you're now...ehancing...your problem description to say it does it on freeways that changes the story significantly.

I've never experienced that myself in roughly 20,000 miles of AP/FSD highway driving so I'd be interested in seeing the footage- if it's to the degree you suggest then you'd want to have it on hand anyway for when you open a service ticket with Tesla.

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if this is something common, or an issue with my Model 3. If it matters, I'm in BC, Canada. The behaviour described is much more noticeable on highways, but can be observed in town on main roads as well.

Ever since we got the car, Autosteer has seemed to prefer the left side of the lane I'm in. In a country where we drive on the right, this is of course a bit unnerving at best, and dangerous at worse times. It also makes the driver look ridiculous and causes others to pass a bit more recklessly to "get out of the way", I imagine.

I pride myself in knowing where my wheels are at all times, so I waited until my wife followed in a different vehicle to confirm for certain that I'm not crazy and it is actually hugging the left side of the lane. Turns out I'm not crazy about this specific point.

It's worth mentioning it hugs the left the majority of the time. Going straight it's a bit more centred, but around here roads aren't perfectly straight for very long. On rightward curves, it begins the turn very late and stays that way, so my nose is nearly on the left line throughout the corner. On leftward curves, it begins the turn early and still hugs that left line, though generally does not cross it.

Also worth a mention is that the car "knows" it's doing this, as the road lines displayed on the screen indeed show the car hugging the left line (and even crossing it sometimes on rightward curves).

I know AP can't handle tight curves very well yet and tends to cut the corner, that's somewhat expected (and is how people actually drive to a degree). But these are _not_ strong curves in the road. This behaviour is the same whether the lane to my left is opposing traffic or a lane going the same direction as me. If a car is passing by I need to often take over as it is much too close for comfort.

Is this just how autosteer works for others as well, or is something wrong?