Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Positioning for Autopilot/Autosteer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I'm having nearly the identical problem to Juice. Picked up the car in late September (this is my second Tesla) and Iive on the SF peninsula, close to the Tesla engineering center. When AP is working correctly, the car is calm and solidly centered in the lane. When it's not working correctly it immediately steers for the left edge of the lane and is much less stable, seeming to bounce off the left-hand lane markers and wandering toward the middle of the lane and back. It's particularly egregious in turns. The lack of stability in this mode is enough to make AP uncomfortable and cause concern that other drivers might be worried about my driving. The problem is intermittent and on longer drives of more than one hour, the car seems to eventually fix itself. The behavior is very obvious to anyone in the car and is clearly visible on the display which shows the car driving on the left lane marker. No, you don't need someone following behind you to tell you that the car is driving on the left lane markers and not in the center of the road.

I contacted Tesla service about this and the techs responded that they could see some errors in the camera logs and asked that I provide timestamps for when the problem was happening. After providing a series of time stamps Tesla service texted me and asked that I set up a service appointment.

Brought the car in and they had it for over a week, continually extending the estimated service time and telling me that the techs were working with the engineers on the problem. Eventually, I was told the car was done and come pick it up. At the service center, I was told that the techs reseated all the camera connectors and were not able to duplicate the problem. So I drove it home. And it still has the problem.

Today, I was having the front of the car clear wrapped and the guys doing the work called to tell me that one of the two connectors on both of the front rear-facing cameras was disconnected. This is the smaller coax connector. These guys do a lot of Teslas (half the cars on the street around here are Teslas) and this is the first time they've seen this. I have to assume that this connector is not used because if one of the side rear-facing cameras is not working, the car will not perform an automatic lane change to that side while in AP. It should also put an error message on the display. I don't have an error message and my car happily performs auto lane changes.

This is clearly a problem of some sort. It's not normal and certainly not safe operation of AP to bounce along the left-hand side of the lane. But it's intermittent (at least in my case) and Tesla does not seem to have a fix for it yet.

I plan to contact a couple of the engineers I know at Tesla and see if I can get some traction. I'll let you know if I find anything out.

After three software updates in rapid succession (now on 2019.40.50.7 for the past week or so), and plugging in the coax connectors to the rear-facing front fender cameras, the AP lane positioning problem persists. I haven't been able to get to any of the engineers that work in the AP group, so I'll be setting up another service appointment.

In the meantime, the front passenger side dash has started rattling really annoyingly. I've already fixed the rattling of the rear seatbacks and will pull apart the dash in the next couple of weeks to fix that.

OK, I'm having nearly the identical problem to Juice. Picked up the car in late September (this is my second Tesla) and Iive on the SF peninsula, close to the Tesla engineering center. When AP is working correctly, the car is calm and solidly centered in the lane. When it's not working correctly it immediately steers for the left edge of the lane and is much less stable, seeming to bounce off the left-hand lane markers and wandering toward the middle of the lane and back. It's particularly egregious in turns. The lack of stability in this mode is enough to make AP uncomfortable and cause concern that other drivers might be worried about my driving. The problem is intermittent and on longer drives of more than one hour, the car seems to eventually fix itself. The behavior is very obvious to anyone in the car and is clearly visible on the display which shows the car driving on the left lane marker. No, you don't need someone following behind you to tell you that the car is driving on the left lane markers and not in the center of the road.

I contacted Tesla service about this and the techs responded that they could see some errors in the camera logs and asked that I provide timestamps for when the problem was happening. After providing a series of time stamps Tesla service texted me and asked that I set up a service appointment.

Brought the car in and they had it for over a week, continually extending the estimated service time and telling me that the techs were working with the engineers on the problem. Eventually, I was told the car was done and come pick it up. At the service center, I was told that the techs reseated all the camera connectors and were not able to duplicate the problem. So I drove it home. And it still has the problem.

Today, I was having the front of the car clear wrapped and the guys doing the work called to tell me that one of the two connectors on both of the front rear-facing cameras was disconnected. This is the smaller coax connector. These guys do a lot of Teslas (half the cars on the street around here are Teslas) and this is the first time they've seen this. I have to assume that this connector is not used because if one of the side rear-facing cameras is not working, the car will not perform an automatic lane change to that side while in AP. It should also put an error message on the display. I don't have an error message and my car happily performs auto lane changes.

This is clearly a problem of some sort. It's not normal and certainly not safe operation of AP to bounce along the left-hand side of the lane. But it's intermittent (at least in my case) and Tesla does not seem to have a fix for it yet.

I plan to contact a couple of the engineers I know at Tesla and see if I can get some traction. I'll let you know if I find anything out.

Did you get any resolution to this issue? I'm having the exact same issues with my Model S 2016.5! I've taken it in twice now for service to see if they can fix it. First time they recalibrated the camera, 2nd time they checked logs and said they don't see anything wrong and said it probably is a firmware issue and there is no fix at this time. I'm getting frustrated as this was one of the selling point for me when I purchased this car (CPO). Still under warranty and now I'm wondering if I should file a lemon law on this or see what they can do to fix this. May have to take it in a 3rd time at a different SC to see if someone else might find a fix.

Without a doubt my car will cross the left lane line when autopilot is activated. It's obvious when the car is half way into the lane to the left of me. Also, it's easy to confirm lane bias using the rear camera, assuming the lane has visible lines on both sides.

My car is not normal and clearly has an issue. I'm taking the car to service for this on Thursday. It'll be the third visit for the issue. Wish me luck.

Did you ever get this fixed? If so how? Thanks!

Same problem here. Is there any fix for this?

Attachments

• 8C6BC263-121E-4BC5-A868-B462905CA73A.jpeg
    8C6BC263-121E-4BC5-A868-B462905CA73A.jpeg
    395.3 KB · Views: 97
The weird thing is that it knows it isn't in the centre of the lane.

Same issue here. Completely intermittent with no apparent commonality between the instances. Even during the same drive Autosteer will work perfectly and then do the herky jerky many many miles later. Seems like a firmware issue since the car perceives that it is off-center and bouncing around - but would appreciate any info from anyone else.

Have a question... On US highway right-hand lanes, when these merge with on-ramp lanes, but if there is a short segment where there are no right side lane markers, I notice Autopilot briefly drifts rightward. It then corrects itself when the right lane marks re-emerge.

It hasn't actually done anything unsafe like switching lanes. But it just seems like it is incorrectly applying a general lane-centering algorithm when it should be staying aligned with the left hand lane marks, in that specific situation and where no turn indicator stalk input has been made.

Is this routine AP behavior for everyone else?

Yes- if you live in a state that doesn't mark roads properly you'll get the behavior you describe.

It's likely the re-write "fixes" this as it appears to stay to the side on even unmarked roads instead of just blindly centering

I just took the first long trip in my 2020 Model 3 and noticed that it was centered on straights, but on right turns it enters the turn late and hugs the left, then unwinds a bit late and bounces off the right side before centering again. A few times on the trip it actually crossed the double yellow. When driving manually the car tracks straight and my steering wheel is properly aligned. Would a manual recalibration help?

I just took the first long trip in my 2020 Model 3 and noticed that it was centered on straights, but on right turns it enters the turn late and hugs the left, then unwinds a bit late and bounces off the right side before centering again. A few times on the trip it actually crossed the double yellow. When driving manually the car tracks straight and my steering wheel is properly aligned. Would a manual recalibration help?

If only the owners manual specifically told you it's not intended for use on undivided roads like that.

Oh, wait, it does.

• Disagree
Reactions: mikes_fsd
This is getting old, don't you think

Here's what the latest version of the owner's manual says:

Autosteer is intended for use only by a fully attentive driver on freeways and highways where access is limited by entry and exit ramps. If you choose to use Autosteer on residential roads, a road without a center divider, or a road where access is not limited, Autosteer may limit the maximum allowed cruising speed.

It doesn't actively dissuade users from using it on a road without a divider anymore, but it does say that's not intended. I think FSD beta is the only case where driving on residential streets is the intended use.

• Love
That is a little off the point-- lane position during right turns is not correct. It doesn't matter where you find that lane: on a highway, on a city street, on a dirt road-- the behavior is the same, only the level of risk changes and nobody is arguing that.

Lane positioning is contextual, it's not always programmed to keep dead center. I've noticed for example that when I have a right-exit coming up in the navigation, Autopilot (not NoA) will bias to the right of the lane. I think they may also have programmed in a bias to the left if you're in the far left lane of a highway; but of course on a one-lane undivided road, the far left lane is the only lane, and it doesn't make sense to bias toward oncoming traffic.

This is getting old, don't you think.

Your inability to read the owners manual for your car? Yes, it IS getting old.

Owners Manual said:
Autosteer is intended for use only by a fully attentive driver on freeways and highways where access is limited by entry and exit ramps. If you choose to use Autosteer on residential roads, a road without a center divider, or a road where access is not limited, Autosteer may limit the maximum allowed cruising speed.

It EXPLICITLY says it's not intended to be used on a road like the poster was using it on.

Like I've already told you multiple times.

You don't listen too good.

• Disagree