Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Tracks in Nav on Instrument Panel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When navigation is running, sometimes I see a graphic box with lanes and some orange lines inside the navigation screen in the instrument panel. What is this graphic for?

I read somewhere about some kind of active lane guidance in cruise mode (not sure if such a feature is actually included, and what it really means though). Does the graphic have anything to do with that?

The orange lines in that nav display indicate which lanes are okay to stay in to keep on course. They show up particularly when a multi-lane highway splits off into two, to help avoid confusion. Pretty neat stuff actually.

Ah, you are right. I will try to make use of the information from now on. It sounds pretty neat indeed. Do we know how accurate and practical they really are?

It's funny that sometimes you get that, and other times you get the full blown graphic showing the lanes, overhead signs and all.

My guess is that the full blown graphic appears when you actually have to exit the highway.

Ah, you are right. I will try to make use of the information from now on. It sounds pretty neat indeed. Do we know how accurate and practical they really are?

Was in the LA area where there are way too many freeways and splits :) This display worked well for me in those situations, I thought.

Have to say though: the navigon nav sent me off on some suboptimal routes (even for getting to the Hawthorne supercharger on one occasion) and I had to ask for my wife's help in navigating with Google Maps on the iPhone to cross-reference and correct course (while also taking traffic into consideration in the process).

Was in the LA area where there are way too many freeways and splits :) This display worked well for me in those situations, I thought.

Have to say though: the navigon nav sent me off on some suboptimal routes (even for getting to the Hawthorne supercharger on one occasion) and I had to ask for my wife's help in navigating with Google Maps on the iPhone to cross-reference and correct course (while also taking traffic into consideration in the process).

We go up to the Hawthorne charger whenever we pick someone up at LAX or visit LA area, and put it in the Nav for info onky, and the navigation to the supercharger from the south is terrible. Tries to take you through some bad areas and onto other busy freeways. Surprised tesla can't do something correct this. Easy enough and quicker to just stay on the 405 and get off on 105 to Hawthorne blvd but the Nav wants to take you on surfce streets through terrible areas. Could easily see people from out of town simply following the Nav.

My experience is that they are very good, though not perfect. Had a positive experience with it today that was really helpful: I was going through a tricky intersection where one needed to go through an intersection and then immediately turn right onto a ramp that paralleled the cross street. The lane guide was perfect (and very helpful).

My experience is that they are very good, though not perfect. Had a positive experience with it today that was really helpful: I was going through a tricky intersection where one needed to go through an intersection and then immediately turn right onto a ramp that paralleled the cross street. The lane guide was perfect (and very helpful).

Most of the time I've found that to be true. However, there is one place in Dallas going north to 75 where it shows you're okay in three lanes but the reality is that you are okay in only two. That's one out of hundreds though. There are also a few confusing intersections where there isn't any pop up.

- - - Updated - - -

It's funny that sometimes you get that, and other times you get the full blown graphic showing the lanes, overhead signs and all.

The overhead signs are for an exit. The graphic is when there is a confusion intersection.

Has anyone had an update yet to the navigation maps? My car was manufactured late December - and it appears the navigation maps haven't changed.

Where there has been new road construction or changes to existing roads, the Google maps are pretty accurate and get updated quickly after the roads change. The navigation maps haven't been updated - so the navigation ignores the new roads and routes around them - even though the touchscreen navigation display shows the streets are there.

Would be much better to use the same maps for the touchscreen and for the navigation software - and completely eliminate the "free navigation map updates" feature - since even when we get the next navigation map update - it's likely to be out of date...

Where there has been new road construction or changes to existing roads, the Google maps are pretty accurate and get updated quickly after the roads change.

Except on a road near us that was planned and construction started about five years back, but the road was never finished and is not open. When starting any route from home and heading that direction Google Maps shows the road as open but drive down it and you'll come to a dead end.

- - - Updated - - -

Note that when driving at night, you also get to see the signs with illumination lights etc. Most likely tied into the light sensor.

The orange lines in that nav display indicate which lanes are okay to stay in to keep on course. They show up particularly when a multi-lane highway splits off into two, to help avoid confusion. Pretty neat stuff actually.

Yes, that's actually very handy on an unfamiliar highway. But I had a laugh on Monday when it me showed the lane indication on a two-lane road! Pretty sure I was already in the correct lane, since traffic was going in the opposite direction in the other one...