TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Laptop Battery Shortage

Discussion in 'News' started by doug, Mar 26, 2008.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

2. Kardax

Kardax Member

It depends on how far in advance Tesla buys their batteries, and if any contracted prices are involved. Also, the factory is going to be fully operational again in a few months... at Tesla's current glacial production rate, it may not be affected at all.

-Ryan

3. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Well 6,831 batteries suffice for 1,700 laptops with 4-cell batteriy or one Tesla Roadster. With one car per week for next 3 months that sumps up to 13 x 6,831 -> 88,803 which equivalents to some 22,200 4-cell laptops. Tesla stated this year total production will be around 600 cars. That is 600 x 6,831 = 4,098,600 cells or over a million laptops. What is total annual laptop production? I guess Tesla will quickly become a major LiIon 'consumer'.

4. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

This source says that the world quarterly sales of PCs is 66 million units and over 50% of that is laptops. So that makes it at around 120mill units yearly last year. So it still seams Tesla will be relatively small.

Cobos

5. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Thanks for your informative replies. I don't think Tesla will have any problem getting enough battery supply. Just curious how this would affect the short term cost of the ESS. Of course the article didn't give us any real numbers about the change in the cost of Li:ion cells.