Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Large breed dog & Rear load floor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
C97FD366-70FB-4AC2-938F-AEE671CEEBCE.jpeg
I have a Lab-Dane mix puppy and when he’s riding in the cargo area not only does he block any remaining visibility in the rear view, but his head hits the crossbeam above the rear seats.

I decided to remove the cover of the rear load floor (above the trunk) and drop in some bedding and a blanket. This gives him an extra 4-5 inches of headspace with the additional benefit of creating kind of a bolstered bed that he really enjoys (see pics)

According to the owners manual the rear load floor can hold up to 130 pounds (that’s gonna be close when he’s full grown). For now though I’m concerned about the molded floor piece in the center of the load floor (see pic). When I just lay my hand on it, it partially collapses with no support. This appears to be the way it’s constructed as a friend of mine confirmed his Y has this too Wondering if this is going to be a problem. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 10DFBD35-E881-4B85-83ED-802E621677EC.jpeg
    10DFBD35-E881-4B85-83ED-802E621677EC.jpeg
    484.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 8E9F7DEC-86DB-42A1-A8F5-8749FE7D78DA.jpeg
    8E9F7DEC-86DB-42A1-A8F5-8749FE7D78DA.jpeg
    566.5 KB · Views: 150
  • 3D9BA52B-9BDC-4981-8560-3CF2823D25F5.jpeg
    3D9BA52B-9BDC-4981-8560-3CF2823D25F5.jpeg
    591.2 KB · Views: 125
My dog is pretty big too, though most likely not as big as yours will be full grown, so I've gone through a lot of thought about having her in the rear cargo.

Ideally, your pup should be laying down during a car ride. There's little need for them to stand, and if it's a long road trip, letting them struggle sitting up and having them lay down most of the time in between stops is not abnormal or uncomfortable.

The idea is the dog should be able to get up to turn around or readjust. I wouldn't worry too much about overall head room.

My poor dog is always hunched over when she sits or tries to stand in the back, and she has pointy ears that are always folded down. She looks miserable, but really she just needs to lay down for the quick car ride.

I've done 500 mile trips no problem.

My pup, for reference, is 40" nose to tail, 26-27" withers, and 85 lbs.

Question though, do you worry that little space might become too small for your pup to like in the future too?

EDIT: forgot to mention, your pup is VERY cute and looks like he loves the little bolstered bed.

My dog is pretty big too, though most likely not as big as yours will be full grown, so I've gone through a lot of thought about having her in the rear cargo.

Ideally, your pup should be laying down during a car ride. There's little need for them to stand, and if it's a long road trip, letting them struggle sitting up and having them lay down most of the time in between stops is not abnormal or uncomfortable.

The idea is the dog should be able to get up to turn around or readjust. I wouldn't worry too much about overall head room.

My poor dog is always hunched over when she sits or tries to stand in the back, and she has pointy ears that are always folded down. She looks miserable, but really she just needs to lay down for the quick car ride.

I've done 500 mile trips no problem.

My pup, for reference, is 40" nose to tail, 26-27" withers, and 85 lbs.

Question though, do you worry that little space might become too small for your pup to like in the future too?

EDIT: forgot to mention, your pup is VERY cute and looks like he loves the little bolstered bed.

He’s already partially lying out of the space, but looks comfortable so far. Thanks

Reactions: noshadow
I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback and he will just lay down and stay down. I have bought my dog a very comfy bed from Costco and he loves it. He sometimes gets up but will put his head on the top of the middle back seat and just chill there. He is 100lb and seems like nothing broke since we started having him in the back cargo. I will try to post a picture of him laying in the cargo and sitting (sitting he has no room from the beam but that makes him lay down more which is great)

Great looking Dog. They have a great ability to find the most comfortable position, no matter where they are.

My Goldens just loved riding in the back of my X. For some reason they were very excitable when riding in my ICE, but super mellow in my Tesla. Much more mellow riding back there. I just needed to leash them up so they would not keep trying to come up front.