Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Large crack in pano roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the unfortunate discovery of a large crack in my pano roof yesterday. I would estimate it is about 18" long. It seemed to appear out of nowhere. I have thoroughly looked over the area, and there is no damage (chips, dents, etc) other than the crack itself. I have only had the car 2 weeks. I am hesitant to file an insurance claim if this is possibly a defect.

I have reached out to Tesla. But, they couldn't understand why I would contact them, and all they could do is refer me to a body shop. It's unfortunate to have something like this occur 2 weeks after delivery. Ugh!

IMG_3996.JPG
IMG_3997.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI. My roof panel replacement is back ordered. Has a slight lip on front edge, i.e., it's not lying flush. I was concerned about issues in the future and aesthetics though I hadn't thought of the possibility of cracks. But that's a heavy panel to not be lying flush.

Some S owners had similar issue and complained of noise, but not sure if cracks were involved. Obviously it may be too late to determine if you had a similar issue -- or if it was causal -- but it wouldn't hurt to investigate.

I had the unfortunate discovery of a large crack in my pano roof yesterday. I would estimate it is about 18" long. It seemed to appear out of nowhere. I have thoroughly looked over the area, and there is no damage (chips, dents, etc) other than the crack itself. I have only had the car 2 weeks. I am hesitant to file an insurance claim if this is possibly a defect.

I have reached out to Tesla. But, they couldn't understand why I would contact them, and all they could do is refer me to a body shop. It's unfortunate to have something like this occur 2 weeks after delivery. Ugh!

This looks like a manufacturing defect being so close to purchase. If the failure is at an edge, this is due to inadequate grind during fabrication or mechanical damage during transport or installation. I saw a M3 at the store yesterday and it had a small chip at the edge of the roof glass. This will likely lead to failure due to frame deformation when going over bumps. If they give you a hard time, escalate up the management chain until you resolve or escalate to an executive at Tesla. If the crack originates not at the edge, contact your insurance.

• Informative
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
This happened to me 2 weeks ago as soon as I got home from my delivery after a 2 hr drive from my SC. When I got home, I noticed several large cracks starting from the front of the sunroof. No noticeable break to the windshield at all. Called them the next morning on Sat. My delivery guy asked me to send him pics. right after this, I had several calls from the SC that they are working on this and will remedy this right away. A few days later, they arranged to pick up my car and drop off a loaner Tesla to me 2 hrs away. They called me on Fri that its fixed and will drop off my car tomorrow. Will update you on the repair. I would definitely keep calling them until they fix this on their dime. The car was perfect to me otherwise!

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180203_102231.jpg
    MVIMG_20180203_102231.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 916
  • MVIMG_20180203_102214.jpg
    MVIMG_20180203_102214.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 893
  • MVIMG_20180203_102114.jpg
    MVIMG_20180203_102114.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 943
IMG_7048.JPG IMG_8304.JPG IMG_5956.JPG
When I went to in one day in December to have my S serviced, someone else with a Model 3 was saying their car had a crack on the glass roof. Not sure if it came that way delivered or it developed it from driving.
Just saw mine had the exact same crack....called Tesla and they immediately ordered a replacement part--really no questions asked. Seems like they've seen it before.

Last edited:
This is all raising concern....starting to look like a recurring issue. I’m seeing multiple posts by multiple owners relating to this same issue. Some happening just weeks later after pickup and some even on the drive home from pickup from Tesla. I don’t know the total count at this point but the numbers appear to be growing (to me at an eye raising though not yet alarming rate). What do we attribute this to? Is it a design issue or possibly a manufacturing issue?
Hopefully Tesla can iron this out. I’m an AWD waiter so I have almost a year for config....so hopefully ironed out by then. My concern is right now Tesla just appears to be offering “replacements” on the roof glass which is appropriate but this is not answering or addressing the real issue at hand. What is causing all these glass cracks? And how do we address the underlying cause of these. I know it’s not happening on every car but they are planning to turn out 500,000 vehicles....it would behoove them to figure out what is causing the cracking to begin with on all these glass replace,ents all in the name of keeping costs down.

Ski

My concern is right now Tesla just appears to be offering “replacements” on the roof glass which is appropriate but this is not answering or addressing the real issue at hand. What is causing all these glass cracks? And how do we address the underlying cause of these.
Why do you think that Tesla isn’t addressing the underlying cause of the glass cracks? They’ve addressed every issue in the S and X over the years. Give them a little credit.

Reactions: SMAlset
This is all raising concern....starting to look like a recurring issue. I’m seeing multiple posts by multiple owners relating to this same issue. Some happening just weeks later after pickup and some even on the drive home from pickup from Tesla. I don’t know the total count at this point but the numbers appear to be growing (to me at an eye raising though not yet alarming rate). What do we attribute this to? Is it a design issue or possibly a manufacturing issue?
Hopefully Tesla can iron this out. I’m an AWD waiter so I have almost a year for config....so hopefully ironed out by then. My concern is right now Tesla just appears to be offering “replacements” on the roof glass which is appropriate but this is not answering or addressing the real issue at hand. What is causing all these glass cracks? And how do we address the underlying cause of these. I know it’s not happening on every car but they are planning to turn out 500,000 vehicles....it would behoove them to figure out what is causing the cracking to begin with on all these glass replace,ents all in the name of keeping costs down.

Ski
I would think if its a trend they will correct the problem or they will have to buy a glass company!! Although your statement does make me wonder if I have my car 2 or 3 years down the road and all of a sudden cracked are they still going to replace?

I would think if its a trend they will correct the problem or they will have to buy a glass company!! Although your statement does make me wonder if I have my car 2 or 3 years down the road and all of a sudden cracked are they still going to replace?
I am just happy that I didn’t get my windows tinted yet. The real question is at what point this will be remedied with a permanent fix.

Insofar as the long term issues, this is really no different than the multiple issues that I had with my first generation BMW F10 5series ...as long as they take care of it all—I am happy with the car. As much of a pain as it was to deal with the issues, it is still more fun to drive these cars than my previous Hondas.