Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Large crack in pano roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long between ordering the part and service appt? Just trying to gauge turnaround time for something like this.
Answering my own question here. Got a call today from service center, the part is available and I am scheduled for install tomorrow. Service advisor said the problem is less so about the glass, but how it was installed with the machine putting too pressure on the glass. They have apparently rectified the issue for all future cars from the factory, but could be an issue for cars manufactured pre Feb. Hope this helps

My car is at the SC for other issuses but I pointed out a small stone chip in the pano glass. It is more of a pit then and actual chip. I only noted it as I didn't want it to radiate into a future crack. They e-mailed me yesterday to inform me that the near rear glass should be here today and they were going to replace the glass. The initial problem isn't really bothering me---I just pointed it out. I told them it is their call but I really don't think it is worth the effort or expense to change the glass over the pit. The cure of replacing the glass might be worse than letting the pit stay as is. I was just going to put a little superglue in the pit and call it a day.

I guess the point is that every seemingly minor issue with the car is being addressed without any pushback from the service center. They have actually handled issues on this vehicle easier than my original model S.

Why do you think that Tesla isn’t addressing the underlying cause of the glass cracks? They’ve addressed every issue in the S and X over the years. Give them a little credit.

Its just an educated guess, but I suspect the underlying cause is variance caused by the current semi-manual Model 3 assembly. Too much variation in either the dimensions and specs of the car, or in the application of the glass. Its less likely that the actual glass is the issue. Glass is easy.

Reactions: Icer
Makes me wonder if driving a glass roof car on uneven roads, even at slow speeds, would have more glass roofs breaking due to body flex. None of my metal roof cars ever broke! High tech isn't always best!

BMW has had issues with this, multiple sunroof "explosions" due to flex of the car, BMW denies issues, but the boards are flush with people driving and all of the sudden hear a pop, and the entire sunroof is in pieces.

Reactions: Icer
This just happened to my car, two months and 3800 miles since delivery, car #41xx. Glass roof panel on backorder. They have the car, I have an S loaner, no word yet on how long it will take. I noticed the crack just after a particularly fun, spirited drive on a twisty back country road.

Upon close inspection of the glass panel fit, I noticed it was installed with the glass fitting slightly higher than the windshield on the driver side, and dipping to a low point exactly where the crack starts at the front edge.

B21A5F04-FC00-45A2-ABD2-D971053453F7.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
This just happened to my car, two months and 3800 miles since delivery, car #41xx. Glass roof panel on backorder. They have the car, I have an S loaner, no word yet on how long it will take. I noticed the crack just after a particularly fun, spirited drive on a twisty back country road.

Upon close inspection of the glass panel fit, I noticed it was installed with the glass fitting slightly higher than the windshield on the driver side, and dipping to a low point exactly where the crack starts at the front edge.

View attachment 292914
Exactly the same pattern as the other instances (including the one on my car). The fixed it within 24 hours--luckily they had the part readily available. Good luck...

Got my car back yesterday, a well done repair and looks as good as new. Summary: I brought it to the service center Saturday morning without an appointment. I got a Model S loaner. It took them Monday to source a replacement glass panel, they installed it Tuesday, and I picked up my car just before service center closed on Tuesday.

I had the unfortunate discovery of a large crack in my pano roof yesterday. I would estimate it is about 18" long. It seemed to appear out of nowhere. I have thoroughly looked over the area, and there is no damage (chips, dents, etc) other than the crack itself. I have only had the car 2 weeks. I am hesitant to file an insurance claim if this is possibly a defect.

I have reached out to Tesla. But, they couldn't understand why I would contact them, and all they could do is refer me to a body shop. It's unfortunate to have something like this occur 2 weeks after delivery. Ugh!

View attachment 280988 View attachment 280989
I have similar cracks at rear passenger side near the trunk line. Will be call SC tomorrow.