Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Large difference between estimated range and actual range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my Model Y about a week now and am curious if the discrepancy I’m seeing between estimated range and actual range is “normal.” I have a 50 mile commute to work, but my estimated range drops by 70-80 miles each way, so rather than burning 100 miles in range per day, I’m burning about 50% more than that. I get that the range is estimated but didn’t expect that big a discrepancy. I also understand that actual range varies according to things like battery regeneration, AC use, etc. but isn’t the car’s estimation software supposed to take those things into consideration when providing the estimate? I’m just trying to determine if this is “normal” or if I should place a service call. Thanks!

Please start reading through some of the sticky threads at the top of the Model 3 battery & charging section. The Model Y is just a newer body on the Model 3 platform, so all of this has been discussed for years there.
Model 3: Battery & Charging

The answer is no, there is no problem because of a few things.
but isn’t the car’s estimation software supposed to take those things into consideration when providing the estimate?
You are misunderstanding that part. That number is not an estimate. It doesn't use the "Guess-O-Meter" method like most other brands of electric cars do, where it's trying to take your particular past driving efficiencies into account to display one number as an estimate of driving miles left.

That number in a Tesla is just called "rated miles". It's taking the amount of energy in the battery and dividing by the fixed efficiency constant from the EPA testing method to make it more like a fuel gauge that happens to look like a kind of distance-ish number. But EPA testing is a bit granny-like. It does not include ANY heating or cooling, and who really drives like EPA conditions most of the time? So that number on your screen is not just for "miles". It's for heat + miles + misc. It's always going to be ballpark high by some fudge factor and tick off more of the rated miles versus your real distance miles. Just use the car for another couple of months and get used to that and don't freak out--it's fine.

I’ve had my Model Y about a week now and am curious if the discrepancy I’m seeing between estimated range and actual range is “normal.” I have a 50 mile commute to work, but my estimated range drops by 70-80 miles each way, so rather than burning 100 miles in range per day, I’m burning about 50% more than that. I get that the range is estimated but didn’t expect that big a discrepancy. I also understand that actual range varies according to things like battery regeneration, AC use, etc. but isn’t the car’s estimation software supposed to take those things into consideration when providing the estimate? I’m just trying to determine if this is “normal” or if I should place a service call. Thanks!
It's probably pretty normal. Are you highway driving? What's the temperature? If you're going 70-80mph for most of that 50 miles, you won't hit the rated range. My commute is 70 miles per day and I use 80-100 miles of range depending on these factors. Speed is the biggest factor after temperature (winter efficiency will be worse).

Open Energy window - that will show you the ACTUAL projected range

Thank you all for the responses. All were very helpful. I never expected the estimated range to be 100% accurate, but didn’t expect it to be THIS inaccurate. Yes, my commute is probably 80% highway travel at about 60-75 MPH so I guess I’m getting a fairly average result.

I did go read the sticky posts under Model 3 as suggested and that was helpful as well, but I’m curious how I, as a brand new Model Y owner was supposed to know that I should start there, given that I’m not a model 3 owner. I get it now (the Y is basically a larger version of the 3), but the forum organization doesn’t exactly make that an intuitive assumption.

I did go read the sticky posts under Model 3 as suggested and that was helpful as well, but I’m curious how I, as a brand new Model Y owner was supposed to know that I should start there, given that I’m not a model 3 owner. I get it now (the Y is basically a larger version of the 3), but the forum organization doesn’t exactly make that an intuitive assumption.
I'm not sure of a better way to organize it other than maybe just putting a note at the top of the Model Y sections to recommend checking the Model 3 sections. That's also why there's hardly any discussion under Model X other than unique things like the falcon wing doors. All of it was covered for years under Model S.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
What you are experiencing is consistent with my own experience with Model Y.

I had similar results at first, and concluded that for a trip I would get 250 miles at best, and would recharge every 200 miles to avoid range anxiety. However after about 3,000 miles I am getting much better range, even over 300 miles for a full charge.. My driving style has not changed, so perhaps some initial stiffness in the parts has loosened things up?

I had similar results at first, and concluded that for a trip I would get 250 miles at best, and would recharge every 200 miles to avoid range anxiety. However after about 3,000 miles I am getting much better range, even over 300 miles for a full charge.. My driving style has not changed, so perhaps some initial stiffness in the parts has loosened things up?
Is this for daily use, i.e. always the same trips? Energy consumption is very much dependent on speed, wind, altitude incline/decline, outside temperature etc. so you can't say that in general you need to recharge every 200 miles.

I recharge when the battery percentage gets below a certain level.

Is this for daily use, i.e. always the same trips? Energy consumption is very much dependent on speed, wind, altitude incline/decline, outside temperature etc. so you can't say that in general you need to recharge every 200 miles.
I meant when trip planning I would not plan driving any more than 200 miles to the next charge point. Daily driving I recharge when range drops to 50-100 miles.

Reactions: frankvb