Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Large Rear Drive Unit Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
COMMENT

1. Harris Littman Just wondering if this means they replaced the rear motor or computer board? What could cause this to happen? Would anyone know? TESLA has apparently replaced the Large rear drive unit under the warranty. Just concerned since the vehicle only has 41k miles on it. It is late 2015 P90DL Model S with the original battery pack. Any information would be sincerely appreciated. TYIA, Harris Littman

A milling noise on acceleration and deceleration from the rear drive. I set my phone in the lower rear trunk and recorded it. Local service center received the audio, ordered the replacement unit and installed it once it arrived.

I did exactly the same thing, but they said it wasn't loud enough while they were sitting in the driver's seat.

Could you share the audio so I can see if I need to be worried / go to a different Service Center?

They also have a algorithm for change, before it get a sound or simular. Had it on my P100DL.
Do you mean they have identified likely vehicles for DU replacement? Because on the forums the problem seems to be endemic 2013 P85s (which I just got), so I'd like to know how to get my Service Center to check to make absolutely sure.

That or learn the part numbers and check on the forum to make sure the DU in my car has the ceramic bearings.