Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Large type (font)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm new to this forum. Is this the best place to post "wish list" items?

I wear bi-focals and the have a dead zone just about where the screen is on our model 3. it would sure be great if we could adjust the font size for many or all of the functions on the screen. I can't read the time or navigation without moving my face closer to the screen. So when navigating I am at the mercy of the voice prompts. I can't be the only senior (age 70) driver who has this problem.

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Is this the best place to post "wish list" items?

I wear bi-focals and the have a dead zone just about where the screen is on our model 3. it would sure be great if we could adjust the font size for many or all of the functions on the screen. I can't read the time or navigation without moving my face closer to the screen. So when navigating I am at the mercy of the voice prompts. I can't be the only senior (age 70) driver who has this problem.
I understand the issue. FWIW I’ve needed distance vision correction lenses since high school. Of course as the years flew by my near vision also declined. Happens with advancing wisdom.... uhh age.

The magic bullet for me is daily wear disposable soft multifocal contacts. Pop in a fresh pair every morning and have excellent distant, mid and close vision without glasses.

See if your eye doc can fix you up with a trial set.

• Informative
Reactions: xpdveej21
I often drive with readers... :( I know, I know...

Welcome to the forum and yes, thanks for bringing it up. Have often wished for larger fonts.

My DeWalt bifocal tinted safety glasses work great during the day and the price is right. I look cool too :cool:

Normally it should work. I am not sure from where those strange fonts (old English font style) are coming. It seems like your theme or other plugins are adding code into the forum-html. For example there are code-tags around various strings which are definitely not coming from me.

Please try this code and replace the font with the one you want to use:

Code:
 kbd, pre, samp {
   font-family: Arial !important;
}

Don't know where to put this topic for the Admin and others to consider:

Is there any chance TeslaOwner'sClub could shift to a different answer format? I find myself looking for more complete and well thought out responses, and notice they are few and far between. I notice I seek out the longer paragraphed answers and skip over the bulk of the short replies. Maybe others here feel the same way. Please respond with your feelings about this. As an example, perhaps just to consider, I found rules on another (non-car) site that stated........

When answering a question that has been submitted into this space, we ask that you follow some guidelines.

We will not accept any answers that are 5 sentences or less.

We want the answers to be educational and or have verifiable information relating to the question.

As a writing platform, we should be able to provide our readers with more engaging information than one line.

Be proud of the writing you submit on your page or space and think about the questioner who is asking for well thought out answers, not one-lined snap responses..

Please make sure your spelling and grammar are formatted properly as well and if you need help or have questions, please feel free to contact an Admin!

Thank You.

Is there any chance TeslaOwner'sClub could shift to a different answer format? I find myself looking for more complete and well thought out responses, and notice they are few and far between. I notice I seek out the longer paragraphed answers and skip over the bulk of the short replies. Maybe others here feel the same way. Please respond with your feelings about this. As an example, perhaps just to consider, I found rules on another (non-car) site that stated........

When answering a question that has been submitted into this space, we ask that you follow some guidelines.

We want the answers to be educational and or have verifiable information relating to the question.

As a writing platform, we should be able to provide our readers with more engaging information than one line.

Be proud of the writing you submit on your page or space and think about the questioner who is asking for well thought out answers, not one-lined snap responses..

Please make sure your spelling and grammar are formatted properly as well and if you need help or have questions, please feel free to contact an Admin!

Thank You.
I like when people are efficient with words.

Thank You.

Maybe.

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
Speaking as an optometrist and advocate for people who have vision impairments, I agree with the ideas in this post. Not everyone who drives a Tesla is 25 yrs old and has 20/15 vision at both distance and near. Sure, many people have great vision, but people have different visual needs for a variety of reasons, and if we assume that everyone can see 6 pt font with or without their glasses, we've limited the visual options of many drivers.

In my state, the visual acuity requirement for driving without glasses is 20/40 distance vision in one eye. There is no visual acuity requirement for near vision. When we're 25 yrs old, our eyes automagically focus from distance tasks to near tasks without us even realizing when it happens. When we're 50 yrs old, it's much more difficult to change our focus from far to near, and many people start wearing multifocals to see distance and near tasks. (Just wait, it will happen to you). Have you ever tried looking through your multifocal (in the bottom 10% of your glasses) to see the time on the top of your center console? It quickly becomes a chiropractic issue!

The point of this would be to provide options for those who need or desire it. The volume control allows people with different hearing abilities to listen at the decibel level that's comfortable for them. An arc second visual acuity adjustment control would allow people to adjust the visual user interface to a level that's comfortable for them. Sure, that's a coding issue, but we already have great examples of computer programs that do it well.

I've often thought to myself that this issue won't be fixed until the day Elon sits down in his Tesla and realizes that he can't see the center console like he used to. If that happens on a Tuesday, it will be fixed by Friday.

you'll want to leave feedback via your tesla account for something like this. Posting on this forum, no matter how well the request and responses are worded, is not going to get seen by anyone at Tesla that's in a position to action it.

When we're 50 yrs old, it's much more difficult to change our focus from far to near, and many people start wearing multifocals to see distance and near tasks. (Just wait, it will happen to you).
I'm 63. When I was in my mid-40s my OD said the same thing to me. I blame him for my visual degradation by putting that idea in my head. I'm POSITIVE that my eyesight would not have gotten worse. :)

FWIW, I'm extremely nearsighted (about 20/200 since my teens) and my close-focus distance is around 7-8". I've been wearing bifocals with the division line 1/2 way up the lens for the last 12 years. I used to wear contacts (-4.0, with astigmatism to boot) when I worked and had to wear cheaters (+1.75 I think) when working on the computer; yeah, SIX eyes!. Driving the car with my bifocals isn't too much of a problem for reading the screen during the daylight but at night it's getting harder to sharply see the smallest type on the screen. With contacts, I would also have to wear the cheaters if I wanted to have everything on the screen in focus. Getting old sucks.

I can see far well, but, when it comes to easily and quickly choosing what I want on the Model 3 display, I have difficulty finding and clicking on the desired
UI icons. They're lite gray and then black, but if you could (customize?) be able to assign a choice of colors to your priority icons, it would be so much safer!!