Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Large Upload

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TT97

Aug 6, 2017
Los Angeles
My 3 has been awake for a few hours so I thought it may be downloading new update. When I checked my router, I saw that it uploaded 190 MB over a short period.

Anyone else have large uploads from their car? Any ideas what it could be?

20181020_024340000_iOS.jpg

The service supervisor said a large map update was pending
That will be a download. The OP was referring to an upload of data from his car to Tesla.

@TT97 I can speculate that your car could be contributing data to the Tesla neural network that is being used to improve Auto Pilot. But I have no way to know if that is actually the case.

Yea i had a 1.1 GB upload a few days ago and then another 300 MB one yesterday - i think they are gathering data for the neural net based on certain triggers. I always try to think what i did that they found interesting and wanted to upload :D

I'm also wondering if they are working on HD maps, they could be uploading lots of data from tons of cars to help build them. Any data they gather for the NN requires someone (or something) to label it!

I had been travelling a just returned Wednesday night so only have driven 22 miles so far on V9. I was in heavy freeway traffic today with EAP engaged. I did try several auto-lane changes but overrode all but one as it took too long to decide to change lanes including one time it started moving over and then returned to the original lane before I overrode.

I am hoping the new hesitance has to do with the cameras still calibrating (every car that passes me on the screen does a quick body check before moving on) and will improve quickly. Hopefully, the data uploads are for those events in order to implement "Mad Max" setting (as "L.A. Traffic" setting is too extreme). The auto-lane change current hesitance makes it useless in L.A. traffic.