TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Large Upload

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by TT97, Oct 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TT97

TT97 Active Member

My 3 has been awake for a few hours so I thought it may be downloading new update. When I checked my router, I saw that it uploaded 190 MB over a short period.

Anyone else have large uploads from their car? Any ideas what it could be?

20181020_024340000_iOS.jpg

2. boiler81

boiler81 Member

I picked up my car from service on Monday. The service supervisor said a large map update was pending and to keep my car connected to wifi when home.

Maybe that's what you got.

3. TT97

TT97 Active Member

It was an upload, not a download. My car sent a bunch of data to Tesla.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

That will be a download. The OP was referring to an upload of data from his car to Tesla.

@TT97 I can speculate that your car could be contributing data to the Tesla neural network that is being used to improve Auto Pilot. But I have no way to know if that is actually the case.

5. NuclearPowered

Uploaded about 1.3 gb over the last 3 days.

6. ConcordeSST

ConcordeSST Supporting Member

Have you reported any bugs recently? It uploads vehicle logs when you do.

7. Gavyne

Gavyne Member

Neural net, hard at work.

8. Big Dog

Big Dog Member

Calling/syncing with Starman?

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  9. ngogas

ngogas Active Member

Uploading to Tesla what you had for dinner. Lol

• Like x 1
  10. TT97

TT97 Active Member

Jokes on them, it uploaded before I had dinner. :confused:

11. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

Yea i had a 1.1 GB upload a few days ago and then another 300 MB one yesterday - i think they are gathering data for the neural net based on certain triggers. I always try to think what i did that they found interesting and wanted to upload :D

I'm also wondering if they are working on HD maps, they could be uploading lots of data from tons of cars to help build them. Any data they gather for the NN requires someone (or something) to label it!

12. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Mine does that as well.

It's a good reminder of all the hard work we do for Tesla.

• Funny x 1
  13. TT97

TT97 Active Member

I had been travelling a just returned Wednesday night so only have driven 22 miles so far on V9. I was in heavy freeway traffic today with EAP engaged. I did try several auto-lane changes but overrode all but one as it took too long to decide to change lanes including one time it started moving over and then returned to the original lane before I overrode.

I am hoping the new hesitance has to do with the cameras still calibrating (every car that passes me on the screen does a quick body check before moving on) and will improve quickly. Hopefully, the data uploads are for those events in order to implement "Mad Max" setting (as "L.A. Traffic" setting is too extreme). The auto-lane change current hesitance makes it useless in L.A. traffic.

14. NuclearPowered

Lots of (careful) autopilot driving on twisty mountain roads. Also quite a few disengagements.