Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Larger battery bundled with AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd be fine with the range of a 70D, but I want the speed of the 85D... (or 90)

also, with two motors, you are actually more reliable. Elon has stated the vehicle can drive on either if one is not working... maybe not all that well, but you won't be stranded...

Reactions: Booga
If the bigger battery is offered without dual-motors, that would be an absolute win for me. The added range of going dual-motors and better efficiency is negligible for me for the price. My main reasons for wanting the bigger battery is for the performance increase (makes a much greater difference than dual-motors by themselves) and better charging efficiency. Even with dual motors being more "reliable", I'd rather have the extra $5000 in hand to go to other options more important to me, and paying for maintenance.

My main reasons for wanting the bigger battery is for the performance increase (makes a much greater difference than dual-motors by themselves)

This depends on two factors, you're assuming the voltages are different on the battery packs and that dual motors will offer the exact same HP as a single RWD motor.

If Tesla decided to keep the voltages the same then battery capacity will not affect performance (assuming both are within a safe discharge rate).

This depends on two factors, you're assuming the voltages are different on the battery packs and that dual motors will offer the exact same HP as a single RWD motor.

If Tesla decided to keep the voltages the same then battery capacity will not affect performance (assuming both are within a safe discharge rate).
The power delivery is one thing, but another limiting factor is likely what the tires will allow. If you can deliver power from all 4 wheels, your acceleration from a stop is greatly increased.

When this isn't from a stop though, I agree 100% with you.

If you can deliver power from all 4 wheels, your acceleration from a stop is greatly increased.

Well, in real life this depends.
If the HP numbers are perfectly equal then you'll only get better acceleration with AWD if your tires are slipping with RWD (keep in mind the RWD vehicle is lighter too). AWD will be better in adverse conditions due to the increased traction. If traction is maintained though, the lighter RWD vehicle with the same HP should theoretically have better acceleration (simply due to weight difference alone).

Personally I'd go AWD every time because roads aren't all perfect and it's not sunny here all the time.

Well, in real life this depends.
If the HP numbers are perfectly equal then you'll only get better acceleration with AWD if your tires are slipping with RWD (keep in mind the RWD vehicle is lighter too). AWD will be better in adverse conditions due to the increased traction. If traction is maintained though, the lighter RWD vehicle with the same HP should theoretically have better acceleration (simply due to weight difference alone).

Personally I'd go AWD every time because roads aren't all perfect and it's not sunny here all the time.
Nod. Electric cars can deliver too much torque from a point of no movement and so while we might floor the pedal, the actual power delivery gradually ramps up, though it was capable of more from an earlier point. (I say this from experiences with electric go karts where I could slam the pedal and throw the kart around at speeds under 5 mph, because of this instant torque)

Given that they can deliver so much power, I think the additional motors will almost always be helpful, but your point is well taken, that all else equal, RWD would be better due to less weight.

I should have added the qualifier "based on the specs of the Model S options". I was only going by the differences in performance between the 70, 70D and 90D.