Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Larger battery bundled with AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently Tesla discontinued it's MS 85, obliging those interested in a larger battery pack to spend 17 k$ more than the MS 70, including AWD.

Many people assume that it will happen again with M3, but I hope Tesla will offer a M3 75/80 (without D).

M3 buyers aren't as wealthy as MS ones and their budget is tighter, but they may require similar ranges.

For me, living ina sunny and mild region, AWD only ads up more weight, money, more possibilities of failure (2 drive trains instead of 1), and less frunk.

Besides, it's not clear that it ads more range in real life.

So what do you think? Will they be bundled?

I would assume that and will be optional on the small battery and possibly included on the large battery versions.
There has been lots of discussion about them utilizing less of the pick'n'mix for options and much more larger option bundles to simplify the manufacturing process. If that was the case then the AWD/big battery would seem be much more likely.

I think there are two questions here:

(1) Will D be offered with the base battery, or just with the larger battery?
(2) As you mentioned, will Tesla offer a non-D option for the larger battery?

Tesla has stated that, for the Model 3, ease of manufacturing was a high priority. Some see this as meaning fewer configuration variants. I personally hope Tesla allows both D and non-D configurations.

For me, living ina sunny and mild region, AWD only ads up more weight, money, more possibilities of failure (2 drive trains instead of 1), and less frunk.

I don't know if you missed it but all of the Model Ss, even the RWD version, now come with a small frunk. Certainly the Model 3 will be that way as well since they are trying to simplify manufacturing.

I fully expect that just like the Model S that to get the larger battery you will be required to get AWD.

with so many asking for a bigger battery, why offer a small one?

So they can have a starting price of $35,000. It is possible it could be like the Model S 40, and that less than 10% of the people order the small battery so they eliminate it. But I doubt that because a range of ~215 is plenty for most people.

The only reason I want the bigger battery is for the extra performance that I don't need.

They'll do what they just did when they discontinued the 70. If you order the smaller battery, you'll be software-locked into that capacity, unless you pay the extra for the OTA to unlock the extra "___"kWh difference.

There are "70" 's shipping now that are physically 75's. Streamlined manufacturing.

if one chooses wrong, can a small battery be swapped out for a big one?
Although technically possible, I doubt upgrades will be offered for negligent buyers. They tried this for one MS customer with the result being it was more trouble than it was worth. The battery size is also part of the VIN.
They may create a new program for upgrades, however you'd see a high price for it.

I'm not an automotive engineer, but I've seen auto assembly lines in operation, and I have some significant automotive repair & upgrade experience in my past. I would expect the front suspension assembly to be pre-assembled off the main line, and then when a particular 3 comes down the line, someone checks the build sheet to see if it is a D or not, then they just bolt in whichever subassembly is needed. The D or non-D. Can't get much simpler, aside from the cars all being D, or none being D.

Even getting the base $35,000 model is going to push my budget to the max, the only 2 options I am even considering are the big battery and the D. No glass roof. No fancy wheels. No fancy interior. No cold weather stuff. No metallic paint. And right now it is looking like the big battery and non-D is how I'll go.

Ultimately, it depends on the cost of the options, the improvements in 0-60 times for each configuration, and my exact financial condition on the day I am filling out my order form.

But there definitely needs to be a big battery non-D configuration available.

Aside from range, another benefit to the big battery is that X number of miles driven per day and recharged overnight will use a smaller amount of the batteries' capacity.

Say you drive 100 miles a day, 5 days a week. That would be half of a small battery but only 1/3 of a big battery, therefore it can be kept in what seems to be the optimal 50%-70% state of charge for much more of its life than a smaller battery swinging up and down through its range much more each day. So far, degradation does not seem to be much of an issue, but I'm sure people are still concerned about it.

I've seen the differing mileage charts showing the Model S D getting around 10 more miles on a charge, but that's not enough for me to spend a few thousand extra on it. The D is going to have to knock at least a half second off the 0-60 for me to even consider it.

Reactions: jkk_
I watched the roll out of the D for the MS. that convinced me to opt for AWD. (as did comments on this forum). I'm persuaded to go bigger battery, but the comments that say many overbought is giving me pause. One of the selling points is the autopilot-which may dictate battery size. acceleration to 60 is not a big deal. interstate mph is a performance mandate- and I think either battery will do this. the wait to get the car has cost me hours of handwringing. perhaps the smart move is to delete this website and wait for Reveal 2

Even getting the base $35,000 model is going to push my budget to the max, the only 2 options I am even considering are the big battery and the D. No glass roof. No fancy wheels. No fancy interior. No cold weather stuff. No metallic paint. And right now it is looking like the big battery and non-D is how I'll go.

Ultimately, it depends on the cost of the options, the improvements in 0-60 times for each configuration, and my exact financial condition on the day I am filling out my order form.
I get that you have a budget, most Model ≡ buyers do I'm sure. But the two options you're limiting yourself to are probably the most individually expensive (AWD and larger battery).

Reactions: garsh