Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Larger battery size around the corner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another thing a longer range batt buys, is less super charger congestion. If Tesla really wants to scale up and start selling 500k cars per year, they’re either going to have to start dropping superchargers on every corner (like gas stations), or increase the range of the vehicles.

Or both.

You’re right, all those things are factors as well, but between the two cars I postulated aerodynamics is a constant (power power required is a square of the speed gained, double the speed quadruple the power required). The rest would take way too much physics to compare but also increase in a non-linear fashion with weight, which is why I broke it down into energy consumed per lb/mile. This is all assuming 7400 lbs didn’t break your model X :)

FWIW I was an aeronautical engineering major in college.

Power is actually proportional to the cube of speed, not the square. You are confusing force with power here.

In the market to trade for an X in 6 months to a year, but towing my Airstream is important to me and 300 miles of EPA range while towing is just not quite enough for me to be comfortable. I agree with the post above about 400 EPA miles and V3 supercharging being the sweet spot in this scenario. I'm hoping Tesla can reach those numbers in 2019.

In the market to trade for an X in 6 months to a year, but towing my Airstream is important to me and 300 miles of EPA range while towing is just not quite enough for me to be comfortable. I agree with the post above about 400 EPA miles and V3 supercharging being the sweet spot in this scenario. I'm hoping Tesla can reach those numbers in 2019.
Actually have bad news for you. With a Model X 100D, you will be lucky to get 300 miles of real range even without towing. With an Airstream, your true range will be much closer to 200 miles or less.

If this is an absolute dealbreaker for you, I'd suggest waiting until the next generation, but even then there is no guarantee of more range. More range means bigger/denser batteries, which cost more and generate more waste. I personally think Tesla is trying to go the direction of keeping range as-is, but increasing efficiency, reducing weight, reducing cost, and speeding up charge times.

Not going to get 300 miles towing a trailer. Figure 1/2 that.

Model X is great for towing loads up to 5,000 lbs, but for relatively short distances. Still not the best vehicle for towing (still goes to diesels) as while they have all the power you could want, they still have a relatively small "tank." Towing from Supercharger to Supercharger still requires lots of stops and maybe even needing to disconnect to get a charge at busy stations.

I've found it great for towing many times, but the batteries can only do so much. I only have a 75 battery, but it tows thousands of pounds with ease, but not for thousands of miles.

Even a larger battery pack would not make it competitive with a well equipped diesel truck.

Downside of a diesel truck is that is is way overkill for 99% of the time for most of us. (also super smelly).

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
I believe larger battery packs will come with the redesigned MS/MX which if you believe the leaks would be in 2020. Right now MS and MX's use the 18650 batteries that are not built in the Gigafactory but are imported. The model 3 uses the newer 21700 battery which are built in the Gigafactory. Looking in the news I see that Panasonic and Tesla are 2 years ahead of their plan for adding 3 more battery lines to the Gigafactory. As they are able to increase the volume of 21700 batteries I believe Tesla will make the switch at to supporting the 21700 battery with the redesigned 2020 MX, MS.

Reactions: Bogobec
I believe larger battery packs will come with the redesigned MS/MX which if you believe the leaks would be in 2020. Right now MS and MX's use the 18650 batteries that are not built in the Gigafactory but are imported. The model 3 uses the newer 21700 battery which are built in the Gigafactory. Looking in the news I see that Panasonic and Tesla are 2 years ahead of their plan for adding 3 more battery lines to the Gigafactory. As they are able to increase the volume of 21700 batteries I believe Tesla will make the switch at to supporting the 21700 battery with the redesigned 2020 MX, MS.

The switch from 18650 to 2170 is inevitable. But that has nothing to do with larger battery packs. Literally zero correlation between battery technology and battery "size" because for all we know, Tesla could keep the size the same but decrease weight and thus improve agility and handling, like they did with Model 3.

Talk to rich rebuilds and see if he can build a battery pack into the bottom of your airstream.

I for one, do not want an extra couple hundred lbs of batteries in normal everyday driving. My 75D does fine for 90% of my drives. But if I could double my range to cancel out the efficiency loss once the trailer goes on. That would be greatly appreciated.

The point of bigger battery packs is not really to gain range but to achieve a higher charge curve for longer, reducing charge times per miles gained. Secondarily, losing 40 miles per max charge 10 years from purchase date is not so bad in a 100D vs a 75D. More and more superchargers are coming online everyday. A 120kWh battery will have a bigger C/2 so can charge even faster between SCs thereby reducing wait times.

@spectrum 100D = 295 miles. 75D = 237. Difference is 58 miles for almost $20K more. It doesn't make economic sense to buy 100kWh when 75kWh gets you to the next supercharger or two just fine, until you realize instead of spending 45min to charge in a 75D, you spend 30min or less in a 100kWh due to better charge curve. Bigger battery packs = faster charge = less wait times. Range increase is minimal. Wait time is much more valuable.
The 2020 roadster's 620-mile range on a 200kWh pack is impressive, but who is going to drive EPA 65mph highway in a 2020 roadster to get that? It's the faster charge time especially with SCv3 that counts with many more individual cells spreading the high charge load.
Let's see your argument against my statements.

@spectrum 100D = 295 miles. 75D = 237. Difference is 58 miles for almost $20K more. It doesn't make economic sense to buy 100kWh when 75kWh gets you to the next supercharger or two just fine, until you realize instead of spending 45min to charge in a 75D, you spend 30min or less in a 100kWh due to better charge curve. Bigger battery packs = faster charge = less wait times. Range increase is minimal. Wait time is much more valuable.
The 2020 roadster's 620-mile range on a 200kWh pack is impressive, but who is going to drive EPA 65mph highway in a 2020 roadster to get that? It's the faster charge time especially with SCv3 that counts with many more individual cells spreading the high charge load.
Let's see your argument against my statements.

There's no argument against your statement, except the part where you state that wait time is more valuable. Not to me it isn't, because I rarely use Supercharging - maybe for less then 10% of my annual mileage. I know I'm not alone in this regard. The extra 58 miles on the other hand could be extremely valuable if I was going to be 50 miles short of home on every commute without it! As it happens I'm okay with the 75 kWh battery, but only because my daily drive is usually sub 100 miles. For me the primary reason to get a larger battery would be the extended range, the faster Supercharging being a secondary bonus. For some both advantages would be useful.

Not going to get 300 miles towing a trailer. Figure 1/2 that.

Model X is great for towing loads up to 5,000 lbs, but for relatively short distances. Still not the best vehicle for towing (still goes to diesels) as while they have all the power you could want, they still have a relatively small "tank." Towing from Supercharger to Supercharger still requires lots of stops and maybe even needing to disconnect to get a charge at busy stations.

I've found it great for towing many times, but the batteries can only do so much. I only have a 75 battery, but it tows thousands of pounds with ease, but not for thousands of miles.

Even a larger battery pack would not make it competitive with a well equipped diesel truck.

Downside of a diesel truck is that is is way overkill for 99% of the time for most of us. (also super smelly).

Tow one of these This new camper for electric cars has its own battery pack, electric motors, and solar panels