Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have finally wore out the OEM tires that came on my 2016 p100d. I purchased the car with 19" wheels with the intent of using these wheels for winter tires and purchasing larger diameter wheels for my summer tires. I like the ride quality of the 19 inch wheels and the handling is much better than I expected. I have decided on 20 inch wheels to, hopefully, keep some of the ride quality that I like in the 19's but get the improved look and handling of the 21's. I am tempted by the cost of the VS Forged model 12's-9" in front and 10.5" in the rear. I would like to fill the wheel wells as much as possible for a more aggressive look, but I don't want any(much) rubbing. The VS Forged wheels allow full customization from what I understand. Is there an offset that would let me use Michelin PS4's 255/40-20 in the front and 295/35-20 in the rear? Has anyone tried this. I don't want to use spacers. If I can't do this I am planning on using 245/40-20 in the front and 285/35-20 in the rear. Does anyone have offset recommendations for this setup? Thanks

I just drove a 100D with 19" wheels and the overall ride quality is not much better than my 21" wheels. What I instantly noticed was how I missed the steering response and handling of the 21's. Honestly, between 20's and 21's, if you're going to go bigger, you mine as well go 21. I really cant believe anyone could tell the difference in ride quality.

I just drove a 100D with 19" wheels and the overall ride quality is not much better than my 21" wheels. What I instantly noticed was how I missed the steering response and handling of the 21's. Honestly, between 20's and 21's, if you're going to go bigger, you mine as well go 21. I really cant believe anyone could tell the difference in ride quality.

Interesting. I had a P85D loaner with 21" recently (I've got 19" on mine), and on Los Angeles streets and freeways I could definitely feel the difference in comfort.
I agree with you on the steering response difference of course. :)

I originally started with the 19" wheels. Almost 4 years later, I finally swapped to the 21" Turbines (with Michelin Pilot Sports) for cosmetic reasons. I notice more tire noise, feel closer to the gravel on roads that have seen better days, and the things that used to rattle in the cabin just ever so slightly are more pronounced now. It is certainly less comfortable compared to riding on the 19" stock wheels and the Michelin Primacies. Tolerable, but noticeable. I feel a little more in-the-moment with the larger wheels due to road feedback.

On the upside there's the sharper steering and easier/more confident corning on those curved freeway on/off ramps. Oh yeah, and every time I walk up to my car I pause for a moment and appreciate the sexiness. Howr'ya doin' there? Autopilot here often?

• Funny
Reactions: shthpnz
I have 19s on my S, when I get a loaner with 21s, its sure and true and planted around corners at some pretty high speeds. Realizing things are going to wear out pretty fast, I cannot wait to put Arachnids on this car. 25K service coming and alignment contained within that and those new shoes. Yes, it'll be different and hopefully different in a great way. After that wears off and two sets of 21" tires, perhaps,well it'll be time for a new S, with a new look perhaps. I just cannot do Model 3, I don't care how GREAT it is. To me its a grocery getter.

I have a 2014 P85. I ordered it with 21" wheels and man did it look great! Driving around the Inland Empire however, I've hit alot of bumps and potholes. I finally went to 19's this summer. The ride is noticeably smoother, quieter, and I get a little more range. I just decided that at my age(senior citizen) comfort was more desirable than a slight bump in looks and handling.