Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Largest gaps between Superchargers on US Interstates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless we can find a battery chemistry that doesn't lose 50% of range when it hits -35C, we will need smaller 35-75kW rural stations (whatever the grid can support) to top people up between major centers. I think PEHV is probably the better bet for super cold areas, but people with BEVs will still need to travel through them.

Reactions: DrGriz
Unless we can find a battery chemistry that doesn't lose 50% of range when it hits -35C, we will need smaller 35-75kW rural stations (whatever the grid can support) to top people up between major centers. I think PEHV is probably the better bet for super cold areas, but people with BEVs will still need to travel through them.
If you can L2 charge overnight, and not have big head winds at 70+ mph speeds, the cold is not nearly that much hit on range. So, the more superchargers the better, IMHO, but more L2’s at hotels would be even better!

Reactions: Prairie

Rather than PHEV you could have separate cabin heaters. That way you can have combustion used for what it's best at: heating.

To me the need for PHEV is greatest for emergency vehicles, but that can still be a serial EREV rather than a parallel PHEV.

Last edited:
IIRC, the Ford Ranger EV had and the New Flyer electric buses have a separate propane (or maybe CNG) heater for cabin heating in extreme cold climates.
Pure EVs may not be perfectly suitable for these extreme places but they'll still benefit greatly if the rest of the world switches to EVs, handling climate change issues while not placing as much demand on the fossil fuels they depend on.

It sure makes sense to use one of those 12v air heaters you can get for a truck, they can run on diesel or maybe propane. My Sprinter had a hydronic version as Diesel engines don't work so great w/o pre-heating so this was added to the coolant system and circulated warm coolant before you started the engine, using just a bit of battery and diesel.

The other EV I have someone used one of those to heat the coolant in their car w/o using a ton of electricity, I don't know if it would work as well in a Tesla and I live in the most temperate climate so I'll probably NOT be the one that tries it first.

Splitter!

Greenfield, WI will be a splitter on I-43. It will split the 125.7 mile gap, 62.6 from the start at I-39 near Beloit, IL, and 63.6 miles to Sheboygan, WI.

Reactions: mociaf9 and KJD
Splitter!

Greenfield, WI will be a splitter on I-43. It will split the 125.7 mile gap, 62.6 from the start at I-39 near Beloit, IL, and 63.6 miles to Sheboygan, WI.

Alt Splitter!

It turns out that Glendale, WI is already under construction. That will split the 125.7 mile gap, 77 miles from the start at I-39 near Beloit, IL, and 49.4 miles to Sheboygan, WI.

Splitter!

On I-20, splits the 104 mile gap, 69.9 miles from Shreveport, LA, and 34.6 miles to Shreveport, LA.
It's 4th in a chain of 5 gaps of over 100 miles, so will be particularly helpful for skipping.

Nothing on I-83 going north through Nebraska and South Dakota. Desperate need due to climate conditions and lack of charge. Same on I-20 across northern Nebraska. Both are major travel routes.
And in rural Montana, some may never see gas stations, either neither........
it is 209 miles from north platte ne ( Tesla supercharger due fall 2022) to the supercharger in Murdo, SD. This is a north south route used by many vehicles including Walmart semis out of the North Platte distribution center and a lot of tourists. Needs a splitter. Winter and winds. There is nothing really in between.

Reactions: Rocky_H
it is 209 miles from north platte ne ( Tesla supercharger due fall 2022) to the supercharger in Murdo, SD. This is a north south route used by many vehicles including Walmart semis out of the North Platte distribution center and a lot of tourists. Needs a splitter. Winter and winds. There is nothing really in between.
Thedford would do it and it would serve both NE 2 and US 83, as well as the Nebraska National Forest in Halsey. However, there really isn't much traffic through there.

Reactions: unk45