Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Largest gaps between Superchargers on US Interstates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
…a lot of cars have been damaged trying to get into it, on a curb you hit when navigating the entrance…
Off topic: Let me know if you find a thread on hard to navigate Superchargers. I let someone else drive coming out of the Linq Supercharger in Las Vegas and destroyed an Arachnid rim. It ground it up as it rotated forward and then slid down the rim.

At least I got to pay extra for being in the lot a few minutes more than an hour. /s

Off topic: Let me know if you find a thread on hard to navigate Superchargers. I let someone else drive coming out of the Linq Supercharger in Las Vegas and destroyed an Arachnid rim. It ground it up as it rotated forward and then slid down the rim.

At least I got to pay extra for being in the lot a few minutes more than an hour. /s
You may have started another important thread with this. Mods what do you think? There is a new Supercharger on Foothill Blvd in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. It’s hard to spot from either direction on Foothill, difficult to access from one direction & the risk of body damage in some of the stalls is high as they are pull through in a parking lot with narrow lanes. Now back to the main topic.

@ItsNotAboutTheMoney can you please update with the new Orangeburg, South Carolina supercharger? It will delete one entry but add another again for Asheville to Orangeburg now at 180 miles.
Working on today's updates. :)

Aside: Veedersburg, IN is open. It's a splitter on I-74 of a gap of 114.4 miles, 56.9 miles from Champaign, IL and 59.4 miles to Speedway, IN.

Last edited:
Splitter!
Orangeburg, SC splits 248.5 miles, 180.4 miles from Asheville - Thetford St, NC and 69 miles to North Charleston, SC.
The 180.4 mile gap from Asheville - Thetford St, NC to Orangeburg, SC will still be one of the 10 largest gaps remaining, so will also need to be split.
Clinton, SC, close to the middle of that 180.4 mile gap has exits with gas stations and hotels, but 2 Superchargers, with 1 in west Spartanburg, SC would make sense.

Splitter!
Orangeburg, SC splits 248.5 miles, 180.4 miles from Asheville - Thetford St, NC and 69 miles to North Charleston, SC.
The 180.4 mile gap from Asheville - Thetford St, NC to Orangeburg, SC will still be one of the 10 largest gaps remaining, so will also need to be split.
Clinton, SC, close to the middle of that 180.4 mile gap has exits with gas stations and hotels, but 2 Superchargers, with 1 in west Spartanburg, SC would make sense.
If they could put one near the I-85 and I-26 split interchange that would be ideal. I-85 needs another one as well.

Also the new split is Orangeburg to Asheville not Orangeburg to North Charleston :)

Reactions: PStewart
Mooresville, NC is Open.
It's a pathetic splitter of 129 miles on I-77, 19.2 miles from Charlotte - Northlake Centre Pkwy, NC and 112.7 miles to Wytheville, VA.
Oh man and I’m starting to hate wytheville. Only 6 150kw stalls frequently busy. You really can’t skip it going northbound because it’s uphill. But I guess mooresville will be good for me since I travel a lot between davidson nc and Ohio….i can use Moresville to start my trip home.

Reactions: 1101011
Hmm ...

I got 1159.3 miles following US-2 for that.
If Shelby, MT actually gets built it'll split the gaps to 417.5 miles and 741.9 miles.
US-60 Wickenburg, AZ to Miner, MO is 1583.5 miles. Plenty of places in between, but not actually close to that highway. Even once Socorro, NM is open, Socorro, NM to Miner, MO will be 1152.8 miles.
Newly opened (16 November 2021) Supercharger in Soldotna, Alaska creates (narrows?) the gap to the newly opened supercharger in Prince George, BC to 1,852 miles! It's not a single highway, but it is along the shortest driving path between Alaska and the Continental US.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 7.38.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 7.38.36 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 91
It's the end of the 2021. Here's are my counts for the number of superchargers needed to for end-to-end Interstate coverage with maximum separation (this not take into account any possible concurrencies or intersections):

Max SeparationNeeded01/17/2021
251432n/k

I started keeping the counts 1/17/2021 and I have included that number for comparison.
I've only just added the count for 25 miles (curiosity) so I don't have an earlier number for 25 miles.

Significant progress is being made, but there's still a long way to go. and that's just for Interstates.

US Numbered Highways have a lot more to go, although there are more concurrencies and intersections so those numbers could come down quickly:
Max SeparationNeeded11/05/2021
255508u/k

Last edited:

New Moraine, OH service center. Plans mention Supercharger. If it's public that will split along I-75.
Cincinnati, OH to Lima, OH is 119.7 miles.

Existing Dayton, OH is a significant diversion, 11 miles and 15 1/2 minutes so it falls a bit outside my 10 mile limit.)
This one would still apparently be a 9 1/2 minute diversion, due to the location not being directly off the Interstate, but only 1.4 miles with more lower speed driving, so saving energy (and time) as well.

With the construction of a Sheetz at I-90 and OH-306, I'd hoped to be the first to announce a splitter between Erie PA and Sheffield OH. But a quick look at the site plan did not show any chargers. Perhaps after the initial buildup? We'll see...

But conversations with the City Engineer did raise the question. How much additional juice would it take to run the usual Tesla octoplex?

Wharton, TX.
A new Supercharger location identified at a Buc'ee's.

Splitter! Will split a 100.9 mile gap on (Future) I-69/US-59, 68.9 miles from Victoria, TX, 33.2 miles to Richmond, TX.

Reactions: cmy4x4 and RTPEV

Wharton, TX.
A new Supercharger location identified at a Buc'ee's.

Splitter! Will split a 100.9 mile gap on (Future) I-69/US-59, 68.9 miles from Victoria, TX, 33.2 miles to Richmond, TX.

Just to humor me, Money:

Interstate 69 has been on the books in various iterations and spurs (69W, 69C, 69E) for decades now. Yet is still a disjointed and incomplete roadway with US59 filling in the gaps. If my memory serves, Congress authorized the highway but did not provide funding. Funding was left to state and local agencies.

I am not as sanguine as you that this roadway will ever be completed in a reasonable (<10 years) time frame. What are your criteria for placing this on your listing, and if this status is unchanged ten years hence, will you change your mind?

:)